ADVERTISEMENT

3A Final: Lord Botetourt vs. Magna Vista

Who wins?

• Lord Botetourt

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Magna Vista

Votes: 20 71.4%

• Total voters
Magna Vista is in the same area as they were last year when they beat 14-0 Layfayette. They beat a very decent Heritage team, took out Brookville who was at the top of 3A for weeks, dismantled Staunton River who put up 85 points against the #1 team in the west, and beat and had over 400 yrds of offense against the overall #1 3A Phoebus phantoms. Sorry, but their weak regular season schedule has nothing to do with this game. MV has a very good run defense, if they can take care of the ball on offense and not turn it over then they should repeat. I know they will get LB best game, its all or nothing now.. Should be a good game!

Last edited:
Question: Who was the kid from LB who was a serious D1 prospect that torn his ACL (may have not been an ACL but it was a pretty serious injury) but returned to play this year?

Magna vista is very good but weak football area lb wins
Wouldn't say weak. They've played JF, GW, Byrd (who didn't make the playoffs but was very good), and beat up on everybody they've played in the playoffs with the 2nd half of the Phoebus game being the exclusion. That's a pretty solid resume to me. LB has flown under the radar in the area this year with JF, Salem, Giles, Glenvar, Pulaski, etc having good years so there wasn't as much talk about the Cavs. I didn't think they'd beat Hopewell the way that they did. I know a lot of people said Hopewell lacked depth, but they were as talented as they come. They play in probably a top 15 district in the state (Dinwiddie, Dale, MBK, Matoca had a good year, Petersburg was down but is usually decently competitive) and they still only lost 2 games (Dinwiddie &Hanover). LB has to have all the condifidence in the world right now. I'd love to see MV repeat and will be rooting for the Warriors, but my gut says LB in an instant classic.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Wouldn't say weak. They've played JF, GW, Byrd (who didn't make the playoffs but was very good), and beat up on everybody they've played in the playoffs with the 2nd half of the Phoebus game being the exclusion. That's a pretty solid resume to me. LB has flown under the radar in the area this year with JF, Salem, Giles, Glenvar, Pulaski, etc having good years so there wasn't as much talk about the Cavs. I didn't think they'd beat Hopewell the way that they did. I know a lot of people said Hopewell lacked depth, but they were as talented as they come. They play in probably a top 15 district in the state (Dinwiddie, Dale, MBK, Matoca had a good year, Petersburg was down but is usually decently competitive) and they still only lost 2 games (Dinwiddie &Hanover). LB has to have all the condifidence in the world right now. I'd love to see MV repeat and will be rooting for the Warriors, but my gut says LB in an instant classic.

DanvilleSportsHead, I watched the Hopewell vs LB game and Hopewell had it's way with LB. Hopewell had several red zone opportunities to score and turn overs cost them in the red zone. So, had they been able to produce points on those red zone opportunities the score may would have been different. But my question to you is what are your reasons for stating LB in an instant classic? I'm just curious.

DanvilleSportsHead, I watched the Hopewell vs LB game and Hopewell had it's way with LB. Hopewell had several red zone opportunities to score and turn overs cost them in the red zone. So, had they been able to produce points on those red zone opportunities the score may would have been different. But my question to you is what are your reasons for stating LB in an instant classic? I'm just curious.
I think both teams will score points but I see LB grinding it out, chewing up the clock. Haven't seen LB's defense, but let's be real...I see Jaq, Shoalin, Tra, and Devin all making big plays like they've done all year. I think LB will score too but not as quick as MV will. LB has a pretty big O-line as always and if Lythgoe plays, they'll have the 2 headed monster of him and Fletcher in the backfield. Don't get me wrong, I'll be there rooting for MV and hope I'm wrong in my predictions. I think it's going to be a great game, resembling the finish of the 2011 State Championship between Brookville and JM.

I think both teams will score points but I see LB grinding it out, chewing up the clock. Haven't seen LB's defense, but let's be real...I see Jaq, Shoalin, Tra, and Devin all making big plays like they've done all year. I think LB will score too but not as quick as MV will. LB has a pretty big O-line as always and if Lythgoe plays, they'll have the 2 headed monster of him and Fletcher in the backfield. Don't get me wrong, I'll be there rooting for MV and hope I'm wrong in my predictions. I think it's going to be a great game, resembling the finish of the 2011 State Championship between Brookville and JM.

I have seen several LB games on film and in my opinion their defense isn't consistent. Hopewell again had it's way with LB both passing and rushing but LB did make a few defensive stops along with the turnovers from Hopewell made the difference in the game. I've heard several times how big LB's O-line is just like MV heard how big and strong Staunton River's O-line was in their offense. However, the MV Blue Funk pretty much shut down Staunton River's offense. Overstreet finished the game with a total of 35 total rushing yards against MV. So as has been said before if MV's Blue Funk defense comes to play like they have been I think LB will be forced out of their run offense quick. Again that's my opinion. I know that Coach Favero and his staff will have MV ready for LB both offensively and defensively so I pray that the players will be focused and ready to repeat and continue making history. #warriorstrong

GO WARRIORS!!!!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Lythgoe.. He was injured again Sat and did not return. Not sure about his status this weekend.
Ridge, what have you heard about the injury to #73. They put him on crutches pretty quickly after he went down. Looked like a knee to me.

I've seen Hopewell several times this year, so I have a pretty good idea of their capabilities. I wouldn't read a tremendous amount into LB winning that game. Hopewell has been streaky in their games. Great for a quarter, then flat, and back and forth. Remember, they were a touchdown away from putting the game away against JM. Then they slacked up and could have, should have, lost that game.

The first half of the MV - Phoebus game was like, WOW! MV has speed on both sides of the ball. Power up the middle. Attacked the edges, especially their left side. QB has a rifle. They really had no problem moving the ball.

On defense, they neutralized the speedster #5 for Phoebus. Shut down the running back, and covered well.

The game plan was perfect. Stop the run because the QB was not a good passer.

Everything worked like clockwork. Then the second half started. MV made several critical mistakes that gave Phoebus momentum. And the Phoebus receivers made two remarkable circus catches that helped them stay alive. These catches were necessary because the throws were that far off target. And MV gave up a safety and possession on a kick off. I think the MV player was figuring the ball was headed out of bounds. By the time he realized it wasn't he was doomed. He tried to run laterally along the goal line, but it was too late.

If any one of the events in the second half that went against MV had not happened, we would be talking about how they dominated Phoebus.

So, assuming the following, here is the way I think the state championship will turn out.

LB beat a decent Hopewell, but not a consistently superior Hopewell.

MV beat a average team in Phoebus. A Phoebus with some really good athletes, but just not enough. No depth at all for Phoebus.

MV showed nearly flawless execution in the first half. That wasn't a fluke. They stumbled in the second half, but proved they could rally and play like they were capable of when the game was on the line.

I think MV comes out hard and fast, gets a lead and continues to pile on points. As LB try's to make a comeback via the pass, we see some sacks and hurries, and an enevitable fumble or interception.

42 - 28 MV, with the final two LB scores being basically meaningless.

Just like hopewell found out ..LB will out muscle out class and out play u. They also have thee speed in both back fields to keep up with mv
I agree with everything except that LB has the speed in both back fields to keep up with MV. I have seen both teams play this year and I must say, MV has a different type of speed in Hairston and Redd.

thats what was said last year, we know what the outcome was 2014 3a champs back for more!!!!

By the way---just to throw a monkey wrench into the conversation ---Some talk out there that Salem will be 3A very very soon

How many students does Salem have? And what is the cutoffs for each division? I seen a post somewhere that you have to stay in the division until next vhsl cycle, which would be when 2017?

By the way---just to throw a monkey wrench into the conversation ---Some talk out there that Salem will be 3A very very soon
That wouldn't surprise me. They and LT are one of the smaller 4A schools under the current VHSL classifications. Perhaps both Salem and LT might drop to 3A in the near future...just saying

That wouldn't surprise me. They and LT are one of the smaller 4A schools under the current VHSL classifications. Perhaps both Salem and LT might drop to 3A in the near future...just saying
If that happens those two programs may never loose another game to anyone but each other. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT