ADVERTISEMENT

4A East Final Dinwiddie VS. Lafayette

You really overthink this whole "country" thing.
He does! Danville said it perfectly! Couldn't have said it better myself! Bunch of hard nosed kids willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Blue collar kids who go to work everyday and have earned everything. Haven't been given anything! Danville it does fit their "swag". The COUNTRY BOYS have plenty of swag! Just a catchy name that I think sounds good describes our boys! BTW Danville I grew up on Duncan Road right next to Squirrel Level. Danville you know you are country when you are pumped that a taco bell is being built! Haha.....not too much here brother but I wouldn't have it any other way! COUNTRY BOYS!!

Thanks, I should have booked something weeks ago. I knew I was going regardless. If someone post a few suggestions, I'm going to book something tonight.

The VHSL link for Williamsburg lodging is not active. Not that that would help much, but you have to wonder what gives?

Years ago, before Va Beach became a winter time getaway destination, my wife and I rode down one January weekend, just to get away for a couple of days. We couldn't find a room. There was some huge youth soccer tournament that weekend. We eventually got help from a guy I know down there, that knows a guy, that knows a guy...! But man, I was sweating bullets that I was going to have to just turn around and go home. Something funny happened that weekend too.

It was a day about like today, sunny and fairly warm. I let my wife sleep, and went out and bought coffee and a paper. I sat down on a bench on the boardwalk. Rollerblades were all the rage back then, I looked up to see a REALLY old guy slowly, very methodically, all bent over, making his way down the boardwalk. I was thinking to myself, that poor old guy could easily fall and break a hip. Somebody needs to get those skates away from him.

About the time he passed me, the guy on the bench next to mine looked up from his paper and said, "well, hi Bill". Bill spun around backwards on his skates, straightened up and said, "well hey John, you are out mighty early. And Bill kept talking as he picked up speed, going backwards, effortlessly. I guess this was a good example of the "book by the cover, thing".
Stay at Smithfield Station, short drive to the ferry and a short trip through the 'Burg to get to Zable. Traffic in IOW/Surry won't be a big deal.
I think they're about $109 (ish)/ night. Fine dining and adult style beverages, on the Pagan River.

Reactions: MrSir#5
He does! Danville said it perfectly! Couldn't have said it better myself! Bunch of hard nosed kids willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done. Blue collar kids who go to work everyday and have earned everything. Haven't been given anything! Danville it does fit their "swag". The COUNTRY BOYS have plenty of swag! Just a catchy name that I think sounds good describes our boys! BTW Danville I grew up on Duncan Road right next to Squirrel Level. Danville you know you are country when you are pumped that a taco bell is being built! Haha.....not too much here brother but I wouldn't have it any other way! COUNTRY BOYS!!
LOL LOL!!!! I love it! First time I ever came to Dinwiddie High School was 3 years and watched y'all play a very very very good LT team, I couldn't believe how country the area was being so close to P-town, which me being from country Danville thought was very urban and looked at it as surburban Richmond. I've seen Dinwiddie play quite of few times since and they don't back down for nobody. They remind me of one of those Texas teams you see on Friday Night Lights, where anything short of a state championship is a failed season.

I wouldn't trade Dinwiddie for anywhere else. I grew up in Chester, then moved to Matoaca in high school. I thought that was country, lol. Moved to Richmond city after high school. Hated the city. when it was time for my daughter to start school, had an opportunity of live in dinwiddie and took it. I realized then, I didn't want to live anywhere else..EVER. Living in a county with 1 high school and seeing the community come together to support the kids is amazing. We rally behind each other in times of triumph or tragedy. @wahoogen20 and @DanvilleSportsHead couldn't agree with ya'll more. Wahoo, your not the only one pumped about Taco bell :D. Good luck to both teams tommorow and safe travels to everyone as well.

LT were better in your mind and some others, but don't you think the whole LT was better thing and didn't play like it is getting old? Salem won the game, and deserve to be called the better team. The key word there is " team" . That was last year. So if Dinwiddie somehow loses the champ game this year , no matter what , the team that beats them is not the better team? Come on man!!!
That's the "any given Sunday" scenario. Even the Bears lost to the Dolphins during their epic season. No chance Miami was the better team. I don't agree with your conclusion.

I wouldn't trade Dinwiddie for anywhere else. I grew up in Chester, then moved to Matoaca in high school. I thought that was country, lol. Moved to Richmond city after high school. Hated the city. when it was time for my daughter to start school, had an opportunity of live in dinwiddie and took it. I realized then, I didn't want to live anywhere else..EVER. Living in a county with 1 high school and seeing the community come together to support the kids is amazing. We rally behind each other in times of triumph or tragedy. @wahoogen20 and @DanvilleSportsHead couldn't agree with ya'll more. Wahoo, your not the only one pumped about Taco bell :D. Good luck to both teams tommorow and safe travels to everyone as well.
Shoot, I remember the hoopla when Tomsbrook got a McDonalds!

Reactions: 1Gensfan
@

@1Gensfan if you thought Richmond was too city then you do need to stay in Dinwiddie your whole life lol. Not sure how much traveling you've done but even Richmond is a relatively country-fied city. But hey no harm in that... You are suppose to have pride in where you are from and love it! Getting close to game day. This weekend is so big!

@mbonape1 I agree with you. Actually, my husband is from Houston,TX and I lived there with him for a very short while before moving back to Richmond. I was so lost there, when we returned to Richmond it seemed really small town. I'm just not a city person. Will you be at the game? DP pointed you and Springer out to me at the last game, things were just so intense, I didn't introduce myself.

All the practices are over now-,gametime tomorrow. The pickem is 100% for Dinwiddie and the poll 27-2 for Dinwiddie. Buckle up time!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
DP, some friends and the Ford Fire Department fed the Generals lady night. I have read about possible overconfidence and I can tell you these young men were quiet and focussed. No joking or laughing at all.

Coach Vick (chaplain) provided the devotion, It wasnt about winning. It was about the importance of giving back and not being selfish. The prayer was offered and I saw the team/coaches join hands.

My mind went back many years when I was in the same position as these young men. I quickly realized just how lucky I am to have played this game and what it stands for.

This is the culture and the program I so love. The food smelled awesome, but after taking this moment in the smell of victory was much more prominent. Go Generals.

Lafayette better bring their "A" game, and I'm sure they will. No one can predict the outcome, but I can predict that the Generals are as focused as I have ever seen them. Absolutely no looking past this game. They are prepared, confident, and ready to execute.

I jokingly told my wife to go ask Coach Mills if he was ready for Christmas. (Of course she wouldn't). I told her his reply would probably be "Christmas"? When do we play them? Coach Mills is a deeply spiritual man, so I'm just being factious. But to say Coach Mills is anything other that totally focused would be a gross understatement.

Oh boy...Navy nation looks like they are up and at um early this morning. Time to put the women and children to bed and go looking for dinner!

Good luck out there to both teams. Doesn't get any realer than this!

DP, some friends and the Ford Fire Department fed the Generals lady night. I have read about possible overconfidence and I can tell you these young men were quiet and focussed. No joking or laughing at all.

Coach Vick (chaplain) provided the devotion, It wasnt about winning. It was about the importance of giving back and not being selfish. The prayer was offered and I saw the team/coaches join hands.

My mind went back many years when I was in the same position as these young men. I quickly realized just how lucky I am to have played this game and what it stands for.

This is the culture and the program I so love. The food smelled awesome, but after taking this moment in the smell of victory was much more prominent. Go Generals.
Coach Vick is a good dude! Known him pretty much since I was 9. Played ball with his son.

First let me say I enjoyed meeting you Lafayette and congratulate the Lafayette Rams on a great season. They are a good team and should be proud of their effort. The Rams put a scare in Navy Nation. Proud of the Generals for playing hard and getting the win.

The Lafayette coaching staff put together a good game plan and with the exception of a few hickups executed very well. There running game was very effective today and defensively they slowed the Dinwiddie offense keeping us out of sync. Double teaming the mlb with the guards was spot on.

Once again Freeland played very well for Dinwiddie and intercepted two passes. Witt threw for two touchdowns and did not throw an interception.

Overall, it was a physical game and the Generals survived. Both teams had too many penalties and shot themselves in the foot on several drives. On to Williamsburg to face Salem. If the Generals don't eliminate stupid penalties and execute a bit better on both sides of the ball the Spartans will repeat.

Congrats to Dinwiddie on a nice win.,.and congrats to Lafayette on very nice effort against a very good Dinwiddie team. As I've said before, there is no shame at all in losing to this Dinwiddie team. Very happy to see that the Rams competed well, and showed that they truly belonged to be there...as some have not given them the respect they deserve in the past. Hopefully this performance will put a bit of that to rest.

Good luck to Dinwiddie next week...it's certainly not gonna get any easier with the Spartans looming.

I met Lafayette, and several other Lafayette fans today. Great bunch of folks.

After the game, as the Lafayette players were headed back to the locker room, a wonderful thing happened.
The six year old grandson of one of the Dinwiddie support staff was standing along the path the players were taking. He was star struck. He loves football, so he was in awe. Lafayette's #27, in spite of his bitter disappointment, took the time to step over and fist bump the little fellow. Reminds you of the Coke commercial with Mean Joe Green. Kudo's to this classy move by #27. He makes us all proud to be football fans.

I met Lafayette, and several other Lafayette fans today. Great bunch of folks.

After the game, as the Lafayette players were headed back to the locker room, a wonderful thing happened.
The six year old grandson of one of the Dinwiddie support staff was standing along the path the players were taking. He was star struck. He loves football, so he was in awe. Lafayette's #27, in spite of his bitter disappointment, took the time to step over and fist bump the little fellow. Reminds you of the Coke commercial with Mean Joe Green. Kudo's to this classy move by #27. He makes us all proud to be football fans.

"Reminds you of the Coke commercial with Mean Joe Green."

Damn, you're old. And I know what you're talking about. Hey...I must be old, too. Damn!

I would also like to say that two of my very best friends from out in Magna Vista land, decided to jump in the car at the last minute and make the long drive to Dinwiddie to see our game. They are not on Virginia Preps, but it just further illustrates how closely knit our football community is. I met these good folks by chance, (sat behind them), in 2014 at LU at MV vs Lafayette. They helped make this special day even better for me.

Well the stats say we out gained Dinwiddie 301-289 but big errors doomed our effort. The botched punt in the 1st Q on the 15 yard line and and Int on our Qb on the 30 as he tripped over his own lineman was too much to overcome. Great season and good performance but turnovers really hurt. Interesting to see if Salem uses the same defense and limits the miscues we had. .Dinwiddie had no turnovers- great execution and a super fast defense.

Well the stats say we out gained Dinwiddie 301-289 but big errors doomed our effort. The botched punt in the 1st Q on the 15 yard line and and Int on our Qb on the 30 as he tripped over his own lineman was too much to overcome. Great season and good performance but turnovers really hurt. Interesting to see if Salem uses the same defense and limits the miscues we had. .Dinwiddie had no turnovers- great execution and a super fast defense.
Can't wait to see the stats.

Can't wait to see the stats.
Here are the stats per the Newport News Daily Press:

First downs: L-19, D-13
Rushes: L- 57-271, D-30-177
Passing: L- 30, D- 112
Comp-Att-Int- L-4-12-3, D-5-11-0
Punts-- L-3-27.7, D-4-37
Penalties- L- 6-109, D-9-103
Fumbles- L- 0-0, D- 1-0

Not shown is the key first Q botched punt by Lafayette on their own 15 yard line. Dinwiddie had the short field and 3rd down TD pass. The only officiating issue I had is in the 2nd half the "no catch" by Grimsley in the end zone in the front corner on our side of the field. We all saw his one foot in but no replay in HS. Key miss, but in the end Lafayette's 100 yards in penalties and those 4 turnovers is what lost a very winnable game- 3 ints and botched punt. In football at all levels those damn turnovers usually decides who wins.

Here are the stats per the Newport News Daily Press:

First downs: L-19, D-13
Rushes: L- 57-271, D-30-177
Passing: L- 30, D- 112
Comp-Att-Int- L-4-12-3, D-5-11-0
Punts-- L-3-27.7, D-4-37
Penalties- L- 6-109, D-9-103
Fumbles- L- 0-0, D- 1-0

Not shown is the key first Q botched punt by Lafayette on their own 15 yard line. Dinwiddie had the short field and 3rd down TD pass. The only officiating issue I had is in the 2nd half the "no catch" by Grimsley in the end zone in the front corner on our side of the field. We all saw his one foot in but no replay in HS. Key miss, but in the end Lafayette's 100 yards in penalties and those 4 turnovers is what lost a very winnable game- 3 ints and botched punt. In football at all levels those damn turnovers usually decides who wins.

Lafayette sounds like you guys came to play yesterday. The video feed wasn't working so I didn't get to see it. I watched the HS vs Norview game. Sounds like you think you had every opportunity to pull off the upset yesterday.

Sounds like a woulda/coulda/shoulda game for Lafayette. Sounds like Dinwiddie over-hyped a little?

Lafayette sounds like you guys came to play yesterday. The video feed wasn't working so I didn't get to see it. I watched the HS vs Norview game. Sounds like you think you had every opportunity to pull off the upset yesterday.
not
Sounds like a woulda/coulda/shoulda game for Lafayette. Sounds like Dinwiddie over-hyped a little?
not over hyped at all, Lafayette was underestimated to their ability. We knew if we could keep the turnovers down to about zero we could go toe to toe, no blow out that several on here suggested ( one I believe said the Jv would be mopping up the game like many before). Well the 4 miscues cost us and Dinwiddie had none. That wins games when the two teams are evenly matched. Their Qb is outstanding- big, mobile and nice passing with great receivers. Studivant is an exceptional runner. The defense is solid everywhere and very fast. Plays we broke big on everyone were 6-7 yards. And when you pass it better be on target and on time. Too bad the game was not 5 quarters long.

not

not over hyped at all, Lafayette was underestimated to their ability. We knew if we could keep the turnovers down to about zero we could go toe to toe, no blow out that several on here suggested ( one I believe said the Jv would be mopping up the game like many before). Well the 4 miscues cost us and Dinwiddie had none. That wins games when the two teams are evenly matched. Their Qb is outstanding- big, mobile and nice passing with great receivers. Studivant is an exceptional runner. The defense is solid everywhere and very fast. Plays we broke big on everyone were 6-7 yards. And when you pass it better be on target and on time. Too bad the game was not 5 quarters long.
I'll go with that......underestimated instead of over-hyped. I have not seen Dinwiddie play. Some made it seem as if they were going to blow out Lafayette and I kind of went along with the "hype". Obviously that was wrong and it sounds like that game was very competitive.

I'm not sure that there wasn't a subconscious let down by Dinwiddie. The Lake Taylor win was BIG. Certainly Coach Mills and staff were quick to remind the players that last Friday means nothing in they lose to Lafayette. But, I wonder if the intensity was there? Plus, Lafayette came to play, and did. Dinwiddie made some mistakes, but the Rams played a part in forcing some of the mistakes. I, like many people discounted Lafayette to some degree because of their strength of schedule. I have a new found respect for them. They belong. If Dinwiddie comes to play like they usually do, it will be a great game. Anything less and it will still be a great game, but only on the other side of the field.

Incidentally, I assume that Salem, (the west), will be considered the home team this year? The east, LT, was last year.

I said this before and its worth repeating. Lafayette simply had a good game plan on defense and executed. They certainly slowed the game down. If you read mine and Lafayettes pre game assessment you will see we both felt if Lafayette could slow down the General run game and control the clock they had a chance.

I was suprised myself by the Generals inability to run the ball, but after evaluating things I know the problem. One thing that has not been mentioned is Witt only threw 12 passes and to be honest he missed on three long balls which is rare.

No excuses. Hats off to a good Lafayette team. Dinwiddie still scored 28 points and Lafayette scored their last touchdown with 6 minutes left. I will take the win and so would every other fan on here.

Even though it was a slight difference, who would have thought Lafayette would gain more yards than Dinwiddie? Also, how 'bout holding Dinwiddie to 7 points in the second half? Sounds like that was some pretty good defense from the Rams...too bad they made some mistakes that the Generals were able to capitalize on...good teams make you pay.

Congrats to Dinwiddie and their faithful...good luck next weekend in Williamsburg. It looks like Salem's playing really well, so I'm expecting a very competitive game...enjoyed chatting w/y'all!

Navy you just pumped me up brother!! Yes NAVY NATION will be loud Saturday! The atmosphere is great! If you have a weak heart beware because the COUNTRY BOYS will score and score and score! The cannon will be BOOMING!!!
Y'all taking that cute girl on the horse too!? I like that part! after a score, she takes off on that horse, bouncin' up and down! Blonde hair flying! Wow! What a treat!

not

LHS came with a good game plan limit Generals offense by controlling the clock, their D also did a good job of limiting the big play. The Generals could not find the rhythm that allows them to pile up the points and seem like a tidal wave. LHS was a very good football team and kept Dinwiddie focused on the prize.

Y'all taking that cute girl on the horse too!? I like that part! after a score, she takes off on that horse, bouncin' up and down! Blonde hair flying! Wow! What a treat!
I noticed her too- now that is a great tradition to have!

I'm not sure that there wasn't a subconscious let down by Dinwiddie. The Lake Taylor win was BIG. Certainly Coach Mills and staff were quick to remind the players that last Friday means nothing in they lose to Lafayette. But, I wonder if the intensity was there? Plus, Lafayette came to play, and did. Dinwiddie made some mistakes, but the Rams played a part in forcing some of the mistakes. I, like many people discounted Lafayette to some degree because of their strength of schedule. I have a new found respect for them. They belong. If Dinwiddie comes to play like they usually do, it will be a great game. Anything less and it will still be a great game, but only on the other side of the field.

Incidentally, I assume that Salem, (the west), will be considered the home team this year? The east, LT, was last year.

I think the home team is determined by higher overall VHSL rating, which would make Dinwiddie the home team. I'm not certain, so anyone who knows definitively feel free to jump in. Salem has been the visiting team the past two years. Looks like the road white jerseys again for the Spartans.

I think the home team is determined by higher overall VHSL rating, which would make Dinwiddie the home team. I'm not certain, so anyone who knows definitively feel free to jump in. Salem has been the visiting team the past two years. Looks like the road white jerseys again for the Spartans.[/QUOTE

Then you may be right. I knew Salem was the visiting team last year, but I thought they were home team the year before, 2014?

Even though it was a slight difference, who would have thought Lafayette would gain more yards than Dinwiddie? Also, how 'bout holding Dinwiddie to 7 points in the second half? Sounds like that was some pretty good defense from the Rams...too bad they made some mistakes that the Generals were able to capitalize on...good teams make you pay.

Congrats to Dinwiddie and their faithful...good luck next weekend in Williamsburg. It looks like Salem's playing really well, so I'm expecting a very competitive game...enjoyed chatting w/y'all!

Maybe I'm seeing this wrong but Lafayette ran double the number of plays as Dinwiddie but had 12 more yards for the game. Looks like to me we were more efficient.

For most of the game the Generals held a 2 td lead and a team wants to keep running the ball and burning out the clock without putting points on the board they can do that all day that would be fine with me. So that for me fell right in the Generals hand.

Dont get me wrong Lafayette is a tough son of a gun but there offense is built to have the lead and grind you out the rest of the game but not built to come from behind

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Two things I saw from Lafayette:

They were able to move the ball against the General defense much better than expected.

The Ram defense was much better than anticipated.

Both things that should worry Dinwiddie fans because Salem is better both offensively and defensively than the Rams. Salem is also smarter. The first Dinwiidie scores were a result of Ram errors. A good team takes advantage of these things and he Generals did but they only sustained one drive in the entire game.

I've thought all year that this was the General's season but I'm on the fence now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT