10. Midlothian 0-4 14.5
11. King George 1-3 13.5
12. Caroline 0-4 13

Playoff matchups could be:

1. Monacan vs. 8. Louisa
4. Chancellor vs. 5. Dinwiddie
2. Hanover vs. 7. Powhatan
3. Courtland vs. 6. Eastern Veiw

I honestly see in 19-20 Monacan and Hanover both having 2 losses at least in district play, so the winner of Courtland vs. Chancellor if they finish with 1 loss could have the inside track on the #1 seed for the pod. Going to be interesting.In 17-18 it's a two team race between Lafayette and LT for #1

If Lafayette and LT both go 10-0 the points will go to LT. Lafayette still has an away game in 4 weeks at Poquoson, a place they have traditionally not played well at. What is left on LT schedule that may be tough?

We still have our whole district schedule starting with Norview (5A) 3-1. We will outpoint Lafayette because the BRD is full of 2A, 3A, and 4A teams we have 6A Granby, 5A Norview and Maury, 4A Churchland and Wilson, and 3A Norcom and BTW.

Yeah- BRD has one 2a (Bruton) and the rest half 3a and half 4a. No 5a.

If Lafayette and LT both go 10-0 the points will go to LT. Lafayette still has an away game in 4 weeks at Poquoson, a place they have traditionally not played well at. What is left on LT schedule that may be tough?

I'll answer the LT question, because Mike will give you a coaches answer, "all of them". My answer is none of them. Next week should be the toughest game and LT will win by 35.

I agree that Monacan and Hanover have brutal schedules remaining. Just Brutal. Dinwiddie "ain't got no" walk in the park either. If you don't follow Central District Football, you may have a tendency to discount Hopewell and Petersburg because they are 3a. Bad mistake. All they know is tough games all year and come out ready to play, year in and year out. Hopewell was not far off from beating Hanover Friday night. A few different outcomes on some late plays, (or some ridiculous flags), not being thrown, and Hopewell could have won the game. There was not a tremendous talent difference. Cheatham being out makes a huge difference because he takes the talent level up about two notches. (Side note: I keep hearing from sources tha Clayton is a extrodinarily terrific you man! I wish him nothing less than a very quick recovery, and great things for his future).

Petersburg got stomped by an extremely good James Monroe. But year in, year out, when Petersburg has a bad showing, they come roaring back and upset, or nearly upset, their next tough opponent.

Hey Devils, Hopewell didn't get the disproportionate number of flags that you received in NC. The officials were equal opportunity offenders. I almost never say anything negative about officials, but I'm breaking my personal rule on the crew that worked this game, Hanover/Hopewell. There was no reason for the number of flags. It was a clean game. In the first half, they just destroyed the flow. I think everyone knows you could call something on virtually every play if you wanted to get technical, but most officials do a great job by just using good common sense. Not this crew. They were an embarrassment to the profession.

PS. I typed this earlier before Devils replied, but forgot to hit "post".

Pod 17/18 vs. 19/20 are night and day in difficulty. SMH. Lake Taylor should cruise through the first few rounds.

Pod 17/18 vs. 19/20 are night and day in difficulty. SMH. Lake Taylor should cruise through the first few rounds.
I think the two pods are fairly equal. Monacan and LT on paper are the two teams to beat, and then their is a second tier of teams and a third tier of teams on each side. Dont compare a (5-5) team from the 804 or 757 to a 540 (5-5) team.

I gotta disagree, the top 6 in 19/20 are head and shoulders above all but LT and Lafayette in 17/18.

Last edited:
He never does- big bad KF slips by 7 points over Smithfield scoring 24 points and two week later Lafayette posts a 50 on them and pulls away by 30. What a joke of a statement!!

He never does- big bad KF slips by 7 points over Smithfield scoring 24 points and two week later Lafayette posts a 50 on them and pulls away by 30. What a joke of a statement!!

That's like me coming up here and bragging about a win over Granby....For what?? Lafayette did what they were suppose to do against Smithfield, and KF isn't that great this year. A lot of graduation losses.

Your confused - I am not bragging about our win but illustrating Hoos statement that only Lt and KF are any good while totally silent about Lafsyette. This comparable score does not put KF better than Lafayette in my opinion. I don't much about Granby but Smithfield is actually pretty good even at 1-2, but any mention of Lafayette these does up the activity on here. Maybe they all had a bad day at Busch Gardens!!!

Well, my point was just to get his attention that the teams between the two pods are pretty even. I just know that you do NOT want to be the 8 seed on either side if teams have any hope in moving on to the second round. Monacan and LT on paper are the top two teams to beat. I do think anything can happen and any given Friday night anyone can win however odds are not in the 8 seeds favor on the 4a east.

Last edited:
Your confused - I am not bragging about our win but illustrating Hoos statement that only Lt and KF are any good while totally silent about Lafsyette. This comparable score does not put KF better than Lafayette in my opinion. I don't much about Granby but Smithfield is actually pretty good even at 1-2, but any mention of Lafayette these does up the activity on here. Maybe they all had a bad day at Busch Gardens!!!

FWIW, Lafayatte is ranked ahead of Kings Fork in our 4A rankings as has been since the preseason.

Maybe you are listening/reading the wrong people.

Rod, when does the VHSL provide the points standings. I thought it usually came out by this point of the season.

Rod, when does the VHSL provide the points standings. I thought it usually came out by this point of the season.

I am pretty sure that it is after week 5 or 6 but, to be honest, I rarely pay attention to the rankings until about week 8 or 9, so I'm not the best guy to ask on that. Too much in a cave with the writing. :(

I'm starting to think this is my top 10 in the East so far for this early season. It might change after tomorrow:

1. Lake Taylor (best defense)
2. Courtland (best offense)
3. Chancellor (only because they edged Lafayette in their scrimmage and have played a tougher schedule)
4. Lafayette (they're good, but weak schedule)
5. Hanover (with Cheatham)
6. Dinwiddie
7. Monacan
8. King's Fork
9. Eastern View (when healthy)
10. Louisa

Yes I'll get bashed, but yes I think EV and Louisa are better than the teams I didn't list.

Last edited:
I gotta disagree, the top 6 in 19/20 are head and shoulders above all but LT and Lafayette in 17/18.

Kings Fork will probably prove to be much better than you think, Denbigh will be significantly worse than they are currently ranked.

I'm starting to think this is my top 10 in the East so far for this early season. It might change after tomorrow:

1. Lake Taylor (best defense)
2. Courtland (best offense)
3. Chancellor (only because they edged Lafayette in their scrimmage and have played a tougher schedule)
4. Lafayette (they're good, but weak schedule)
5. Hanover (with Cheatham)
6. Dinwiddie
7. Monacan
8. King's Fork
9. Eastern View (when healthy)
10. Louisa

Yes I'll get bashed, but yes I think EV and Louisa are better than the teams I didn't list.
I don't think you are too off on this one except Monacan probably should be higher but not bad

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT