Powhatan 19.5
Midlothian 19.11
Huguenot 18.125
Caroline 15.14

#1 Courtland vs. #8 King George
#4 Chancellor vs. #5 Eastern View
#3 Monacan vs. #6 Dinwiddie
#2 Hanover vs. #7 Louisa

Question / at the semi-final level the cross bracket of the two pods says the higher seed is the home team. Is that by seed number or by power points? Would seem odd that if Lafayette wins out and #2 seed would travel to a seed in the other pod that has a lower power points total and with a loss or two. I am unsure how it all works

Question / at the semi-final level the cross bracket of the two pods says the higher seed is the home team. Is that by seed number or by power points? Would seem odd that if Lafayette wins out and #2 seed would travel to a seed in the other pod that has a lower power points total and with a loss or two. I am unsure how it all works

Power points, I believe

I asked one of the Lafayette coaches that lives two homes away from me and he was unsure too. Great system with all the unknowns!!!

Reactions: Keith_Stone33
If Lafayette is the higher seed then they will host. If they have a lower seed but a higher power rating they still are on the road. It goes by seed so if they play anything lower than 2 then they are the home team. Power ratings are for seeding purposes once the playoffs start seeding wins out.

17-18 pod

1 LT 30.5
2 Lafayette 29
3 KF 24.75
4 Grafton 23
5 Denbigh 22.25
6 Smithfield 21.625
7 Heritage 21
8 DC 20.5
Wilson 20.125
Churchland 20
GB 17.625
Jamestown 16.14

#1 LT vs. #8 Deep Creek
#4 Grafton vs. #5 Denbigh
#3 Kings Fork vs. #6 Smithfield
#2 Lafayette vs. #7 Heritage

19-20 pod

1 Courtland 27.375
2 Hanover 26.625
3 Monacan 26.4
4 Chancellor 25.625
5 Eastern View 25.625
6 Dinwiddie 25.125
7 Louisa 22.75
8 King George 21.875
Powhatan 19.5
Midlothian 19.11
Huguenot 18.125
Caroline 15.14

#1 Courtland vs. #8 King George
#4 Chancellor vs. #5 Eastern View
#3 Monacan vs. #6 Dinwiddie
#2 Hanover vs. #7 Louisa
I anticipate an EV/Chancellor rematch those guys at EV have been itching for that now that they are 100% healthy. EV has 2 games left and both are winnable.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
If Lafayette is the higher seed then they will host. If they have a lower seed but a higher power rating they still are on the road. It goes by seed so if they play anything lower than 2 then they are the home team. Power ratings are for seeding purposes once the playoffs start seeding wins out.
Thanks - I fiqured given the 2 options VHSL would use the more irrelevant one which is seed rather than power points. Makes me wonder why bother with pods at all and lump them all together and rank1-16? Seems more equitable all around. But everything about VHSL seems screwy anyway.

Thanks - seems really stupid to abandon the power points as a point of reference as this is constant no matter what '. As I said in reply above why even have pods? Have 16 teams in region and rank 1-16. Does anybody at Vhsl really think clearly?

Thanks - I fiqured given the 2 options VHSL would use the more irrelevant one which is seed rather than power points. Makes me wonder why bother with pods at all and lump them all together and rank1-16? Seems more equitable all around. But everything about VHSL seems screwy anyway.

Thanks - seems really stupid to abandon the power points as a point of reference as this is constant no matter what '. As I said in reply above why even have pods? Have 16 teams in region and rank 1-16. Does anybody at Vhsl really think clearly?

"VHSL" had 0.0% of input into how the regions determined their champion. The pod system came from the minds of the regional AD's and Principals, not the VHSL

That would explain it all. Clueless AD's and even more clueless administrative principals. So with this system an undefeated team could travel to a 2 loss team with a lower power point rating because in Lafayette's pod chance had one of the best teams in the state (LT). Hmmm....,

Last edited:
Reactions: salem football
I'm almost positive it goes by seed, not power rating. The whole system is a mess. Cross bracketing is just another thing they aren't equipped to handle well and which exacerbates the problems with the standard complaint (travel).

Reactions: DEVILSLB99
I'm almost positive it goes by seed, not power rating. The whole system is a mess. Cross bracketing is just another thing they aren't equipped to handle well and which exacerbates the problems with the standard complaint (travel).

100% correct last year Bird came down to Salem in the state semifinals even though they had identical records and Bird had the higher power rating, but Bird was a 4 seed and Salem was a 1 seed. I asked the question then to the VHSL and they stated once the playoffs start Power ratings go out the window unless you have a situation where teams have the same seed. Again these AD's made this problem while they thought they were fixing another problem (travel)

That would explain it all. Clueless AD's and even more clueless administrative principals. So with this system an undefeated team could travel to a 2 loss team with a lower power point rating because in Lafayette's pod chance had one of the best teams in the state (LT). Hmmm....,

Basically

Boy, that 19-20 pod does not look very strong to me.
giphy.gif

Do you even know how much moderating I'm going to have to do today now?

Been saying this most of the year. Anything can happen but I just cannot see a team out of pod 19 or 20 winning the east. Alot of pairty in those two pods but pairty does not mean they are great teams.

You maybe right. I still believe that the teams in 17 and 18 are better. Ask Gilliam wat his computer says about that.

Reactions: OCBoy
Lake Taylor of course is tough but who has Lafayette really faced? Kings Fork has battled some good teams. Heritage lol? Denbigh has faced some decent teams. Nothing here besides Lake Taylor stands out to me.
Interesting that an 8-0 team that had defeated teams with winning records like Poquoson, Grafton and Smithfield by scoring a lot of points does not "stand out" in your opinion. KF had played some excellent teams but lost to all of them by sizeable margins and is 5-3. Courtland, # 1 currently in their pod just loses to .500 KG. Now that is not "Standing out".

Those teams KF lost to are teams that will have them battle tested come playoffs. KG is better than many people give them and yes it was still an upset but Courtland to me is still the best team in that pod and possible second best in the East. Lake Taylor is the only team that stands out to me. All those teams Lafayette beat are average teams at best none of them are much of anything.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Here are my opinions on the teams in each pod, no one have a cow over them please. I tried to be as unbiased as possible.

17-18 pod

Lake Taylor - still a very good team, especially on defense. If a team can score on them and force them to pass, I'm not sure they have the passing game to win like last year. Young QB is still unproven in a big game on a big stage, and he makes that veer offense go.

Lafayette - good team that hasn't played a good team yet. They have a good QB, runners, receivers, and LB, but don't look that physical in the trenches compared to Courtland, a similar team, at least on video.

King's Fork - very good RB, but otherwise looks like a middle of the pack team that hasn't played anyone besides Indian River, a team they got handled by.

Grafton, Denbigh, Smithfield - average.

Heritage and below - horrible!

19-20 pod

Courtland - very good team even after the loss to King George, who runs similar schemes on both sides as Courtland.

Hanover - very big and physical in the trenches, with a big, physical QB who can single-handily win games but has missed most of the season and should return for the playoffs. Questionable defense, especially against the pass or a team with speed.

Monacan - very good defense, although the only good team they've played they lost to. Starting QB is back, and he's good, but there's no public video to go by.

Chancellor - good skill players but not that physical, and pretty small on defense.

Eastern View - very good, do-it-all QB and RB, but like the past, I'm not sure how they fare against a physical team.

Dinwiddie - good QB and receivers, fast defense but lack size and struggle with tackling.

Louisa - good team with big and physical lines and runners, but inconsistent on defense.

King George - good, physical team that has beaten themselves most of the year, but seemed to nearly put it all together against Courtland.

Powhatan - absolutely, crazily decimated by injuries. Would've been good, but just average.

Midlothian, Huguenot, and Caroline - horrible, although Caroline has some big and fast skill kids on offense.

Those are my reasons I think pod 19-20 is tougher overall.

Last edited:
Those teams KF lost to are teams that will have them battle tested come playoffs. KG is better than many people give them and yes it was still an upset but Courtland to me is still the best team in that pod and possible second best in the East. Lake Taylor is the only team that stands out to me. All those teams Lafayette beat are average teams at best none of them are much of anything.
Pretty much how I feel about the Courtland pod from this side of Richmond. I don't know if being battle tested means losing by 30 points several time...., don't know if I would classify all 8 teams Lafayette has played as " not much of anything", a few are a little better than that.

Last edited:
Pretty much how I feel about the Courtland pod from this side of Richmond. I don't know if being battle tested means losing by 30 points several time...., don't know if I would classify all 8 teams Lafayette has played as " not much of anything", a few are a little better than that.
So York Poquoson and Grafton are the teams who will have you guys ready for the playoffs?

This is where 17-18 pod teams rank in my ratings for 4A

1 Lake Taylor
8 Lafayette
19 King's Fork
31 Graftom
28 Denbigh
29 Smithfield 21.625
27 Heritage 21
33 DC 20.5

19-20 pod teams rank in my ratings for 4A

5 Courtland
12 Hanover
11 Monacan
9 Chancellor
16 Eastern View 25.625
13 Dinwiddie 25.125
23 Louisa 22.75
26 King George 21.875

So the 19-20 pod looks more competitive, but the 17-18 pod has Lake Taylor. Richmond area is pretty deep this year. Hanover and Dinwiddie are well liked by the computer despite lackluster records. Monacan only at 11 due to such a weak schedule.

This is where 17-18 pod teams rank in my ratings for 4A

1 Lake Taylor
8 Lafayette
19 King's Fork
31 Graftom
28 Denbigh
29 Smithfield 21.625
27 Heritage 21
33 DC 20.5

19-20 pod teams rank in my ratings for 4A

5 Courtland
12 Hanover
11 Monacan
9 Chancellor
16 Eastern View 25.625
13 Dinwiddie 25.125
23 Louisa 22.75
26 King George 21.875

So the 19-20 pod looks more competitive, but the 17-18 pod has Lake Taylor. Richmond area is pretty deep this year. Hanover and Dinwiddie are well liked by the computer despite lackluster records. Monacan only at 11 due to such a weak schedule.
So according to the GR computer, the 8th team in pod 19-20 would be 4th in pod 17-18. That only supports my opinion more.

So York Poquoson and Grafton are the teams who will have you guys ready for the playoffs?
Yep, was fine for last year and a few years ago when we were Div 4 for years. You can also add Smithfield - a lot better now than in week 1 when they lost KF 24-17.

Until this season, Lafayette hadn't been 4A since 2010, and they went 7-3 that year and missed the playoffs. In 2009 they went 5-5, in 2008 they went 4-6. You'd have to go back to 2007 for their last winning season in 4A. They beat 7-4 Courtland 10-0 to open the season, and they lost to Powhatan 13-12 in the playoffs, finishing 11-1. Until last year, they lost to James Monroe twice in the playoffs in 3A.

Maybe this is their year.

Last edited:
Lost to JM twice- once at their place and once at ours in OT. It was either 2010 or 2009 that Lafayette forfeited a number of games for a missing medical record for one player. Lost out on appeal. I am sure your records show show. Without LT I feel comfortable, with them in the east , a very tough task.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT