ADVERTISEMENT

4a north step up your game

Originally posted by 2muchBBnever:
4a north schools will have to play the 804 and 757 not only at home but on the road to so they can elevate to that level you cant do it once in awhile but every year.
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/high_schools/mcfarling-title-run-in-group-a-gets-even-tougher/article_de43b876-786e-54ab-93f1-db4d8d858926.html
One thing that some of the 4A North schools should consider would be to schedule some of the South teams during the regular season.

Getting a regular season home-and-home series helps teams understand the different culture and atmosphere. That is part of the recipe that Lake Taylor has used in building their program in the last 10 years. They started to schedule some of the big dogs in the state, took their lumps in some games, but their coaching staff and players learned that it takes more than what they were doing in order to be at the top of the mountain.

The Titans were dominating their district for years but running into problems with Phoebus and Hampton. Once they started stretching their legs playing really tough out-of-district games, they turned the corner into the two-time champs that they are now.

Agreed

It all started when we scheduled C.D. Hylton...opened our eyes to what big time football is across the state since we hadn't made it out of region since 1982. Our kids were amazed that people actually tailgated for high school games...lol

Re: Agreed

540 area schools it will not happen to worried about old rivalries, winning records, & gate $$$$ hell with elevating the program. GW and amherst should have continued doing it. why they did not only they know. so I guess just winning the 4a north/4a west title will be enough.

This post was edited on 12/14 11:53 AM by 2muchBBnever

Sorry last post for a while, I could not resist my giving my opinion..haha.

This is why the west will not beat the east any time soon. I agree with worrying about their gate to much and the west does not want any part of the east. A team in the area had a chance to play a solid east team but chose to play a traditional western power team. The quality of football in the east is far better than the west all the coaches in the west know this the facts speak for themselves. This is why I think 4a should cross bracket the state championship game should have been Lake Taylor and Monacan. Two years in a row the east destroys an undefeated north team. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I am officially off for a while.

Every program whether it is high school or college should evaluate their program each year on the landscape of football "today". Just like baylor and tcu had theirs in college will salem & the 4a north schools use this "a ha" moment to change their thinking?

I'm not sure this would change anything at Salem. They have the facilities, coaching, community support, etc that these other big schools have. What's missing is the talent. This is the first time in 10 years that Salem has had a Div 1 recruit on the team. These 757 teams have at least one player a year and sometimes multiple kids on the same team. Unless we have a huge influx of talent I don't see things changing very much. This doesn't mean that Salem will not have good teams, just that they may not be able to compete with the top 2% of schools. I am impressed with Salem's winning traditions because they are not loaded with Div 1 talent.

I agree with your statement here, at Sherando we are lucky to have one true D1'talent player on the team a year , occasionally maybe 2. most of the team is filled with 3-5 d2 guys and the rest are just living the dream of high school football with no future after that. Good coaching gets the most out of them possible, and the few years we have a little extra talen that's when the longer playoff runs happen.

You all act like its something new, since this realignment all I've heard is whining and moaning about the split about nobody from any other part of the state having a shot. Look who ruled the roost before the switch you had Salem 2 years, Amherst 2 years. Then the talented nova teams Broad Run for 2 years and Briar Woods for 3 years. It was the samething back then, like I said nothing new, Dinwiddie last year and Lake Taylor this year, just teams on another level, it's football.

Yes they ruled but the only reason why is because the 804 and 757 schools stayed up in 5a & 6a because they felt it beneath them to come down and requested to stay up.

Again, there has been a once a long-time, dominant team from the South the last two years. Both of those teams were probably better than any of the teams in 5A. Both of those teams faced very little challenge. LT faced a challenge from a team in Richmond and that is about it. It took LT playing a horrendous game to have that be competitive. If they play like that against a healthy Salem, they don't win the game.

Acting like all those teams are stronger is just pure BS.

Originally posted by Shabutie:
Again, there has been a once a long-time, dominant team from the South the last two years. Both of those teams were probably better than any of the teams in 5A. Both of those teams faced very little challenge. LT faced a challenge from a team in Richmond and that is about it. It took LT playing a horrendous game to have that be competitive. If they play like that against a healthy Salem, they don't win the game.

Thinking that 2013 Dinwiddie and 2014 Lake Taylor are once in a generation type teams is a mistake

Why would Salem change? Do you really think we should panic? Come on man... If it's not broke don't fix it.

With Lafayette going to 4 a I agree. Monacan, LT, Kings Fork, Dinwiddie, Heritage- Newport News, etc. absolutely brutal. Light years from 3 a and 4a west. Who knows when Lafayette gets to final or semi- final again. I would say Salems days of championships is now on hold.

Originally posted by VaPrepsRod:

Originally posted by Shabutie:

Thinking that 2013 Dinwiddie and 2014 Lake Taylor are once in a generation type teams is a mistake
Thinking I said that is a mistake.

Originally posted by Lafayette:
With Lafayette going to 4 a I agree. Monacan, LT, Kings Fork, Dinwiddie, Heritage- Newport News, etc. absolutely brutal. Light years from 3 a and 4a west. Who knows when Lafayette gets to final or semi- final again. I would say Salems days of championships is now on hold.
They have been on hold for awhile...

3A West has won the last 4 and 5 of 6 championships.

....Now the 4A South definitely appears to have a significant edge but I don't now where you get that 3A East is light years ahead of 3A West.

I think the point here is that Salem would lose this game 19 out of 20 times, healthy or not. Thinking otherwise is not realistic.

Salem plays a weak schedule. They're kind of like Powhatan when they played in the SouthSide. 54 straight District wins. Not so in the Jefferson. Salem is a good team and program. They would do well in the 757 but they likely would not make any long playoff runs there. There were probably at least 3 teams in 4A South that would beat Salem. Just how it is.

Just read the quotes from Mag's and others. Salem was simply outclassed. LT was too strong and too fast and Salem had never seen a team like them, ever. And this was the best Spartan team Mag's ever had. That's per Mag's, not me. They got whomped.

Next year is next year. Who knows what kind of team will be there for either squad. But until Salem starts playing and beating teams like Bird, Dinwiddie and Phoebus the Spartan expectations are only smoke and mirrors.

Re: 3A West has won the last 4 and 5 of 6 championships.

Read my post again - I said 4a south/east is light years ahead if 3a and 4a west. 3a itself is more heavy in the west than east .

Seems I recall you singing a different tune prior to the game but, it appears your hindsight is crystal clear as usual. Thanks for the comedy as usual.

Yup, I picked Salem. I thought they were good enough to hang with LT. I thought their dominance all season would be enough and they finally played a very physical team in Liberty and did well. But they were totally out gunned and out classed.They were not at LT's level.

Of course, it's hindsight when it's after the fact. Only when facts are faced can you move forward. I feel, at this time, that a tougher schedule is necessary to improve. Talent will also help. Like some players from LT said, Salem just wasn't very fast. If the last 2 years is any indicator, the common denominator has been team speed and athleticism that wins a State Championship. Funny how that's also what next level Coach's are looking for 1st. Speed and athleticism.LT had significantly more on Saturday than Salem.

Merry Xmas and a pleasure to entertain you again.

Not a different tune but if you mean I picked Salem to win. That is correct. Right on the number for most of my picks this year. Missed by a mile on Saturday.

The Salem program is great and speaks for itself. but I think the point here is do they want to win a State Championship again? Panic, no. Review, yes. When you walk in with what Mag's described as "his best team ever" and get poned, you must ask questions and make adjustments. No disrepect. This is just what needs to be done.

The program will remain one of the best in the State regardless. They will be in the playoff's next year. No doubt. They're a good Football team. They can beat an average South team. Next year is next year. Will there be another LT or Dinwiddie in the South in 2015? Maybe. Maybe not. It could be a North team that is the dominant one and Salem will definitely be in that mix.Eventually, there will be a year when Salem is the best available. Everyone has good and bad years. The odds are in the Spartan's favor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT