ADVERTISEMENT

4A Richmond Region Schools v. Private

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
As we are all aware by now, the VHSL landscape changed yet again this week with the settlement with Liberty. All non-boarding private schools will now be allowed to join the VHSL and not this season but in seasons to come we might very well see the Richmond private schools scheduling those schools in the Richmond area that are currently 4A. Which obviously leads to the question, how will they fare?

From 1979-1981 Dinwiddie played three private schools winning 2 out of 3.
In 1979 the Generals beat then Norfolk Catholic(now Bishop Sullivan 39-0. That was followed by playing Benedictine in back-to-back seasons, 1980-1981 and were outscored 13-28.

From 1976-1977 Huguenot squared off against Benedictine and lost both meetings having been outscored 16-33.

JR Tucker split a series with St. Christopher from 2001-2002 with the Saints outscoring the Tigers 44-36. From 1970-2009 however, they regularly played Benedictine and actually lead the series 23-16-1.

Midlothian also used to play the Cadets, they met eight times since 1970 holding a 5-3 lead in the series. The Trojans outscored Benedictine 144-91 in their eight meetings dating back to 1984.

Then there is Monacan who has the distinction of having played three private schools in it's history. In 1980 the Chiefs beat Collegiate in their only meeting, 20-6. The Chiefs are also undefeated against Trinity Episcopal outscoring Trinity 30-7 from 1982-1983. The longest running series against a private school however was against Benedictine whom they faced off with nine times. The Chiefs however trail that series 3-6 but were only scored 94-99 in a series that lasted from 1979-1987.

So all total, the 4A Richmond Region schools have a 37-29-1 record against the private schools that could ultimately be VHSL rivals.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
More good work, Danny.

On another related topic, I would be interested in knowing, in what VHSL group the greater Richmond area private schools would most likely land. I know there are three possible methods to determine this, but just an educated guess using logical assumptions on what the private school though was best for their purposes.

And still one other question on this topic. Why was the stipulation that a private school not be a boarding school to apply for VHSL membership, part of the LCA settlement?

Good stuff. Question: how far back did you go with you records? The reason I ask is because I have stuff for TJ and JM going back to the 1920's and 30's and both of those schools played St. Christopher's and Benedictine regularly during that. They played McGuire's Prep from time to time but I've yet to figure out who the heck they were lol.

Good stuff. Question: how far back did you go with you records? The reason I ask is because I have stuff for TJ and JM going back to the 1920's and 30's and both of those schools played St. Christopher's and Benedictine regularly during that. They played McGuire's Prep from time to time but I've yet to figure out who the heck they were lol.

My records only go back to 1970. When I began my project years ago, I tried going back as far as I could go but it got to a point where it became difficult to find out specific dates and sites for games, especially the further back you go. So I began with 1970 as that is when the modern day version of the VHSL came about.

Reactions: mmqp
Totally understand that. I've gone through just about every yearbook listed on classmates.com for the last 5-6 years compiling whatever I can find. Just my hobby. I love digging through the yearbooks from the 20's-50's and seeing all the long forgotten schools. Did you know there used to be a high school in Richmond called Westhampton that played football for 5-6 years pre-WWII?

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Yes, it is definitely interesting to go back and see old schools. I know when I was doing my research I stumbled upon schools that were the original versions of today's schools. If I had kept it just teams and scores, I might have gone as far back as possible but by going back to 1970 I've been able to find exact dates of games and their sites. I wanted my project to be as accurate as possible.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT