ADVERTISEMENT

4B playoff teams.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Two questions for the 8 playoff bound teams.

What type of surface is on your home field. What is the condition?

Dinwiddie has grass. I would give the playing surface a "B+" right now.

I know Huguenot has top shelf, artificial turf that was just installed last year with the new school.

How about the others?

I know it's not 4b but I gotta say the best thing about being a higher seed than Deep Creek is that their field was crap two weeks ago. Like a thick mud. Just terrible.

As for KF, I'd say ours is a B-. Not great but certainly better than DC.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Ours is grass and in relatively good condition. Brown grass baby! I'd say a B condition.

In the top 4 seeds in Region A Lafayette is the only artificial turf field. KF, DC and Smithfield are grass. Heritage NN and LT are grass
Also. Amazing how many HS fields are grass. We have found it more than pays itself back. Year round use - multiple school use-/ football, soccer- boys and girls, field hockey, band competition, etc. all with minimal upkeep.

I believe the Jungle is real grass, right? One Man, you played there recently, is it holding up ok?

EV is grass too, isn't it OCBoy?

Patrick Henry is grass if I remember right, and is usually pretty torn up by late in the year?

In the top 4 seeds in Region A Lafayette is the only artificial turf field. KF, DC and Smithfield are grass. Heritage NN and LT are grass
Also. Amazing how many HS fields are grass. We have found it more than pays itself back. Year round use - multiple school use-/ football, soccer- boys and girls, field hockey, band competition, etc. all with minimal upkeep.

Heritage NN is turf. They play at Todd Stadium out in Newport News.

The Newport News schools actually do use the multi use facility in Todd Stadium. I like the idea but also like having teams come to your school to play.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Chesapeake. Deep Creek and Great Bridge both have locker rooms/restrooms condemned. There was talk of a complex similar to the Virginia Beach sportsplex opening up in Chesapeake. Wonder if they would have those two play there.

I think Midlothian is grass.

Let's see, Hammy, Sherando is turf, correct?

Turf is wonderful @Lafayette, but lets be real you share the field with how many other teams? You basically have a municipal facilty taken care of by the county/city. Its not Lafayettes financial redponsibility. One school counties like Dinwiddie cant justify that kind of money with more important needs. I figure its the same for a lot of areas. You play with what you have and thankfully our AD has contracted to make our grass much more player friendly.

Reactions: ForksUp
Looking around Class 4 playoff team's fields, we know what Salem has. How about others in C and D?

Last edited:
I believe the Jungle is real grass, right? One Man, you played there recently, is it holding up ok?

Patrick Henry is grass if I remember right, and is usually pretty torn up by late in the year?
Yes grass unsure of it’s condition though and sherando I’m pretty sure is grass as well

The grass at Louisa is immaculate. One of the best grass surfaces I've been on. With rain expected most of this week, it'll be interesting to see how it holds up.

Reactions: Lions1983 and 7time
Turf is wonderful @Lafayette, but lets be real you share the field with how many other teams? You basically have a municipal facilty taken care of by the county/city. Its not Lafayettes financial redponsibility. One school counties like Dinwiddie cant justify that kind of money with more important needs. I figure its the same for a lot of areas. You play with what you have and thankfully our AD has contracted to make our grass much more player friendly.
Three high schools use it here. At Dinwiddie where does Boy and girls soccer play and field hockey? In the future Lacrosse will also appear as in other areas. With that many uses multiple fields are maintained. Consolidate and have one field and no need for a grounds crew.

The only field hockey we have is when the horse does his business during a game. Soccer use the football field and thats it.

We will be trying to raise the $850,000 needed for turf, but a new pressbox and stands is the first priority.
I will agree the visitor stands are pretty sad from personal experience. They should at least be the raised level type for viewing a game. Didn’t know no girls field hockey as almost all schools here have it. For the $850k have the county float a bond issue- 20 years. Rates are low now and annual expense is manageable.

Heritage NN is turf. They play at Todd Stadium out in Newport News.

The Newport News schools actually do use the multi use facility in Todd Stadium. I like the idea but also like having teams come to your school to play.

It will be interesting to see what happens in Chesapeake. Deep Creek and Great Bridge both have locker rooms/restrooms condemned. There was talk of a complex similar to the Virginia Beach sportsplex opening up in Chesapeake. Wonder if they would have those two play there.
Are sure about Todd being turf? Wikipedia has it as Bermuda grass and in 2011 they declined the change and did not see it in the future. Same for Hampton Darling Stadium.

Are sure about Todd being turf? Wikipedia has it as Bermuda grass and in 2011 they declined the change and did not see it in the future. Same for Hampton Darling Stadium.
It is Bermuda grass as is Darling

Don't know about Darling.

Played Heritage NN in the playoffs at Todd last year and it was turf.

Looking around Class 4 playoff team's fields, we know what Salem has. How about others in C and D?[/

Top 4 seeds in region D
Blacksburg and GW have grass, Salem and E.C. Glass have artificial turf.
5-8 seeds
Charlottesville, Byrd, Amherst, and Jf all have artificial turf.

I know it's not 4a, but I'm sure there are same situations in 4a. You said one school counties can't justify that kind of money, which is really true. And all of those sports mentioned can use a grass/Bermuda grass field.

But anyway, take here in Augusta County. 5 schools across the county, 4 2a schools and 1 1a school, they certainly can't afford that. Add in the 2 city schools inside the county and that is 7 schools within 30 minutes or less of each other. And I don't know how other areas work, but if one school gets something, others have to follow.

I'll give you a story that still burns me up. About 12 or so years ago, Stuarts Draft field house burned down. My grandfather helped build/plumb it, and I spent A LOT of time in there. The county didn't pay for it, there had to be fundraising and donations to build a new one. The burned down one was very small and the new one is pretty nice. But after that happened, the county paid for every cent for a new one at Wilson. That seems so totally backwards and wrong

Millbrook plays on grass. It's not in good shape right now. Both Sherando and Millbrook couldn't cut without slipping/digging up turf last week.
Yeah, I noticed both teams slipping a lot during the game. From my vantage point, it didn't look like the field was in terrible shape, I just thought maybe the grass was a bit tall, maybe had some dew on it. The grass didn't look bad, it looked like it had been freshly tended to, just the blades were taller. I dunno. Was weird watching everyone slip though. Made me think of the arguments a few years back on here about one team using cleats that were longer than regulation and another team flooding a field before a game?

Yeah, I noticed both teams slipping a lot during the game. From my vantage point, it didn't look like the field was in terrible shape, I just thought maybe the grass was a bit tall, maybe had some dew on it. The grass didn't look bad, it looked like it had been freshly tended to, just the blades were taller. I dunno. Was weird watching everyone slip though. Made me think of the arguments a few years back on here about one team using cleats that were longer than regulation and another team flooding a field before a game?

Some grass fields are just slick. I know that Meadowbrook and Prince George always seem to be slick regardless of the prevailing conditions. I guess it's just the composition of the grass types?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT