ADVERTISEMENT

4C: Loundon County and WoodGrove

Woodgrove gets some love here for being a good team but I haven’t really read too much about Loudoun County.

I don’t get to see the Loudoun schools. So why as the only undefeated team left in 4c there is no excitement or love for Loudoun County?
I think the problem with Loudoun County is a problem that Riverside has in that they haven't had any convincing wins against quality opponents. That's not to say they couldn't do it, just a reason why they haven't been talked about much.

Reactions: Tom Potter
Woodgrove gets some love here for being a good team but I haven’t really read too much about Loudoun County.

I don’t get to see the Loudoun schools. So why as the only undefeated team left in 4c there is no excitement or love for Loudoun County?

First, there are aren't a lot of folks on this board from Loudoun County unfortunately! I do not know why, but folks just do not have a passion for H.S. football around here like other parts of the Commonwealth.

If you look at County's schedule, they honestly haven't beaten a tough team yet IMHO. They do score points this year and they beat Woodgrove last year so I have plenty of respect for their team. I am glad the game is at Woodgrove next week; should be a dozy!

Honestly, Kettle Run and Woodgrove are a lot a like; newer schools building their Football credentials one season at a time with both teams having had some decent playoffs runs. Not a lot of folks from Fauquier on this board either, right?

So I just looked at County's schedule and they did beat Millbrook at home and they beat Riverside, BUT I was not that impressed with Riverside when we played them at their house. Riverside has a sweet stadium and a few talented players and some big lineman (not that mean) & a great kicker/ punter as well.

Quite a few teams County has beaten so far this year are really struggling though. They have taken care of business to date though so kudos to them!

So I just looked at County's schedule and they did beat Millbrook at home and they beat Riverside, BUT I was not that impressed with Riverside when we played them at their house. Riverside has a sweet stadium and a few talented players and some big lineman (not that mean) & a great kicker/ punter as well.

Quite a few teams County has beaten so far this year are really struggling though. They have taken care of business to date though so kudos to them!

Millbrook also didn't have Savon Smith and nearly made a comeback in that game. I think they brought the lead down to 4 or so in the second half before Loudoun pulled away. Smith has played in the last couple games but I don't think he's at 100% yet.

Based on what Woodgrove has done recently I don't think there are many teams in 4C that can stop them.

Completely agree with both of you. The Millbrook game was early in the season when Millbrook was a bit of a mess and without their star player. And I'm not convinced that Riverside is that good of a team. But that's just my perspective.

First, there are aren't a lot of folks on this board from Loudoun County unfortunately! I do not know why, but folks just do not have a passion for H.S. football around here like other parts of the Commonwealth.

If you look at County's schedule, they honestly haven't beaten a tough team yet IMHO. They do score points this year and they beat Woodgrove last year so I have plenty of respect for their team. I am glad the game is at Woodgrove next week; should be a dozy!

Honestly, Kettle Run and Woodgrove are a lot a like; newer schools building their Football credentials one season at a time with both teams having had some decent playoffs runs. Not a lot of folks from Fauquier on this board either, right?

Not a lot of representation from Fauquier except a few Liberty guys. I think I am the only KR guy here.

I agree there are some good coaches starting to build programs for 4c. In 3 seasons Coach Porterfield at KR has done an amazing job having the kids “believe in the process”. 3 years ago there were only 50 kids on the KR field. This year they have players in the high 80s. Only time will tell for the Cougars, but winning is a big attraction.

Loudoun County has three players and a passing game that will be problematic for WHS to match up with. Woodgrove has a power run game that will be difficult for LC to slow down. Weather may favor one offense over the other. Special teams may be the X factor and LC has been tremendous in the kicking game. Both teams are well coached and play very hard.

If all things are relatively close between these 2 teams, the one who takes the time to hammer home the idea of dealing with "what you can control" comes out on top. The biggest games come down to the one that develops and executes their game plan best or it could be the one who rises up when a sudden change situation (i.e. turnover, penalty, injury etc.) rears its ugly head.

I would not sleep on LCHS. They will be the only Loudoun team returning to the playoffs. They have soundly beaten every team that has been on their schedule. Beat Woodgrove last year. Crushed Riverside. I heard that Riverside is soft, but we saw Woodgrove give up against Massaponax, and quit before half time. Not quite up to Sherando level though.

I would not sleep on LCHS. They will be the only Loudoun team returning to the playoffs. They have soundly beaten every team that has been on their schedule. Beat Woodgrove last year. Crushed Riverside. I heard that Riverside is soft, but we saw Woodgrove give up against Massaponax, and quit before half time. Not quite up to Sherando level though.

Woodgrove did not quit @ halftime against Massaponax.
The Refs and / or Massaponax staff called a lightening delay that night with less than a minute to go until halftime because of lightening that was visible @ 40,000 feet in a stationary T-storm cell 35+ miles to the east of the stadium.
After an hour + lightening delay for a storm that posed no threat to the field more T-storms began moving into the area from the West.
Woodgrove Coaches & AD decided not to drive 2.5 hours on Labor Day Weekend Saturday to finish a game we would almost certainly lose anyway. The lads did not quit, they were denied second half adjustments by weather and travel distance.
Our new defense installed to stop Massaponax running game failed miserably.
The Massaponax QB ran rampant on us the entire first half.

The next week we played Broad Run and had another Weather delay which forced us to finish game @ Broad Run on Saturday morning.

Reactions: Shruikan
I was at the Briar Woods - N. Stafford game and the same thing occurred. N Stafford went home that night, and came back the next day to win the game. I guess Woodgrove did not want to do that, as they knew what the outcome would be?

LCHS has had a solid season and I think WG played a tough schedule early. Rain/Lightning considered, their reasons for playing or not playing have long been considered and were final weeks ago. Can't see those decisions affecting them now. This game is working itself into an "identity finder". 2 solid teams looking to make a playoff push and need to establish or separate themselves from one another. All bets are off, and they'll get after each other soon enough. Who will make plays when they need to? That's your winner!

Mbonape1 and I recently had a bit of a discussion about how we think LC and Woodgrove fit in the class 4 picture. I think we both generally agreed, that this far south, we just never hear much of anything about either of them. So we are running blind.

Like you said Tom, their are virtually no posters on here that offer information about LC, and I'm not sure that anyone other than yourself routinely chimes in about Woodgrove.

Another reason for the void of info on either team is they have virtually no opponents in common with teams down our way.

So what does all of this mean? It means they may sneak down south unannounced and under the radar.

Having broadcast their game against Riverside, I can tell you that Loudoun County is the real deal. They have the area's top passing QB (Nick Barts), and 3 big time receivers. Groves is really tough to cover for anyone, and McCandless is a great athlete with a big frame who can win the 50/50 throws. What most might not realize is just how good their defense is. They put pressure on you, and they stuff the run. My opinion is they run the table and finish as the top seed in the region. Woodgrove needs to make sure they don't fall behind early to keep this one close down the stretch. This is the best Loudoun County team in a long time. Only issue they have is running the football consistently. But they score so quickly, it may not be an issue until late, or in bad weather.

Having broadcast their game against Riverside, I can tell you that Loudoun County is the real deal. They have the area's top passing QB (Nick Barts), and 3 big time receivers. Groves is really tough to cover for anyone, and McCandless is a great athlete with a big frame who can win the 50/50 throws. What most might not realize is just how good their defense is. They put pressure on you, and they stuff the run. My opinion is they run the table and finish as the top seed in the region. Woodgrove needs to make sure they don't fall behind early to keep this one close down the stretch. This is the best Loudoun County team in a long time. Only issue they have is running the football consistently. But they score so quickly, it may not be an issue until late, or in bad weather.

I'm not doubting you since I haven't seen them play, but where do you see them stacking up against the best two teams from the other half of Region C, the Northwestern District? When I look at Loudoun County's season, I see their best win as having been against Millbrook in Week 2 when the Pioneers were still without Savon Smith. The 28-0 win over Riverside seemed impressive at first, but Riverside followed it up by nearly losing to winless Loudoun Valley.

I'm focusing on Loudoun Valley and Millbrook since those are the two teams on the Raiders' schedule that I've seen play in person. Loudoun County beat Loudoun Valley 28-0, a score that I was surprised by. I thought LC would've put up huge numbers on LV after seeing how they couldn't handle Sherando until the second team was in. Was that just an off night for Loudoun County?

Hearing you say it's the best Loudoun County team in a long time worries me since Sherando is 1-3 against the Raiders since 2000 (5-5 overall), and the last two Raider wins were 28-0 and 29-0 in 2011 and 2012. They're the only team this decade that has shut Sherando out other than Martinsburg. :D

So I am an idiot for calling Woodgrove soft? A post earlier states Riverside's linemen are not "mean". What does that infer? I still believe Woodgrove is "not mean" for not going back to finish the game. Not the kids, but the coach.

Loudoun County is well coached and the passing game is legit. Tony has done a good job with this team. With that being sad - when they played Millbrook Savon did not play and the Starting Qb did not play.With the starting Qb back they have since moved Gavin(18) back to his natural slot position, Savon back at slot and moved the Jackson Kid(#1) back to his receiver( all conference last year) position. With the emergence of Spain the other receiver they have weapons all over the field. Throw in the running back ( approaching 1000 yards) they can make a run in the playoffs. Only if they can make it in. Kettl Run is for real too.

Loudoun County is well coached and the passing game is legit. Tony has done a good job with this team. With that being sad - when they played Millbrook Savon did not play and the Starting Qb did not play.With the starting Qb back they have since moved Gavin(18) back to his natural slot position, Savon back at slot and moved the Jackson Kid(#1) back to his receiver( all conference last year) position. With the emergence of Spain the other receiver they have weapons all over the field. Throw in the running back ( approaching 1000 yards) they can make a run in the playoffs. Only if they can make it in. Kettl Run is for real too.

So are you guys telling me that Region C is wide open in your honest opinion? Are their multiple teams that have a real shot at winning region C?

So are you guys telling me that Region C is wide open in your honest opinion? Are their multiple teams that have a real shot at winning region C?

I would be surprised if it's anyone but Sherando or Woodgrove. Based on what I've seen, those two teams are in Tier 1 while Loudoun County and Kettle Run are in Tier 2. Millbrook might be in that tier if they can get healthy.

Reactions: mbonape1
@WarrentonCougar21 Yeah, based on how both teams have played recently. I'm still unconvinced that Sherando can stop a team that can play with them for four quarters, especially on defense and with Entsminger limited. Woodgrove looks exactly like the kind of team that could beat Sherando in a 35-28 type game as it stands on October 24th. If the defense can limit Millbrook next weekend my tune might change. I still think Sherando has the higher ceiling and can win the state championship, but the Warriors aren't quite there yet.

If I had to guess, I think this year's Sherando team would beat last year's by a couple touchdowns. Just have to put four quarters together.

Nice win Woodgrove. Congratulations on sweeping the district. You must be happy to be back in the playoffs after a year off. I was at your last playoff game, and i saw my son's HS playing days end in Stephens CIty. Safe to say that no-one is stopping that team in 4C. Still think it is unfair that two top teams get a bye, but oh well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT