ADVERTISEMENT

4D: #6 Charlottesville (7-3) @ #3 Salem (8-2)

Who wins?

• #6 Charlotteville

Votes: 18 31.0%
  • #3 Salem

Votes: 40 69.0%

• Total voters
Not so fast...remember that Salem D against Blacksburg? Yeah no way Cville only gets 21. No one has contained Folley this season, Neale threw for 216 yards and 5 TDs this week, and once Rakeem Davis gets to the outside he's about as easy to stop as Beck. The Charlottesville D shouldn't be a problem for Salem. Have fun stopping the O. Besides Louisa in the first quarter (when our offense took the field twice) and EC Glass in the first half, no one has.

Not so fast...remember that Salem D against Blacksburg? Yeah no way Cville only gets 21. No one has contained Folley this season, Neale threw for 216 yards and 5 TDs this week, and once Rakeem Davis gets to the outside he's about as easy to stop as Beck. The Charlottesville D shouldn't be a problem for Salem. Have fun stopping the O. Besides Louisa in the first quarter (when our offense took the field twice) and EC Glass in the first half, no one has.
C'ville will get theirs. Problem is that they will have to AT LEAST get 50

Reactions: blackknight_pride
You coming to the game Fri @blackknight_pride? I would like to meet you if you are coming.

Unfortunately, no. I film away games sometimes but I will be out of town this weekend. I really do hope to meet you Salem guys some day though. If my some miracle Cville wins I would most likely make the trip to Danville or Amherst, but I'm not gonna get ahead of myself here haha. I would love to meet you eventually.

One good thing for c ville, after what happened at Louisa. They won't have to worry about fumbling the kick returns.
Now that's the line of the day. Salem kicker, Nate Craft, is surely a weapon. He had 7 touchbacks last week and his season touchback rate is about 97%.

Even with a few snap breakdowns on pats/fg's the kid is having a very good season kicking and punting. He will be a huge asset in the playoffs for the Spartans if the coaching staff decides to take the points instead of going for it inside the opponents 30. I realize its hard for the coaching staff to trust a high school special teams unit, but I would rather have 3 than 0.

Craft also gets great hang time and distance on his punts. He can punt an offense out of trouble if need be. Not sure abut his season average, but I am sure it approaches 40 yards per punt. I know he had 3 punts last week for a 44 yard average and two were downed inside their opponents 15.

Now that's the line of the day. Salem kicker, Nate Craft, is surely a weapon. He had 7 touchbacks last week and his season touchback rate is about 97%.

Even with a few snap breakdowns on pats/fg's the kid is having a very good season kicking and punting. He will be a huge asset in the playoffs for the Spartans if the coaching staff decides to take the points instead of going for it inside the opponents 30. I realize its hard for the coaching staff to trust a high school special teams unit, but I would rather have 3 than 0.

Craft also gets great hang time and distance on his punts. He can punt an offense out of trouble if need be. Not sure abut his season average, but I am sure it approaches 40 yards per punt. I know he had 3 punts last week for a 44 yard average and two were downed inside their opponents 15.
According to the Roanoke Times it was 39.6 before last week. I guess that would put him just above 40 for the year if you add in last week's punts.

If it's 4th and long from anywhere between the 20 and 30, Salem would lose nothing by at least attempting a FG with Craft. If it's missed, it's just a touchback (as long as the ball breaks the plane of the goal line) and the ball is put on the 20 for the other team. It's not like college where if it's missed outside of 20 yards you return to the previous spot, it's always a touchback in HS. Might as well try for 3 since the ball would move farther from the opponents goal line anyways if you miss.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
According to the Roanoke Times it was 39.6 before last week. I guess that would put him just above 40 for the year if you add in last week's punts.
This past week they have him with 10 punts with a 41.3 avg behind Larry Basham. They had him with 3 punts with a 43 yd avg against Pulaski so that avg. should go up I think.

Reactions: mike salem
Salem should be able to stop C-ville enough times to win. If they don't they will just try to regroup next year. One thing that will increase C-ville chances greatly would be Salem turnovers.

Reactions: blackknight_pride
If it's 4th and long from anywhere between the 20 and 30, Salem would lose nothing by at least attempting a FG with Craft. If it's missed, it's just a touchback (as long as the ball breaks the plane of the goal line) and the ball is put on the 20 for the other team. It's not like college where if it's missed outside of 20 yards you return to the previous spot, it's always a touchback in HS. Might as well try for 3 since the ball would move farther from the opponents goal line anyways if you miss.
I did not know that was the case Lunch, I thought it was the opponents ball after a miss at the line of scrimmage.. HMMMM..... The kid is very accurate to say the least and his leg is strong... They had some snap issues earlier in the year that resulted is some misses by kicking what looked to be sideways balls at times but they may have gotten that worked out based on his stats going forward.. maybe someone else can contribute to that..KO touchbacks are around 85% from what I can tell so no, Cville doesn't have to worry about dropping KOs because home field + playoff time =most of them being in or out the back of the end zone..lol

I did not know that was the case Lunch, I thought it was the opponents ball after a miss at the line of scrimmage.. HMMMM..... The kid is very accurate to say the least and his leg is strong... They had some snap issues earlier in the year that resulted is some misses by kicking what looked to be sideways balls at times but they may have gotten that worked out based on his stats going forward.. maybe someone else can contribute to that..KO touchbacks are around 85% from what I can tell so no, Cville doesn't have to worry about dropping KOs because home field + playoff time =most of them being in or out the back of the end zone..lol
It is the opponents ball just placed at the 20 on a missed FG.

It is the opponents ball just placed at the 20 on a missed FG.

The only exception to that is if the ball doesn’t break the plane of the goal line inbounds. The easiest way to think about it is, a FG is a punt that can score points if it goes through the uprights. Meaning if the ball goes out of bounds or becomes dead beyond the neutral zone without reaching the goal line, it’s dead at that spot and the opponent gets the ball there. If teams wanted to, they could punt via place kick (aka field goal formation) every single time. I know of teams that have done this. It’s just safer to punt the ball the standard way.

Very few teams win at Salem!!! They will have 5,000. Salem will give the knights a steady dose of of hale and Ramsey and tucker. Throw when need be. Salem has seen dinwiddee, blacksburg, Amherst.The knights speed will not intimidate Salem. Buckle your chin straps cause Salem will be very physical

BKP keep your enthusiasm kid. Very few teams win at Salem but the teams that win there possess a lot of what Cville does (multiple weapons, speed, high octane offense). Score a lot of points, weather the storm, and keep your composure. Cville has the speed and athleticism to keep up. Your hogs will have to play lights out on the defensive side. Big Ramsey is coming early and often. Gotta meet him in the hole and hit him. He’s a robot..Best player west of Dinwiddie. I’ve seen Magna Vista do it, I’ve seen Christisnsburg do it. Amherst did it last year during the regular season and has in the playoffs. Ain’t a easy task by any means but enjoy the ride kid!

I remember back about 4 or 5 years ago, when a Harvey Taylor lead team beat Salem in Salem. The WR named Penn burnt Salem's 2ndary for two long TDs. That offense back then was mos def high powered.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
BKP keep your enthusiasm kid. Very few teams win at Salem but the teams that win there possess a lot of what Cville does (multiple weapons, speed, high octane offense). Score a lot of points, weather the storm, and keep your composure. Cville has the speed and athleticism to keep up. Your hogs will have to play lights out on the defensive side. Big Ramsey is coming early and often. Gotta meet him in the hole and hit him. He’s a robot..Best player west of Dinwiddie. I’ve seen Magna Vista do it, I’ve seen Christisnsburg do it. Amherst did it last year during the regular season and has in the playoffs. Ain’t a easy task by any means but enjoy the ride kid!
Sports head cville does one thing u can't do..... Give up 32 ppg..... Final Salem 45 CV 21

I remember back about 4 or 5 years ago, when a Harvey Taylor lead team beat Salem in Salem. The WR named Penn burnt Salem's 2ndary for two long TDs. That offense back then was mos def high powered.
It was actually 7 years ago lol me and Harvey were in the same grade and it was our junior year in the fall of 2010...Feels like forever ago but true enough Deshaun Penn, Harvey Taylor and company did something no Henry County team had done before.. Beat Salem and they did it in Salem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT