1. EC Glass 4-0 110pts = 27.5
2. Charlottesville 3-1 94pts = 23.5
3. Blacksburg 4-1 110pts = 22
4. Salem 3-2 109pts = 21.8
5. George Washington 3-1 86pts = 21.5
6. William Byrd 5-0 106pts = 21.2
6. Pulaski County 4-1 106pts = 21.2
8. Amherst 2-2 85pts = 21.25

Wouldn’t 21.25 put Amherst at 6 and move Pulaski/Byrd 21.2 to 7/8?

Reactions: blackknight_pride
1. EC Glass 4-0 110pts = 27.5
2. Charlottesville 3-1 94pts = 23.5
3. Blacksburg 4-1 110pts = 22
4. Salem 3-2 109pts = 21.8
5. George Washington 3-1 86pts = 21.5
6. William Byrd 5-0 106pts = 21.2
6. Pulaski County 4-1 106pts = 21.2
8. Amherst 2-2 85pts = 21.25
How does Byrd have below 22 points per game when that's how many you get per win in 4a?

How does Byrd have below 22 points per game when that's how many you get per win in 4a?

Not every team they have played is 4a. Such as Richlands being 2a, so they only get 18 for that, plus the 2 bonus points for each of their wins for a total of 20 for them

Not every team they have played is 4a. Such as Richlands being 2a, so they only get 18 for that, plus the 2 bonus points for each of their wins for a total of 20 for them
But according to the VHSL Handbook, higher classifications get 2 bonus points per lower classification they play. Ex: 4a teams get 2 extra points if they play a 3a team, 4 for 2a, etc.

But according to the VHSL Handbook, higher classifications get 2 bonus points per lower classification they play. Ex: 4a teams get 2 extra points if they play a 3a team, 4 for 2a, etc.

Yes, I didn't factor that in. I just remembered the Richlands game. Let me see if I can figure the points up for you.

I get 116 or 23.2 but I haven't done much of these points in a few ywars, I used to do every week on here

I thought this rule only applied to district opponents, since you are essentially forced to play them no matter there class. As to even the playing field since teams can't control being in districts with 2As-5As. I remember rule stated all district opponents count as the same class your team is in, unless district opponent was of higher class than you, ie 5A or 6A and you would get those points. I thought the non-district opponents count as their actual class because you had the option to schedule them, unlike district opps. I may very well be wrong, anyone with clarity would be greatly appreciated.

That was the rule. However in the last year or two the vhsl changed the rule from applying to only district opponents to applying to non district opponents as well.

Reactions: one man
So basically if you play up you are rewarded and if you play down you are rewarded as if you are playing schools your own size. Where is the incentive to not schedule 1A/2A schools for non district games if they are going to pull the same amount of points as playing a Salem, Blacksburg, Amherst etc.

Reactions: b.Di3_2016RU
So basically if you play up you are rewarded and if you play down you are rewarded as if you are playing schools your own size. Where is the incentive to not schedule 1A/2A schools for non district games if they are going to pull the same amount of points as playing a Salem, Blacksburg, Amherst etc.
Messed up system

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I think this was put in to help schools that are geographically isolated like 3A Abingdon and 4A Carroll Co that are surrounded by 2A/1A schools. It also gives an incentive for larger schools to play smaller schools who want to "play up" or are part of an in county or local rivalry.

I think this was put in to help schools that are geographically isolated like 3A Abingdon and 4A Carroll Co that are surrounded by 2A/1A schools. It also gives an incentive for larger schools to play smaller schools who want to "play up" or are part of an in county or local rivalry.
Carroll County got plenty of schools their size surrounding them. River Ridge District that they wanted out of because they couldn't compete in football. (Pulaski, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Salem, Cave Spring, HV and any other Roanoke School) bad example

Total joke, feel bad for programs who will abuse this and schedule below themselves. I'd be embarrassed if that was what Salem did, Salem's never even scheduled a 2A or 1A (Glenvar is a couple miles down the road!).

This would be like the NCAA deciding all FCS wins count towards a bowl instead of just one.

ByrdFan23 I know they can not help the schedule but the schedule is not going to help them come playoff time. I am not hating because I really don't care but with Bassett 0 wins, hidden valley 0 wins, cave spring 1 win, martinsville 1 win, Richland's 1 win and play 0 win Fleming back to back???how can anyone take Byrd seriously as a contender. Basham a bad man though.

Amherst is well stocked up front and their style plays well in late November and playoffs. Will be interesting to see which teams keep momentum all year long. Many teams adjust to schemes but not always to size or speed.
I see now with Blacksburg beating Salem, they have a bigger chip as the new 4A team and maybe less trouble in their schedule. Will Pulaski or William Byrd be a factor or spoiler? EC Glass is intriguing because they were close last year but their best aspect is Coach Woody. Will he mentally convince them that they belong? The other part of the formula is you can be battle tested at 5-5, losses to all winning teams and be a better team on the road vs a team with more points bet maybe less battle scars. I expect Region D to have several lower seeds advance in round 1.

Carroll County got plenty of schools their size surrounding them. River Ridge District that they wanted out of because they couldn't compete in football. (Pulaski, Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Salem, Cave Spring, HV and any other Roanoke School) bad example
Don't shoot the messenger. I was just answering a question about the incentives given to larger schools playing smaller ones.

I'm not a Carroll Co fan, defender, or apologist, but was it a bad example of a school that is isolated due to it's size??

Of the schools you mentioned, only 2 are 60 minutes or less drive city to city, Pulaski(38 minutes) and Christiansburg(52 minutes), and only one of those is 4A. There is only one 4A school in Carroll's region that is 60 minutes or less. Pulaski. Blacksburg is close, 1 hr 3 minutes.

However, there are 10 1/2A schools within 60 minutes drive, city to city, from Carroll.
Galax 22 mins, George Wythe 33 min, Fort Chiswell 26 mins, Grayson Co 37 mins, Floyd Co 37 mins, Marion 54 mins, Rural Retreat 43 mins, Bland Co 41 nins, Giles 60 mins, and Radford 47 mins.

Could be more than 10, but I stopped there because that's a full schedule.

When there are 10 times as many 1/2A schools as 4A within an hour, then, yes, you're isolated.

Also, Carroll can't beat those 1 and 2 A schools on their schedule, so what does it matter in the grand scheme of things. If a 4A school, or any classification for that matter, fluffs their schedule with smaller schools it will come back on them in the playoffs, so it only hurts them NOT the schools they will compete against in the playoffs.

Don't shoot the messenger. I was just answering a question about the incentives given to larger schools playing smaller ones.

I'm not a Carroll Co fan, defender, or apologist, but was it a bad example of a school that is isolated due to it's size??

Of the schools you mentioned, only 2 are 60 minutes or less drive city to city, Pulaski(38 minutes) and Christiansburg(52 minutes), and only one of those is 4A. There is only one 4A school in Carroll's region that is 60 minutes or less. Pulaski. Blacksburg is close, 1 hr 3 minutes.

However, there are 10 1/2A schools within 60 minutes drive, city to city, from Carroll.
Galax 22 mins, George Wythe 33 min, Fort Chiswell 26 mins, Grayson Co 37 mins, Floyd Co 37 mins, Marion 54 mins, Rural Retreat 43 mins, Bland Co 41 nins, Giles 60 mins, and Radford 47 mins.

When there are 10 times as many 1/2A schools as 4A within an hour, then, yes, you're isolated.

Also, Carroll can't beat those 1 and 2 A schools on their schedule, so what does it matter in the grand scheme of things. If a 4A school, or any classification for that matter, fluffs their schedule with smaller schools it will come back on them in the playoffs, so it only hurts them NOT the schools they will compete against in the playoffs.

Agreed as long as we stick to letting at least 8 teams in.

Reactions: Union_Fan

What is makes it tough is Carroll is a 4A School but allowed to compete in a 1A/2A district. It doesn't help them in football for sure but some of their other sports gain a big advantage with playoff seeding after playing a weaker schedule than those schools playing within the same class or 1 level higher or lower. Girls bball is one example

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
1. EC Glass 4-0 28.5
2. Blacksburg 4-1 24.2
3. Charlottesville 3-1 24.0
4. William Byrd 5-0 23.2
5. Pulaski County 4-1 22.8
6. Salem 3-2 22.0
7. George Washington3-1 22.0
8. Amherst 2-2 20.75

Byrd and Pulaski in front of salem, GW and Amherst. Am I the only one that finds this funny. If Byrd or Pulaski played Salem/GW or Amherst schedule they would be 1-4 at best. No doubt. Pulaski almost got beat by 1 win cave spring.

What is makes it tough is Carroll is a 4A School but allowed to compete in a 1A/2A district. It doesn't help them in football for sure but some of their other sports gain a big advantage with playoff seeding after playing a weaker schedule than those schools playing within the same class or 1 level higher or lower. Girls bball is one example
That is an interesting point. I'll have to think on that a little bit before I form an opinion.

1. EC Glass 4-0 28.5
2. Blacksburg 4-1 24.2
3. Charlottesville 3-1 24.0
4. William Byrd 5-0 23.2
5. Pulaski County 4-1 22.8
6. Salem 3-2 22.0
7. George Washington3-1 22.0
8. Amherst 2-2 20.75
9. JF 2-2. 19.75
10. LCA 2-2. 19.50

2 of these 10 teams won't make the playoffs- who do you think is out and why?

I'll fully admit that I don't keep up with any sport other than football, so I don't know how they handle the postseason in other sports for schools who's districts don't match their classification.

I can definitely see your point on those sports if they let Carroll's district record determine their seeding in the 4A postseason.

I would say Byrd and Pulaski out. Byrd plays 2-3a schools and only team they play at/or above them in classification is 0-5 Fleming. Pulaski plays Blacksburg /PH/Salem to end season, which will probably be 3 straight L's. I think the only way either one of these teams win a game in the playoffs, is if they play each other. I think LCA and JF would beat any of these 2 teams.

ByrdFan23 I know they can not help the schedule but the schedule is not going to help them come playoff time. I am not hating because I really don't care but with Bassett 0 wins, hidden valley 0 wins, cave spring 1 win, martinsville 1 win, Richland's 1 win and play 0 win Fleming back to back???how can anyone take Byrd seriously as a contender. Basham a bad man though.
Byrd will get it's opportunity when they play 3a powers Botetourt and Staunton River. Everyody plays cupcakes.

I would say Byrd and Pulaski out. Byrd plays 2-3a schools and only team they play at/or above them in classification is 0-5 Fleming. Pulaski plays Blacksburg /PH/Salem to end season, which will probably be 3 straight L's. I think the only way either one of these teams win a game in the playoffs, is if they play each other. I think LCA and JF would beat any of these 2 teams.
Byrd’s not missing the playoffs with at worst an 8-2 Record.

Yeah I know. It is just a shame that a team gets rewarded for playing 2 tough games in a 10 game regular season. If they played GW/Amherst/LCA/JF or Salem schedule where would they be sitting record wise? My guess is outside looking in. I could care less because I am a 3a guy but I just feel bad for the Seminole guys fighting battles on a week to week basis.

In Byrd's defense, they can't help how weak their district is however, they could schedule tougher OOD teams. Heck, GW is in the same boat. Their district is definitely the weakest in the region but that's not their fault. What helps them is that they played JF, Amherst, and LCA OOD.

In Byrd's defense, they can't help how weak their district is however, they could schedule tougher OOD teams. Heck, GW is in the same boat. Their district is definitely the weakest in the region but that's not their fault. What helps them is that they played JF, Amherst, and LCA OOD.
We had a match-up with Blacksburg until they pulled out at the last minute.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT