ADVERTISEMENT

4D Ratings

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
Salem 5-0 28.4
(PH, Martinsburg, Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, Pulaski)
EC Glass 5-0 26.8
(LCA, Liberty, Amherst, Heritage, Brookville)
Halifax Co 4-1 24.8
(Martinsville, GW, Magna Vista, Patrick Co, Tunstall)
Pulaski Co 5-1 24.333
(Christiansburg, Blacksburg, PH, Salem)
Blacksburg 4-2 22.333
(Cave Spring, Pulaski, Hidden Valley, Christiansburg)
GW Danville 3-2 19.8
(Patrick Co, Bassett, Halifax, Magna Vista, Martinsville)
Jefferson Forest 2-3 19.2
(Liberty, Amherst, Heritage, Brookville, Rustburg)
Amherst Co 1-4 16.4
(Brookville, Jefferson Forest, EC Glass, LCA, Liberty)

Salem 5-0 28.4
EC Glass 5-0 26.8
Halifax Co 4-1 24.8
Pulaski Co 5-1 24.333
Blacksburg 4-2 22.333
GW Danville 3-2 19.8
Amherst Co 1-4 16.4
If Salem and Glass win their remaining games, who would come out on top with the remaining schedule?

Martinsville and Tunstall will kill GW in points. One will be 0-10 and the other will be 1-9. If GW wins out, I see them being no higher than 4. Halifax will be at worst 7-3. maybe even 8-2 or 9-1. We’ll see soon enough. They have a lot to build on going forward.

Salem 5-0 28.4
EC Glass 5-0 26.8
Halifax Co 4-1 24.8
Pulaski Co 5-1 24.333
Blacksburg 4-2 22.333
GW Danville 3-2 19.8
Amherst Co 1-4 16.4

I like this rating list which also reflect each games remaining opponents! I'll likely do this for our teams in Class 6 Reg A, too!!

If Salem and Glass win their remaining games, who would come out on top with the remaining schedule?
Salem would likely outpoint Glass if both teams were to win out. Still half of the regular season left to play and a lot of challenges left for both teams.

Reactions: SFUWO
There is an 8 point difference between Glass and Salem at present.

Just with the current records of remaining opponents, if both win out, Salem would gain +16. That isn't taking into account the riders for those games or the previous schedule. If Salem beats a 9-1 Martinsburg, they get 40 points, and if they lose to them they would get 20. If Glass beats an 8-2 Heritage, they get 38 and if they lose they get 19.

Last edited:
Without doing the math I would say Salem would come out on top. Their reaming opponents have 20 wins with 2 bonus points for playing D5 PH, D3 Hidden Valley, D3 Cave Spring.
Glass remaining opponents only have 8 wins. They will get 6 bonus points for playing 3 D3 schools. Is LCA D2 or 3? That would be 2-4 bonus points for Glass Also the Amherst game will cancel out. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Salem could lose a game and still have top spot. If Salem loses to PH and Martinsburg which is very possible.Glass would pass them.
You don't have much room to improve once you start playing district games because one team is going to win and the other lose. So you get 2 points for the win and 1 point for the team that loses.

Last edited:
Reactions: wikki
There is an 8 point difference between Glass and Salem at present.

Just with the current records of remaining opponents, if both win out, Salem would gain +16. That isn't taking into account the riders for those games or the previous schedule. If Salem beats a 9-1 Martinsburg, they get 40 points, and if they lose to them they would get 20. If Glass beats an 8-2 Heritage, they get 36 and if they lose they get 17.
They would get 38 points because of 2 bonus points for playing D3 team

Salem will finish 1 if both teams win out. If Salem loses to Martinsburg and Glass runs the table Glass will be 1. Lots of football left to play. The Seminole is not as strong this year, out of district record is 13-11, River Ridge out of district is 21-7.
Battlefield and Jefferson both have losing records OOD, just for perspective.

Can anybody enlighten me on how this is calculated. I get that it factors in the SOS but how exactly is it calculated?

Can anybody enlighten me on how this is calculated. I get that it factors in the SOS but how exactly is it calculated?

Game Points
Teams receive game points regardless if they win or lose, but earn significantly more points for winning. For example, a team will earn 26 points for beating a Class 6 team, but will only receive 14 points for losing to a Class 6 team.

Class/Winning Against/Losing Against
Class 6/26/14
Class 5/24/12
Class 4/22/10
Class 3/20/8
Class 2/18/6
Class 1/16/4

Bonus/Rider Points
Bonus points (also known as rider points) are what separate great teams from good teams. For each opponent a team beats—they’ll receive 2 bonus points for each win that opponent has during the season. For opponents a team loses to—they’ll receive only 1 bonus point for each win that opponent has during the season.

For example, if Team A beats Team B who goes 0-10 during the season, Team A will receive no bonus points at all because Team B doesn’t have any wins (0 wins x 2 points) and Team B will receive 10 points (10 wins x 1 point). And if Team A beats Team C who is 9-1, Team A will receive 18 bonus points (9 wins x 2 points) and Team C will receive 10 points (10 wins x 1 point).

Classification Points
The addition of classification points makes it possible for higher class teams to play lower class team's without creating a disadvantage. Historical districts are still used as a core in scheduling, which creates some districts with different class teams. If a higher class team play's a lower class team, they will automatically receive 2 points for each class jump to make up for the difference in base points. These points are now given whether a team is in your district or not.

Since the question has been asked, I will do the projections for each.

What I got:

Salem with a 10-0 record ends up at 340 and with a loss to Martinsburg 320.

Glass with a 10-0 record ends at 318 and with a Heritage loss 299
I have Glass 10-0 at 32.4 (giving 0-7 Charlottesville 3 wins prob wont happen)
I have Salem 10-0 at 33.4 or 9-1 32.6

Reactions: lyhsports
I have Glass 10-0 at 32.4 (giving 0-7 Charlottesville 3 wins prob wont happen)
I have Salem 10-0 at 33.4 or 9-1 32.6

Come on @SFUWO, anything is possible! Not to mention we've got our three biggest rivals, Western Albemarle (2-4), Monticello (1-6) and Albemarle (1-5) to finish. If we can knock off Western this week and gain some confidence, look out. Monticello was our only win last year and each of the past 5 meetings with Albemarle have been decided by 8 points of less (27-26, 32-29, 26-18, 22-14, 13-10). Don't count the chickens for they hatch. Also, pray for us, lol. Good Luck to your Spartans against Martinsburg, hopeful you guys can pull off the upset.

Come on @SFUWO, anything is possible! Not to mention we've got our three biggest rivals, Western Albemarle (2-4), Monticello (1-6) and Albemarle (1-5) to finish. If we can knock off Western this week and gain some confidence, look out. Monticello was our only win last year and each of the past 5 meetings with Albemarle have been decided by 8 points of less (27-26, 32-29, 26-18, 22-14, 13-10). Don't count the chickens for they hatch. Also, pray for us, lol. Good Luck to your Spartans against Martinsburg, hopeful you guys can pull off the upset.

Swu did count his chickens. An I’ll omen for his side. Keep hustling one man, can’t knock it.

Reactions: one man
I'm pulling for you guys. It would be great for them to win all 3 to finish strong. No slight intended. Your right anything is possible.

Since the question has been asked, I will do the projections for each.

What I got:

Salem with a 10-0 record ends up at 340 and with a loss to Martinsburg 320.

Glass with a 10-0 record ends at 318 and with a Heritage loss 299
I assume this does not include rider points? No real way to predetermine rider points that come from defeated opponents.

I assume this does not include rider points? No real way to predetermine rider points that come from defeated opponents.
At this point in the season you can usually make a pretty good guess. Plus you are really only doing it for the OOD opponents. If you are going undefeated then you get all of your district points no matter who beats who.

I'm pulling for you guys. It would be great for them to win all 3 to finish strong. No slight intended. Your right anything is possible.

I don't take it as slight. We are who we are right now, 0-7. I'd like to see you guys beat Martinsburg but also want to see y'all travel to City Stadium to face Glass for the region title. Would be tremendous atmosphere as it's smaller than Salem Stadium and you guys travel a little better than Glass. Quick question @SFUWO , has Salem ever played at City Stadium? If so, when and what is their overall record playing there?

This is where I get those numbers: Remember I posted this last Tuesday, so a couple "assumed" wins could have changed last week.

Salem:
Amherst: 22/4
Franklin: 26/14
Northside: 22/12
Blacksburg: 22/16
Christiansburg: 22/8
Patrick Henry: 24/16
Martinsburg: 22/18 or 10/10
Cave Spring: 22/2
Hidden Valley: 22/12
Pulaski: 22/12

Total: 340 or 320

Glass
Charlottesville: 22/0
Franklin County: 26/14
Jefferson Forest: 22/10
Rustburg: 22/8
George Washington: 22/16
Liberty Christian: 22/14
Liberty: 22/2
Heritage: 22/16 or 10/9
Brookville: 22/10

Total: 318 or 299

I don't take it as slight. We are who we are right now, 0-7. I'd like to see you guys beat Martinsburg but also want to see y'all travel to City Stadium to face Glass for the region title. Would be tremendous atmosphere as it's smaller than Salem Stadium and you guys travel a little better than Glass. Quick question @SFUWO , has Salem ever played at City Stadium? If so, when and what is their overall record playing there?

If I may step in… I knew Salem had played at City Stadium, but I didn’t know the record off the top of my head. According to fourseasonsfootball.com, Salem is 2-3-1 at City Stadium: 1-1 against Heritage, and 1-2-1 against Glass. Last time the Spartans played there was 1989. The only game I ever saw there was the Salem-Glass playoff game in 1986 - Salem’s first-ever appearance in the postseason.

Reactions: one man and SFUWO
What I did is look at the previous OOD teams played schedules. Then predict if they win or not. EX) GW Danville They play Halifax, Basset, Magna Vista and Martinsville. I give GW a win in each game to give Glass the most possible points. 22 W 16. Granted they could lose one of these games and that would take away points. District games will all even out because they play each other. So if Glass wins out they get 2 points for each opponents win. Team A beats team B they only get 2 points. OOD games are huge in this format

Reactions: VAHSFootballFan
If I may step in… I knew Salem had played at City Stadium, but I didn’t know the record off the top of my head. According to fourseasonsfootball.com, Salem is 2-3-1 at City Stadium: 1-1 against Heritage, and 1-2-1 against Glass. Last time the Spartans played there was 1989. The only game I ever saw there was the Salem-Glass playoff game in 1986 - Salem’s first-ever appearance in the postseason.
I was at the Heritage game in 89

Reactions: SpartanOfYore
What I did is look at the previous OOD teams played schedules. Then predict if they win or not. EX) GW Danville They play Halifax, Basset, Magna Vista and Martinsville. I give GW a win in each game to give Glass the most possible points. 22 W 16. Granted they could lose one of these games and that would take away points. District games will all even out because they play each other. So if Glass wins out they get 2 points for each opponents win. Team A beats team B they only get 2 points. OOD games are huge in this format
It helps when all of the teams play their OOD schedules first.

This is where I get those numbers: Remember I posted this last Tuesday, so a couple "assumed" wins could have changed last week.

Salem:

Glass
Charlottesville: 20/8 (win out)
Franklin County: 26/18 (win out)
Jefferson Forest: 22/1 (lose to Heritage and Brookville)
Rustburg: 20/6 (lose out)
Liberty Christian: 20/10
Liberty: 20/6 (might win 1 more game)
Amherst: 22/4 ( win 1 more game)
Heritage: 20/18 or 8/9
Brookville: 20/12

Salem:
Franklin: 26/18
Northside: 20/14
Christiansburg: 20/10
Patrick Henry: 24/14
Cave Spring: 20/4
Hidden Valley: 20/14

Total: 342 or 322

Glass
Jefferson Forest: 22/12 (lose to Heritage and Brookville)

Total: 322 or 301

This is just a possibility. I had to predict some wins and loses so definitely wont be the same as the official standings at the end of season.

Salem:

Glass
Charlottesville: 22/0
Franklin County: 26/14
Jefferson Forest: 22/10
Rustburg: 22/8
Liberty Christian: 22/14
Liberty: 22/2
Heritage: 22/16 or 10/9
Brookville: 22/10

our numbers are just about the same. So we should be at least close :)

Salem:
Franklin: 26/18
Northside: 20/14
Christiansburg: 20/10
Patrick Henry: 24/14
Cave Spring: 20/4
Hidden Valley: 20/14

Total: 342 or 322

Glass
Jefferson Forest: 22/12 (lose to Heritage and Brookville)

Total: 322 or 301

This is just a possibility. I had to predict some wins and loses so definitely wont be the same as the official standings at the end of season.

Franklin can't get 18 points as they have already lost 2 game

It seems like unless the wheels fall off that Salem's SOS is tougher and will give enough rider points at 9-1 to beat 10-0 Glass regardless. That's what I'm taking away from the prognosticating right now anyway.

Upset?

I would call Salem over Martinsburg an upset. Martinsburg has won 40-something straight and Salem is coming off a 1st round playoff exit. I know Salem players and coaches expect to win but even some of your wise posters have mentioned that Mburg should be the favorite this year with the tables potentially turning next year. Salem is still relatively young in a lot of spots this season. Maybe this is the game it all comes together. I have a strong feeling that this game will really speed up the development of their young pieces. Whether that means they'll rise to the occasion and break the Bulldogs streak or whether they take one on the chin and grow from a loss, these are games Salem folk live for. Like I said, I'm rooting for you.

Reactions: RKE Fan and SFUWO
I would call Salem over Martinsburg an upset. Martinsburg has won 40-something straight and Salem is coming off a 1st round playoff exit. I know Salem players and coaches expect to win but even some of your wise posters have mentioned that Mburg should be the favorite this year with the tables potentially turning next year. Salem is still relatively young in a lot of spots this season. Maybe this is the game it all comes together. I have a strong feeling that this game will really speed up the development of their young pieces. Whether that means they'll rise to the occasion and break the Bulldogs streak or whether they take one on the chin and grow from a loss, these are games Salem folk live for. Like I said, I'm rooting for you.
So far no one has even slowed The Bulldogs down. Granted the teams they have played are bad outside of the PA team. I exspect this to be a tougher game for the dogs but they should be the favorite to win the game. The local sports casters for Martinsburg predicted 35-30 and 35- 28.Bulldogs.
Kind of pointless exercise both programs have plenty of work before the regular season ends.
You can always predict the highest points a team can get. We all know that there is plenty of work to do and Glass is the Fav out of 4D at home or on the road. We are talking about 15-18 yr old kids. Anything is possible, but it's not pointless .I enjoy trying to figure it out.

Last edited:
So far no one has even slowed The Bulldogs down. Granted the teams they have played are bad outside of the PA team. I exspect this to be a tougher game for the dogs but they should be the favorite to win the game. The local sports casters for Martinsburg predicted 35-30 and 35- 28.Bulldogs.

You can always predict the highest points a team can get. We all know that there is plenty of work to do and Glass is the Fav out of 4D at home or on the road. We are talking about 15-18 yr old kids. Anything is possible, but it's not pointless .I enjoy trying to figure it out.
Not pointless because I appreciate the information so maybe I should choose my words better. But as you said 15-18 year old kids anything can happen.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT