ADVERTISEMENT

59 - 58. Luray wins Region B Girls

24 Free Throws shot by one player is ridiculous... The 8 FTs in the 1Q were absurd. Really good player, doesn't need those calls but the word is out on her scoring prowess so she's getting the unwarranted calls as well.[/QU

What's the skinny on Luray? Poquoson is playing them at Page County HS on Friday night....

What's the skinny on Luray? Poquoson is playing them at Page County HS on Friday night....
Luray plays HARD. They have a 1000+ scorer as a Sophomore who is strong, composed, and just competes. They don't have much size but they generally run a soft zone and pack it in if needed. They make random 3 pointers that are ugly shots but have made enough to make me believe they are effective. They aren't deep but the do it all Sophomore averages 30+ a game. If the opposing kids aren't willing to flop or take a charge then she will continue to score at will.

Do you know much about Region A? The team records are abysmal. On that note, Region B Luray and Strasburg records are good but the competition is very average.

how would you handicap the field in 2A girls? The boogeyman, Wise, can't extend their streak this year so it seems wide open.

Luray plays HARD. They have a 1000+ scorer as a Sophomore who is strong, composed, and just competes. They don't have much size but they generally run a soft zone and pack it in if needed. They make random 3 pointers that are ugly shots but have made enough to make me believe they are effective. They aren't deep but the do it all Sophomore averages 30+ a game. If the opposing kids aren't willing to flop or take a charge then she will continue to score at will.

Now that's impressive...if Poquoson can somehow limit her and make some shots, they'll have a chance. The word "compete" really describes Poquoson well...they're not big and they don't have any one player that I'd consider a good basketball player, but they've managed to win w/hustle and determination.

how would you handicap the field in 2A girls? The boogeyman, Wise, can't extend their streak this year so it seems wide open.

It's simple. Whoever wins the Union and GC/Floyd semifinal wins the title. Farther east you go in Virginia, the worse the girls teams get.

Reactions: VAHoops1
Do you know much about Region A? The team records are abysmal. On that note, Region B Luray and Strasburg records are good but the competition is very average.

I only know abut Poquoson and the teams I saw in the regional tournament, who were Prince Edward, Amelia and Thomas Jefferson...I wasn't impressed w/any of them, to say the least. TJ has two HUGE girls that were not good, but big enough to rebound and score against Poquoson. In terms of records, I can only speak to Poquoson's...they primarily play against Class 3 and 4 teams in the regular season, and some pretty good ones at that, such as Grafton, Warhill and Smithfield. Virtually every Poquoson athletic team runs into this scenario...they're reasonably competitive w/the bigger schools in the district, which typically enables them to get a high seed for the Class 2 regionals. It definitely prepares them, but they also miss out on some home games at times....

It's simple. Whoever wins the Union and GC/Floyd semifinal wins the title. Farther east you go in Virginia, the worse the girls teams get.

I agree about SW VA being strong, but don't count out Luray/Strasburg.

Over the last several years, it looks like the west has owned Classes 1 through 3, while the east has owned Classes 4 through 6...Princess Anne in Virginia Beach is the premiere program in the state, regardless of class.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I will just point out the obvious.......neither Luray or Strasburg is THAT far east. By most standards, they would still be considered in the "western" part of Virginia...maybe Northwest, but certainly not east. I guess we will know soon enough who has the best teams in all divisions for both boys and girls. That is why they play the games.

I don't have a dog in this fight but I will just point out the obvious.......neither Luray or Strasburg is THAT far east. By most standards, they would still be considered in the "western" part of Virginia...maybe Northwest, but certainly not east. I guess we will know soon enough who has the best teams in all divisions for both boys and girls. That is why they play the games.
Thank You.

She still had to make the shots,and people like you stir up this crap.

Well he isn't wrong, it's highly unlikely that in a title game which is usually called a little laxer, one player isn't likely to shoot 24 FTs in a girls game which doesn't usually produce scores higher than 120 total.

Again no dog here...but I think what creates controversy on here is when a fan comes on to praise their own team, which is of course perfectly fine, but feels as if they have to tear down another team in order to do it. Why not just let every fan toot their own horn and then see what happens on the court?

I definitely haven’t seen anyone on this thread tear anyone else’s team down. I wish Region B was a bit better so that we could see how Luray and Strasburg stack up prior to the State tourney.

Two statements made:
Luray plays HARD
Luray could be in the title game
No response...

One statement made:
No one person is shooting 24 FTs in a state title game

Response: Crap is being stirred

Its very difficult having a discussion these days. No one wants to communicate. They just want to get their point across.

Over the last several years, it looks like the west has owned Classes 1 through 3, while the east has owned Classes 4 through 6...Princess Anne in Virginia Beach is the premiere program in the state, regardless of class.
Fake news the last 3/4 champs in 1a boys have been from the east

What I saw in the Luray/ Strasburg game. 1) Free throws/fouls called were legit. Strasburg failed to contain Weakley and force her left. She continued to reverse and penetrate the lane all night. She’s a very nice player but you have to square up and take away the drive.
Also Strasburg NEVER reversed the ball on offense to take advantage of their size and Luray’s overplay. At times in the 4th quarter Luray was actually triple teaming the post

all that aside, I can see both Region B teams advancing, IMO the Region is not that weak Should be two good games, wish I could catch at least one

Reactions: pizzzzza
What I saw in the Luray/ Strasburg game. 1) Free throws/fouls called were legit. Strasburg failed to contain Weakley and force her left. She continued to reverse and penetrate the lane all night. She’s a very nice player but you have to square up and take away the drive.
Also Strasburg NEVER reversed the ball on offense to take advantage of their size and Luray’s overplay. At times in the 4th quarter Luray was actually triple teaming the post

all that aside, I can see both Region B teams advancing, IMO the Region is not that weak Should be two good games, wish I could catch at least one
Thank You

I don't think anyone claimed the refs were bailing out any team and calling bad fouls, only that in the state tourney, the games can be more physical and a little less tightly called so it's unlikely that against very good teams you'll see one player alone shooting that many FTs in a girls game.

I don't think anyone claimed the refs were bailing out any team and calling bad fouls, only that in the state tourney, the games can be more physical and a little less tightly called so it's unlikely that against very good teams you'll see one player alone shooting that many FTs in a girls game.
Exactly

Couple of potential jump balls were called fouls but I understood the calls. They looked like fouls but were smart plays by the defender.

Agree on the Strasburg offense... Flash the other big to the high post and they could have been on to something. Too many long 3 attempts.. I don't know if Strasburg can get past TJ.

Agree things at States my be called looser than regular season, but with quarters at local high school sites (in this case Luray playing sat Page County gym) I think you’ll see similar official crews and similar calls ( I miss the Super Sites with a far greater playoff atmosphere)
Also, the crew that did the Luray/Strasburg game I know quite well (grew up with David & Tim). They are normality a”let them play” style crew but the Weakley kid is very good at drawing fouls. First time I’ve seen her play this year but was impressed with her improvements

You can count them out. The one thing I know about SW VA is that they produce really good Guard play and that is lacking in Region B.

I just wanted to remind you of what you said about Strasburg and Luray......

I think I mentioned that Region B should not be overlooked. Always competitive on the girls side
Looks like I may be at that one next Tuesday

Reactions: pizzzzza
I think I mentioned that Region B should not be overlooked. Always competitive on the girls side
Looks like I may be at that one next Tuesday

if Union can win in Wise tmrw, it'll be Regions B&D as the only regions alive as GC dispatched 2C top seed Floyd.

I hear ya......but felt Luray and Strasburg weren't getting their due respect due to SWVa girls dominance the past years..

Well the boogeyman is gone, Wise can't do it again this year but both GC and Union have played for state titles recently so no offense but hopefully the M7 can produce another champion lol. Interestingly enough, both GC and Union lost to other M7 teams in the state title game as Wise beat GC and Ridgeview beat Union

Well the boogeyman is gone, Wise can't do it again this year but both GC and Union have played for state titles recently so no offense but hopefully the M7 can produce another champion lol. Interestingly enough, both GC and Union lost to other M7 teams in the state title game as Wise beat GC and Ridgeview beat Union

I have had nothing but respect for SWVa girls basketball for many years...follow them very closely year in year out.

But I think this is the year they lose their stranglehold on the title to either Luray or Strasburg.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT