ADVERTISEMENT

A few final thoughts on Boys Soccer..

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
1) Wow- that's a long trip to the Radford area - about 5 hours from NHS. 81 is one wild a-- drive - 100 miles at night with what seemed like 500 monster tractor trailers flying through the mountains - it like Mad Max - fury road ha.

Last time I was there was twice in 2014 - once for Essex soccer at Radford in the Spring and once for Essex football at Salem in the Fall. Never drove it as usually on a charter bus or riding with my coaching buddies.

2) The NHS fan bus did not arrive until 20 minutes left in the second half. I hugged almost all them as they had been stuck on 81 because of all the wrecks. The Indians were already down 3-0. The fans cheered loud and the Indians played inspired ball to the end.

The boys under Coach Caleb Smith held they heads high as they had accomplished their 4 year goal of turning it around and making the final four.

3) Rappahannock brought the most fans of all 4 teams even though the Region C teams were fairly close to the stadium.

Last edited:
Lastly, NO Region A boys 1A soccer team in the last 20 years has won the State title played in the Radford area.

Region A has had Northampton (with many, many powerhouse teams) Mathews was a power for a long time, Essex had many powerful teams, Rappahannock has been a power the last 5 years, W&L has been great and West Point as well. Yet, no one has won out west. Interesting.

Last edited:
Galax was well represented even though, for the second year in a row and third time in four years, graduation ceremonies were scheduled at the same time as the Class 1 soccer final.

Maybe administration will exhibit a little more forethought next year and schedule graduation at another time! It isn't like the entire state doesn't know exactly when the spring jubilee is being held.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT