ADVERTISEMENT

A few observations from Galax

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
We are out here for a few days visiting our daughter and her husband.
First, it's just beautiful country out this way.
Oak Hill Academy is way the hell out there.
Grayson County HS linemen were on the field having technique practice yesterday. Neat little field.
I'm going to Galax football field for a peek today.
If we get to Hillsville today I plan to stop at CC football field.
I love it out this way. Somewhere in my DNA are SwVa genes.

You're now in my neck of the woods. I live 14 miles from Carroll County High School and 12 miles from the town of Pulaski and we do most of our shopping in Galax. Welcome to our little part of Virginia!
Thank you. You are a lucky man. Beautiful area, and wonderful people. It doesn't get much better. We just got back from Fries. It's sad that so much of our manufacturing capabilities have been lost. Even with so many jobs in this part of the state gone, the people just try to hang in there for the most part.

I look forward to meeting you personally one day greyfox. As I wind down toward full retirement in April of 2020, I plan to spend a lot of time just wandering the countryside out here. If we don't cross paths before then, maybe after that.

You're now in my neck of the woods. I live 14 miles from Carroll County High School and 12 miles from the town of Pulaski and we do most of our shopping in Galax. Welcome to our little part of Virginia!
You are a lucky man! When I retire, I plan to move to Pulaski or Christiansburg (that’s a loooooong time away lol). I’m a Danville boy until death, but I have roots in the NRV. I love that place more than anywhere.

Make sure to check out the New River while in the area DP .
Funny that someone would mention the New River because I live right on the New River. 2,219 ft of land that actually touch the water on one side and the New River trail running along the other side. Anyone interested in seeing pictures can I add me on Facebook.....Alfred Wyatt, Barren Spings

Funny that someone would mention the New River because I live right on the New River. 2,219 ft of land that actually touch the water on one side and the New River trail running along the other side. Anyone interested in seeing pictures can I add me on Facebook.....Alfred Wyatt, Barren Spings
This old Indian misses the old New River District , some of the prettiest bus rides a kid could ever take . From Carroll to Giles the New is breathtaking ,we are blessed here in the NRV.

I was only half joking with someone at our schools about bus drivers when I said go out this way and recruit some. Anybody that can drive a school bus out here can drive a bus safely, anywhere!

I've got to head back home to reality today, so not a lot of sightseeing time left. But, it won't be long before I'm back. But maybe we can get to Fancy Gap this morning before we head east. Thank you.

Though it's not exactly close by, one day I want to run out to Burke's Garden. I've heard about it all my life, but I've never had time to make the trip.

Reactions: greyfox60
BTW, how many seasons does Galax have on their turf field? It looks like brand new.
I love the way it sits in a natural bowl. It looks like what a football stadium should look like.

Reactions: Gen54
Greyfox, I just sent you a message on the conversation feature.

I didn't get the chance to go to Fancy Gap today. I'll check it out on my next trip.

I did swing by Magna Vista on the way home so I can at least say I saw "The Hole". Neat old place.

It's probably a good thing you didn't go, I came back up to her about 1 or 1:30 yesterday and it was so foggy you couldn't see nothing anyhow. Need a good clear day
Surprisingly, when we crossed the mountains around 4:00, it was pretty clear. We stopped at that Lavender and Herb farm. Yep, you guessed it, closed on Wed.

I did make that side trip to go by and see "The Hole" at Magna Vista. I really liked the place. I love old stadiums anyway. I will say that Soapstone Road is right tough. I sure wouldn't want to be a school bus driver out there.

Surprisingly, when we crossed the mountains around 4:00, it was pretty clear. We stopped at that Lavender and Herb farm. Yep, you guessed it, closed on Wed.

I did make that side trip to go by and see "The Hole" at Magna Vista. I really liked the place. I love old stadiums anyway. I will say that Soapstone Road is right tough. I sure wouldn't want to be a school bus driver out there.
My grandmother lives off of Soapstone on Chestnut Knob Mountain! I learned how to drive on Soapstone RD. She also worked 40+ years for Henry County Public Schools...YOU GUESSED IT...Driving the school buses up and down Soapstone to Magna Vista (Drewry Mason before MV opened in the late 80s).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT