ADVERTISEMENT

A Game of Two Halves (Sherando/Fort Hill)

Shruikan

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 2, 2010
First of all, I'd like to say congratulations to the Fort Hill Sentinels. They were the better team tonight and it showed. Not only that, with a few exceptions, their fans provided for a fantastic Friday night atmosphere.

This was a game of two halves. In the first half, penalties aside, Fort Hill couldn't do anything against Sherando on offense or defense. The Warriors marched up and down the field at will with long drives, two of which resulted in touchdowns. When they went up 14-0, I got to thinking that maybe Sherando really could be considered to be a 4A West favorite. It seemed like they were in total control of the game.

In the second half, the Sentinels proved me wrong in a big way. Their 23 point comeback started off with a touchdown scored in under 22 seconds, the Fort Hill faithful went crazy. I clapped, realizing that the Warriors had laid an egg to start off the second half in two earlier season games, the first being against Eastern View and the second against James Wood.

The Sentinel kickoff resulted in the Warriors getting the ball on their own one yard line, and the defense showed up big to sack them back in their own end zone for the safety. It was 14-9 Sentinels. The mood of the game had clearly changed.

In the next few minutes, the Sentinels pushed it into the end zone yet again, taking the lead 16-14.

Later on in the game, it looked like Fort Hill had handed the game back to the Warriors after throwing a costly pick in Warrior territory. On the next play, Sherando missed the blitz and Pat Minteer went down hard, moving it to 2nd and 19. With the situation dire, the Warriors fumbled the handoff and it looked like another play was going to result in negative yardage, but somehow they pushed through and ran it up near the first down. When being taken down, the runner fumbled the ball away and the Sentinels recovered.

From then on out, the Sentinels controlled the tempo of the game as they had for most of the second half. Right at the end of a long drive, they scored again to move the score to 23-14, which was also the final score.

Watching Fort Hill in the second half it was obvious to me why they'd won two consecutive state championships. They're a great team with a fantastic coaching staff, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them hang up another banner this year.

If the Warriors are going to be competitive in the 4A West, they'll need to learn a lot from this game moving forward, or they'll be knocked out in the first round. They might even lose again before the regular season is over given how cross county rival Millbrook demolished a Tyler Bishop-less James Wood squad that Sherando barely escaped a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't want to be the team paired off against Millbrook in the first round, that's for sure. They're above and beyond the most improved team in 4A this year, and maybe even the whole state.

Before I conclude, I want to touch a bit on the calls made in the first half by the refs. Each of the big calls against the Sentinels appeared to be to be pretty obvious, not calls that were very questionable. Blaming the refs for the closeness of the game is taking away from a fantastic coaching staff and team that came out in the second half with adjustments that blew the Warriors off the field. It wasn't because of the lack of calls, it was because the Sentinels looked like a different team in the second half.

I have nothing but respect for Fort Hill. Like I said earlier, it was a great game night even as a Sherando fan. My only complaints were some fans trash talking Sherando as a facility, claiming they paid off the refs, and other petty insults that did nothing but understate how good their team really is.

Best of luck to Fort Hill heading forward. I hope you guys can hang up another banner this year.

Very good synopsis and thank you for the kind words. We have nothing but respect for Sherando and wish you luck going forward this year, you are a helluva team!! First rate atmosphere, the horse and fireworks were awesome!! Thanks for an amazing night. See you next year at our house. Also, nearly EVERYONE on FH's roster returns next year.

Reactions: Shruikan
Very good synopsis and thank you for the kind words. We have nothing but respect for Sherando and wish you luck going forward this year, you are a helluva team!! First rate atmosphere, the horse and fireworks were awesome!! Thanks for an amazing night. See you next year at our house. Also, nearly EVERYONE on FH's roster returns next year.

I look forward to it! I think next year's game will favor Fort Hill, but I'll be there on gameday.

Nice Recap. Very simple game to understand tonight. Sherando smacked FH in the mouth in the first half. In the second half FH punched Sherando in the mouth after some GREAT halftime adjustments. Great Coaching by the FH staff they simply out coached coach Hall and staff in the second half. The first touchdown in the second half looked like a delayed release by the wr on a crossing route. Mark this down if the Warriors staff don't learn how to adjust in game or at the half they WILL be 1 and done in the playoffs. Embarrassing coaching in the second half. I would not be suprised if Millbrook beats the Warriors at all.

GREAT GAME FORT HIILL. LOOKING FOWARD TO SEEING YOUR STADIUM NEXT YEAR.

I dont think it was so much the calls against FH that were awful...although I didnt realize 12 men on the field was a 10 yard penalty, which was got marked off...but it was the lack of calls against SHErando in the first half that were puzzling. On at least 3 occasions the slot receiver for SHS was jumping the count or, one time, not even set at all. It was like Canadian rules. And ironically the oft penalized Sentinels were nearly penalty free in the second half?

But you are completely right, despite whatever anyone may feel about the officiating...it was the adjustments at halftime tha changed the tune of the game and lead to the won for Fort Hill.

The good thing, or bad thing if youre SHErando, is the entire backfield and QB are underclassmen. They'll be back for the game in Cumberland next year.

And I must say, I thought we loved our football up here in the hills...you guys do it UP! Fabulous atmosphere, great facility and fans. We need fireworks back home. :)

Good luck to the Warriors going forward.

The fireworks were beautiful in the first half... Must have been broke in the second half. Just kidding. Beautiful facilities and grass field.

Very proud of my home town. We have tough resilient young men that like to keep fighting.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Yeah.. Safe and sound. The people were very hospitable and helpful getting things in place for the game. What do they put in the water down there? Man the kids are big!

Reactions: PWA Docket 7323
I can't say enough how great the entire experience was. First rate team, facility, fan base and evening. Thanks for a good show, win or lose it would have been great. However it is always better to be on the winning end

Reactions: FortHillFan89
I have enjoyed the large amount of FH fans posting here this week. I wish the big-name VA schools had that many fans here on a weekly basis, this place would be LIT (as the kids today like to say), and Rod and company would be basking in the website hits.

Taking nothing away from Sherando which is a first rate program. But I'm sorry without the BIG penalties and lack thereof this game would have been a double digit win for FH... Those penalties stalled FH drives and extended Sherando drives in the first half...

Last edited:
Can we dispense with the Tyler Bishop stuff. He is a great player, but he was not worth 72 points. Skyline was tied with James Wood in the 2nd quarter before he got injured. James Wood actually came back from a deficit without him and almost won in overtime. I am not a big fan of Millbrook, but people need to start recognizing that they have an outstanding team this year.

Can we dispense with the Tyler Bishop stuff. He is a great player, but he was not worth 72 points. Skyline was tied with James Wood in the 2nd quarter before he got injured. James Wood actually came back from a deficit without him and almost won in overtime. I am not a big fan of Millbrook, but people need to start recognizing that they have an outstanding team this year.

Yeah that's fair enough. I think if Bishop had been playing, James Wood probably would have scored once or twice, but it still wouldn't have stopped Millbrook from scoring 55+ with ease.

I wasn't trying to take away from how good Millbrook is, they're fantastic and could arguably be the favorite in the Sherando game given how both teams have played recently. Me mentioning Bishop wasn't intended to belittle their victory at all, was more or less just me searching for descriptive words late at night. I'm not used to doing write-ups so soon after the games are over.

I wasn't trying to criticize just you. Newspaper and radio have been talking about it like that was the only way Skyline could win. Never mind that the Hawks lost their quarterback in the Wood game and still came back for the win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT