ADVERTISEMENT

All Timesland football team

Staunton River Coach wins coach of the year. That is one of the biggest travesties I have ever seen. SR didn't even get to the finals this year. They had a nice run but never won a state title. Without a question this was not a close call in Timesland. Coach Mags should have been an overwhelming choice. Might have been able to accept Blacksburg coach but this choice is just dumb. What a joke. Never getting a subscription to that stupid excuse for a paper again.

Staunton River Coach wins coach of the year. That is one of the biggest travesties I have ever seen. SR didn't even get to the finals this year. They had a nice run but never won a state title. Without a question this was not a close call in Timesland. Coach Mags should have been an overwhelming choice. Might have been able to accept Blacksburg coach but this choice is just dumb. What a joke. Never getting a subscription to that stupid excuse for a paper again.
SBU, I see your point. Mags should probably be Coach of the Year, every year in the Roanoke area. Staunton River will more than likely never have another team like they’ve had the past two years, Mags will definitely get his due credit, especially when he retires. He’ll be up there with the best of the best and has a sure place in the Hall of Fame.

SBU, I see your point. Mags should probably be Coach of the Year, every year in the Roanoke area. Staunton River will more than likely never have another team like they’ve had the past two years, Mags will definitely get his due credit, especially when he retires. He’ll be up there with the best of the best and has a sure place in the Hall of Fame.
Just really bad choice. I mean do you not give it to Mags because he's always good? This seems like an "everyone gets a trophy" pick or we need to sell more papers in the Staunton River area.

Reactions: panther308
Just really bad choice. I mean do you not give it to Mags because he's always good? This seems like an "everyone gets a trophy" pick or we need to sell more papers in the Staunton River area.
I agree Southbottom. Earlier in the year there were probably 3 or 4 coaches in the running. But for Coach Meganbauer to turn that team around for the run they made when many had them winning only one playoff game was nothing short of amazing to watch as the season went on.. and a 3rd consecutive State Title makes it a no brainer IMO

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Of course, it’s all political. Look at those player rankings at the end of the year. Your last sentence is, true enough and more likely the paper’s mentality. I felt like it would be Staunton River’s coach or Chilhowie’s.

I agree Southbottom. Earlier in the year there were probably 3 or 4 coaches in the running. But for Coach Meganbauer to turn that team around for the run they made when many had them winning only one playoff game was nothing short of amazing to watch as the season went on.. and a 3rd consecutive State Title makes it a no brainer IMO
Thing is, in a down year, Salem wins more than 1 or 2 playoff games. That’s just expected. Also you can’t pay attention to a politically correct paper who picks Salem to only beat teams like Hidden Valley, Christiansburg and Cave Spring by 2 and 3 TDs lol

It's because he retired. It's not really a big deal but I'm pretty sure everyone else realizes what is what on that pick.

Last edited:
Congrats to Coach Poston. You took a community that never did much in football deep into the playoffs the last few years. That's coaching and I feel you are deserving of recognition.

Reactions: 97Srhs24095
Congrats to Coach Poston. You took a community that never did much in football deep into the playoffs the last few years. That's coaching and I feel you are deserving of recognition.
Everyone gets a trophy syndrome. Poston deserves District and regional coach of the year (that's recognition). Just not Timesland this year.

State Championship versus Timesland Coach of the Year? Mags got what he wanted and probably could care less about Coach of the Year.

I know Mags doesn't care. He would never say a word. But that don't make it right. I hate seeing this type of injustice. Timesland is the all time politically correct team. They make sure they honor all areas of their circulation. Mags was 4a Coach of the year. His team won the State title for the third straight year. No other team in Timesland wins a title so they give it to the coach of a team that got beat in the semis. Stunning

I can't disagree Southbottom, but its the media. As a former coach I always appreciated honors received voted on by other coaches and did not put a ton of emphasis on how the media voted. I cant speak for the Timesland, but in Richmond certain teams get coverage and some dont. A few players are missed and I have seen coaches get selected where I too shook my head. Maybe in this situation they thought the Staunton River coach did more with less. I don't know, but once again as a coach a media chosen coach of the year is virtually meaningless unless you need it to feed your ego. Do you honestly think that the readers, coaches and players do not know who the best coach in the Timesland is?

I can't disagree Southbottom, but its the media. As a former coach I always appreciated honors received voted on by other coaches and did not put a ton of emphasis on how the media voted. I cant speak for the Timesland, but in Richmond certain teams get coverage and some dont. A few players are missed and I have seen coaches get selected where I too shook my head. Maybe in this situation they thought the Staunton River coach did more with less. I don't know, but once again as a coach a media chosen coach of the year is virtually meaningless unless you need it to feed your ego. Do you honestly think that the readers, coaches and players do not know who the best coach in the Timesland is?
I agree, it's obvious. Therefore, why didn't he win it. Everyone gets a trophy syndrome. Got to be careful that Salem doesn't get too much. Look, this bothers me and probably few others. And I'm sure Mags could care less. I just hate the frikin media with their bias, politically correct, ignorant bs

State Championship versus Timesland Coach of the Year? Mags got what he wanted and probably could care less about Coach of the Year.
Poston probably would rather have a state title than this award as well. My point is that people do deserve to be recognized for their achievements. Coach Magenbauer is very deserving of this and I am sure when he retires he will accumulate his share of awards as well as state championships. I would bet that he probably will cherish molding young boys into men and teaching them life long lessons through the game of football. That being said, Coach Poston also has done a fabulous job at Staunton River and too is deserving of the recognition. I don't work for the press but I can see why they made their decision. Whether or not one agrees with that is their opinion and entitled to that opinion. I feel that when a man has worked for the good of a community and in this case he took a group of high school kids to places they never seen the last few years, the last thing that man deserves is to be dragged through the mud.

Poston probably would rather have a state title than this award as well. My point is that people do deserve to be recognized for their achievements. Coach Magenbauer is very deserving of this and I am sure when he retires he will accumulate his share of awards as well as state championships. I would bet that he probably will cherish molding young boys into men and teaching them life long lessons through the game of football. That being said, Coach Poston also has done a fabulous job at Staunton River and too is deserving of the recognition. I don't work for the press but I can see why they made their decision. Whether or not one agrees with that is their opinion and entitled to that opinion. I feel that when a man has worked for the good of a community and in this case he took a group of high school kids to places they never seen the last few years, the last thing that man deserves is to be dragged through the mud.
Whose dragging Poston through the mud? Have not said one unkind word about him. He probably should have (if he wasn't) coach of the year in his district and region. I'm sure he is a credit to his community and has done great things for the kids. That can be said of almost every high school coach. They almost all work their butts off for very little money. I'm sure Poston is a fine man and deserves the recognition that I mentioned. He just doesn't deserve the Timesland coach of the year award over Mags. He just doesn't. There is no measurable that justifies that decision. Mags gets overlooked because Salem is so successful and it's assumed that they are always good. It's not that hard to get good for a short spurt, but it's dang hard to stay good every year.

Really not a big deal.
You're right and I shouldn't get so upset. I'm just extremely agitated by the nation's media right now, sports and political. They all seem to have an agenda and a narrative that they drive home at all cost. This is a minor example of it. However, Mags should have won, and the only reason he didn't was because the paper has to spread their awards around so they can sell subscriptions (heaven forbid if it's perceived that Salem gets too much).This has nothing to do with Poston, I'm sure he's a great guy. He just doesn't deserve this particular award over Mags.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT