ADVERTISEMENT

Altavista over Rapp, CB & William Campbell trade scores in Wild one!

uvacavs1

VaPreps All District
Jul 30, 2010
Not a good night for the Neck and Tidewater as all the local teams fall. Colonial Beach and KW fall in close ones. Only Essex remains, to redeem the Neck and Peninsula areas....and to finish the journey.

I was hoping Rappahannock could pull the upset but AltaVista came to play, while Rapp seemed to just go through the motions. No turnovers by A-Town (they have been having a lot lately) and they have more athletes for sure (most local people I spoke with had predicted an AltaVista victory by 1 to 3 TDs). Still 1st half was anyone's game.

A-town scored a TD on their 1st possession on a long time consuming drive, Rapp responded by like marching (and passing) all the way down to the 5 (1st and goal I believe), but could not get in. Then Rapp missed the field goal when it banged off the bar. Oh boy I thought....missed a big opportunity there....

Still Rapp stopped Altavisa on a couple possessions, but could not score with great field position, could not tackle the A town punter when he mishandled the ball, and so on. AltaVista kicked field goal with no time left in 1st. Stats very close in 1st half.

2nd half was all A town with 21 points in 3rd. Game over.

I think that Rapp does really well for the talent and athletic level they have. I mean a 7 win season almost every year. So good job to the players and coaches. The only thought I had was the lack of enthusiasm. The two games I attended this season, I would have expected to see a little more excitement by a team when a big game is still winnable. Not a slam at all as I want them to win. Get a little energy boys!

Look at Colonial Beach (3-7). CB just dropped 60 on William Campbell at WC had the lead with 40 seconds left!!!

William Campbell is the 3rd highest rated team in 1A (behind the big boys). Dang, you almost did it Drifters!!!!

Let's see WC just beat AltaVista like 34-7. Rapp recently beat CB 27-8....What a Crazy game football can be!

Rapp pull the upset, are you kidding me? They got smacked by 4-6 football team when they were 7-3 and have one of the top defenses in the state. Give me a break. nND and tidewater are bad, real bad and you and some others crushed me for saying so. How's the crow, I volunteered to eat mine but doesn't look like I'll need it. I believe you even mentioned me in another thread?

Wasn't at the game but did receive updates but looked like Altavista came to play. I said earlier in the week in a thread that Rapp had to control the game with their line and pound the ball. They obviously couldn't do that. Altavista despite their record has been battle tested. Interesting matchup with Riverheads next week

Wasn't at the game but did receive updates but looked like Altavista came to play. I said earlier in the week in a thread that Rapp had to control the game with their line and pound the ball. They obviously couldn't do that. Altavista despite their record has been battle tested. Interesting matchup with Riverheads next week
Rapp was never any good at any point in the season, period. Consistently overrated. The level of play in that part of the state is horrendous and has been for a few years. Every year one or two teams not named Essex beat up on the other group of pathetic teams and think they're doing something. Then come playoff time, abracadabra they disappear unless they get lucky enough to play in a rematch. Best coached team is colonial beach, give them 100 more kids in their student body and they would be at the top every year.

different ranking system - seeding for regions is different than VHSL Rating System for entire state.

In final regular season VHSL rating system, WC #3, AltaVista #13, Rapp #23, CB #25.

Riverheads #1 and Essex #2.

A-town 2 time defending champs - all the local knowledgeable folks I spoke with picked AltaVista to win by 7 to 21+ points. I had posted that I hoped that they could pull it off...didn't happen. Never said the overall Neck and Tidewater were football powerhouses this year, just that they were relatively similar to others in their relative position.

I believe I have said a couple times that I would love to see an AltaVista v Essex rematch....not sure though if they can get by a great Riverheads though...

Now I've still got that old "weak" NND winning states this year and I definitely will stand by it...

Only way Essex would play Altavista this year is if they both make it to the state championship. Will say I was definitely surprised by the WC-CB score tonight. I know CB has a great backfield but their weak point has been their line play. But a lot of times it's about matchups and from what I have been told at least as I haven't seen WC on film yet is they aren't very big up front either but have good athletes. Next up for WC is a Sussex team that is huge and has a solid defense. Essex if it gets by Luray next Friday will play the winner of that game in 2 weeks with a final 4 berth on the line.

different ranking system - seeding for regions is different than VHSL Rating System for entire state.

In final regular season VHSL rating system, WC #3, AltaVista #13, Rapp #23, CB #25.

Riverheads #1 and Essex #2.

A-town 2 time defending champs - all the local knowledgeable folks I spoke with picked AltaVista to win by 7 to 21+ points. I had posted that I hoped that they could pull it off...didn't happen. Never said the overall Neck and Tidewater were football powerhouses this year, just that they were relatively similar to others in their relative position.

Not even close to relatively similar. The group as a whole is terrible and anyone that has seen them play would clearly understand how bad the football is. They need some better coaching STAFFs (tough to find good help at small schools), realistic expectations, better attitudes, and understand the difference between liking something and actually being committed. When that happens, things will improve and I will change my tune.

" The group as a whole is terrible and anyone that has seen them play would clearly understand how bad the football is. They need some better coaching STAFFs (tough to find good help at small schools), realistic expectations, better attitudes, and understand the difference between liking something and actually being committed. When that happens, things will improve and I will change my tune."

Yes, I certainly agree. Man, the Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns are just horrible indeed. What an embarrassment to the NFL. Wow, they sure do struggle to field awesome teams every year even with all those endless monetary and expert resources available to them.

Oh, you said this happens only to small rural high schools in 1A East Virginia. My bad.

Reactions: Jdavis54
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT