ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing how Southeastern Virginia has dominated...

GilliamRatings

VaPreps All State
Jun 5, 2001
Orange, Virginia
the State Championships since realignment. I really quit following VHSL football after that since it was going to be so uncompetitive. I remember it was going to be decades before anyone else won a title in the rest of the state. I just thought I'd check in today and congratulate the 757 on its 30 state championships over the past 5 seasons, since I haven't been paying attention.

I guess all those schools around Richmond, Lynchburg and Roanoke have all quit playing football by now.

Reactions: Salemgal
One of the Dinwiddie posters was right, the narrative was written around Phoebus who, at the time, won an unprecedented 4 titles in a row in 5A and 7 in a decade. They were an unstoppable juggernaut in 5A so the thought of them going to 4A and later 3A made many sensible fans (this one included) think it was only inevitable that they would cruise and similar schools would have success. Salem as a program is one thing but the talent a good Tidewater school gets in a YEAR can be comparable to what Salem has given to the FBS in a decade or more (prior to realignment Salem only had 3 players ever play scholarship FBS football and they were spread out about once every 6 years) and talent, whether people like it or not, can drive a team a loooong way the further down the ladder you go. One quality FBS TB or QB can win 1A or 2A almost on their own and if they're moderately supported in 3A or 4A you can usually go to at least semis if not beyond. When you start having that talent everywhere and on both sides of the ball it evens out more but that talent isn't as frequently seen in SWVA as it is elsewhere. Dinwiddie and LT had just won state and had great success and then you had the results of the first two 4A title games be so lopsided only continued to drive the narrative and rightfully so at the time.

The 757 was always going to eventually have its hands full with NOVA as that area continues to grow (more people = more talent, simple as that) but seeing Salem and various 3A schools meet the challenges set in front of them has been great and I'm sure the East will have plenty of time in the spotlight going forward. The worst thing would have been for those theories to be true and the East continually dominate the state. I'm sure other 4A West teams will rise to the occasion going forward as well.

Seriously, I do think the performance in division 5 by Southeast Virginia schools before realignment had people deceived about how good football was in various parts of the state. 5A was artificially too easy in most of the state due to the way the VHSL used to determine divisions based on Region numbers instead of state numbers. With all the small schools in NOVA basically having given up football due to having to compete with the giant schools and the Central Region having 2A, 3A and 4A schools playing up so that all the good teams that would have been 5A were forced into 6A.

Here's a breakdown of what's happened since realignment:

Roanoke Area (8 titles - three in 4A, four in 3A, one in 2A)
Richmond Area (7 titles - five in 5A, 1 in 4A, 1 in 3A)
Lynchburg Area (5 titles - three in 2A, two in 1A)
NOVA (4 titles - all in 6A)
Shenandoah Valley (2 titles - both in 1A)
Southwest Virginia (2 titles - 1 in 2A, 1 in 1A)
Southeastern Virginia (2 titles - 1 in 6A, 1 in 4A)

I'm really not picking on anyone. I was firmly in the Phoebus will dominate 3A, Lake Taylor 4A, and Ocean Lakes or Oscar Smith in 6A, with the Bay Rivers small schools handling 2A and Franklin and Sussex in 1A. I also thought with Salem and Hampton in 5A there would be success there.

We were just wrong. The belief we had that the rest of the state was just going to lie down for the 757 was really showing we know very little about the character of the young men who play football anywhere.

To me, the real surprise is that no Loudoun County area teams have brought home a title (they are winning a crazy number in other sports). I also would have sworn a Fredericksburg area team would have one by now. Actually the whole crescent from the Northern Neck through Fredericksburg, Charlottesville, Augusta County and south through Lexington is vacant on titles.

Anyway, I don't think six years ago we would have guessed Westfield, L.C. Bird, Highland Springs, Salem, Magna Vista, Appomattox and Riverheads would have been the schools with multiple titles.

It's a great sport, it's loved everywhere and no part of the state has a monopoly on football genes or football genius. It's probably very good for our sport that all the titles didn't end up in just one place.

Reactions: Twan804
How much of an impact has Bishop Sullivan had on the public schools in the 757 area? I think things will only get worse for the public schools as time goes by. Bishop has become the top football program in the state, and I really don't know if anyone else is a close second.

Maroons1, you have hit on a good point, but everything is not perfect at BS. We know at least one player transferred at midseason. The stud players will not continue to flock there if not guaranteed playing time. I look for an academy type program coming to the 757 very soon.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Seriously, I do think the performance in division 5 by Southeast Virginia schools before realignment had people deceived about how good football was in various parts of the state. 5A was artificially too easy in most of the state due to the way the VHSL used to determine divisions based on Region numbers instead of state numbers. With all the small schools in NOVA basically having given up football due to having to compete with the giant schools and the Central Region having 2A, 3A and 4A schools playing up so that all the good teams that would have been 5A were forced into 6A.

Here's a breakdown of what's happened since realignment:

Roanoke Area (8 titles - three in 4A, four in 3A, one in 2A)
Richmond Area (7 titles - five in 5A, 1 in 4A, 1 in 3A)
Lynchburg Area (5 titles - three in 2A, two in 1A)
NOVA (4 titles - all in 6A)
Shenandoah Valley (2 titles - both in 1A)
Southwest Virginia (2 titles - 1 in 2A, 1 in 1A)
Southeastern Virginia (2 titles - 1 in 6A, 1 in 4A)

I'm really not picking on anyone. I was firmly in the Phoebus will dominate 3A, Lake Taylor 4A, and Ocean Lakes or Oscar Smith in 6A, with the Bay Rivers small schools handling 2A and Franklin and Sussex in 1A. I also thought with Salem and Hampton in 5A there would be success there.

We were just wrong. The belief we had that the rest of the state was just going to lie down for the 757 was really showing we know very little about the character of the young men who play football anywhere.

To me, the real surprise is that no Loudoun County area teams have brought home a title (they are winning a crazy number in other sports). I also would have sworn a Fredericksburg area team would have one by now. Actually the whole crescent from the Northern Neck through Fredericksburg, Charlottesville, Augusta County and south through Lexington is vacant on titles.

Anyway, I don't think six years ago we would have guessed Westfield, L.C. Bird, Highland Springs, Salem, Magna Vista, Appomattox and Riverheads would have been the schools with multiple titles.

It's a great sport, it's loved everywhere and no part of the state has a monopoly on football genes or football genius. It's probably very good for our sport that all the titles didn't end up in just one place.

How in the world can you say Augusta County has been vacant on titles, and next paragraph say surprised about Riverheads has multiple titles. Riverheads is in Augusta County. Buffalo Gap won a title no too long ago, and 3 other schools have been close

How much of an impact has Bishop Sullivan had on the public schools in the 757 area? I think things will only get worse for the public schools as time goes by. Bishop has become the top football program in the state, and I really don't know if anyone else is a close second.

It has had a big impact. 757 was down this year collectively. The schools that consistently perform are the ones getting transfers in 757 and to some degree in the 804. It just is what it is. I can't speak on the West but I do think it is more than likely the same.

It has had a big impact. 757 was down this year collectively. The schools that consistently perform are the ones getting transfers in 757 and to some degree in the 804. It just is what it is. I can't speak on the West but I do think it is more than likely the same.
Funny the BS impact on 757 and the future. As a point of reference there are quite a few parochial HS in my New Jersey. When I played eons ago in 1967-69 none in football were ranked statewide in the top 25. Now today, due to their recruiting they hold the majority of the top 10 HS football and have for the last 10 years. The talent has migrated from Public to Private. It may starting in this area.

Reactions: mbonape1
the State Championships since realignment. I really quit following VHSL football after that since it was going to be so uncompetitive. I remember it was going to be decades before anyone else won a title in the rest of the state. I just thought I'd check in today and congratulate the 757 on its 30 state championships over the past 5 seasons, since I haven't been paying attention.

I guess all those schools around Richmond, Lynchburg and Roanoke have all quit playing football by now.
Yawning2.jpg

Super corny!! No one said that, but obviously your hatred for the 757 is real.

Reactions: OCBoy and CavsGrad
How in the world can you say Augusta County has been vacant on titles, and next paragraph say surprised about Riverheads has multiple titles. Riverheads is in Augusta County. Buffalo Gap won a title no too long ago, and 3 other schools have been close
Must not realize that Augusta County is in the Shenandoah Valley, where he listed 2 titles and then said "vacant of titles" 2 paragraphs down.

Must not realize that Augusta County is in the Shenandoah Valley, where he listed 2 titles and then said "vacant of titles" 2 paragraphs down.
Just an oversight, guys. I can not only pick out every county and city on a blank Virginia map. I can name every high school in each locality. Stupid talent, but I have it. Not to mention and know every high school's mascot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT