ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst and Heritage

The ball isn't dead when it is touched it's when the refs blow the whistle. I know a lot of coaches teach picking the ball up and handing it to the officials for that reason. Definitely an abnormal play but well within the rules.

Reactions: wikki
I was a long snapper for a long time and was always taught to pick the ball up, simply touching it does not down it. Typically if the receiving team shows no interest in the ball after the kicking team just touches it, they will blow the play dead. If you watch, they will usually make sure that the receiving team isn't interested in it before blowing the whistle. This is a coaching issue, football 101 if you will. He should have taught the punt team to pick the ball up.

Reactions: MrSir#5
I was a long snapper for a long time and was always taught to pick the ball up, simply touching it does not down it. Typically if the receiving team shows no interest in the ball after the kicking team just touches it, they will blow the play dead. If you watch, they will usually make sure that the receiving team isn't interested in it before blowing the whistle. This is a coaching issue, football 101 if you will. He should have taught the punt team to pick the ball up.
Thanks for the clarification

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT