ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst Coach Resigns

Just saw it on their Facebook "Amherst Lancer Football". Big loss for Amherst County. He led a good program. Any idea on who's next?
Yes he resigned this morning with a very nice face book post. I knew it before the post came out.

Reactions: lyhsports
Yes he resigned this morning with a very nice face book post. I knew it before the post came out.

Good thing going on in Amherst, just hope the right decision is made in choosing another head coach. Gotta keep these area programs strong!

I know who should get it but I won’t post a name out of respect of his privacy. Very very good hire if he was to get it. (Grill master himself hint hint).

That would be nice, I don't think so though. After Him, I have no idea. It seems like an attractive position though. I think Cecil Phillips came from Kings Fork to take the Job at Amherst. So it could be anyone's job.

Do y’all think Woody would really leave Glass? Amherst is definitely a big time job. I’d place it up there with Salem, Pulaski, and GW Danville.

Woody said in an interview in September that he would only leave Glass for a college coaching position. He also said that he's not looking for anything and that he is fine at Glass.

Do y’all think Woody would really leave Glass? Amherst is definitely a big time job. I’d place it up there with Salem, Pulaski, and GW Danville.
I don't know DSH.The next 2 years could be rough for Amherst so that might keep Woody away.I would like Doug Smith or Chuck Poston but that's just my personal choice.Bradley would be ok also.

I don't know DSH.The next 2 years could be rough for Amherst so that might keep Woody away.I would like Doug Smith or Chuck Poston but that's just my personal choice.Bradley would be ok also.

Just curious. What makes you think that any of the big name coaches in this area would want to leave successful and improving programs to coach another school in the area? I doubt Bradley, Smith and Woody would leave their schools.

In terms of prestige, Amherst is definitely one of the most Prestigious football programs in the state, and I'm sure if they wait long enough, they'll land a really good coach. Amherst athletes have a great blend of size and speed, and if the personnel is used correctly, they are a state caliber team every year.
I agree lyhsports but its already May,how long can you wait?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Doug Smith I think would be the best fit at Amherst but I really doubt he would ever leave Appomattox. Just hope Curd makes a good decision with the county and players in mind. Used to be a time in Amherst you would have to walk from hardees. Last game I went to you could drive in and find a parking spot.

I agree lyhsports but its already May,how long can you wait?

Those thoughts crossed my mind also. Maybe they could hire a a currend assistant on an interim basis? I just hope they don't rush the decision because it is May, and hire someone that is not a good fit.

Doug Smith I think would be the best fit at Amherst but I really doubt he would ever leave Appomattox. Just hope Curd makes a good decision with the county and players in mind. Used to be a time in Amherst you would have to walk from hardees. Last game I went to you could drive in and find a parking spot.

I think Smith would be a good fit too... Hes not leaving Appo though.

Just curious. What makes you think that any of the big name coaches in this area would want to leave successful and improving programs to coach another school in the area? I doubt Bradley, Smith and Woody would leave their schools.
I didn't say they would but I was hoping..Appo talent isn't what it use to be,from what I've seen it will be rough for Appo in the coming years.I've seen Bradley floating around Amherst to often..I know nothing but you have to start at the top and work your way down.

I didn't say they would but I was hoping..Appo talent isn't what it use to be,from what I've seen it will be rough for Appo in the coming years.I've seen Bradley floating around Amherst to often..I know nothing but you have to start at the top and work your way down.

Gotcha. Yes Appo may be a little down, but Ill give them a year to reload. Coach Smith has a program there regardless of the talent. He'll develop the young ones well. Maybe Torrence would be a good fit at Amherst. That is, if he wants to leave that awesome defense at Heritage.

Woody said in an interview in September that he would only leave Glass for a college coaching position. He also said that he's not looking for anything and that he is fine at Glass.

It may be more tempting now to leave since he's lost a huge portion of his coaching staff to Flemming

It may be more tempting now to leave since he's lost a huge portion of his coaching staff to Flemming

He lost two really good coaches in Robertson and Lovelace, but Woody has replaced at least one of those guys. I think Burford takes over the defense. The staff is good at Glass.

I have heard that before and things change so who knows and remember it isn't always what you heard before

Last edited:
Everyone listens to rumors that is part of the talk on here. I never said it anyway just stated that things change
not trying to throw shade, I think your response was right on time. I just wanted to stop the rumors before they get started. I have already heard from several glass players that they heard woody was going to Amherst. And woody is not interested.

not trying to throw shade, I think your response was right on time. I just wanted to stop the rumors before they get started. I have already heard from several glass players that they heard woody was going to Amherst. And woody is not interested.
My initial post said wishful thinking. I would be really happy if they could pull a Bradley, Smith, or Woody, hell even Sharnus, away from their schools. No slight to their current programs just being hopeful that Amherst administration will get it right. The opening should draw a good number of winning coaches.

Someone also posted who they believe Amherst would want, no one should be so sure about that either

My initial post said wishful thinking. I would be really happy if they could pull a Bradley, Smith, or Woody, hell even Sharnus, away from their schools. No slight to their current programs just being hopeful that Amherst administration will get it right. The opening should draw a good number of winning coaches.
One of those names Amherst would not hire

I know who you are talking about wiki. It's gonna be a long month for the county waiting to find out what is going to happen. Even with the late hire it should be a large pool to pull from. "Wishful thinking" it would be a local coach to bring a winning tradition. So no players and fans don't get pissed off. It won't be Woody, Bradley, Smith or Scharnus. Wish they were in the running, but one could only hope.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT