ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst coach

Dan River doesn’t come close to having the athletes GW has. Dan River’s best team in school history (2016 team) lost to a practically GW JV team (this upcoming year’s seniors). Ferrell’s offense is predicated on giving the ball to his fastest players and pray that they find a hole and that’s usually a 5’6 tailback that’s 145 soak and wet. Ugly offense with no real passing threat. Works on the 2a level, but not so much on the 4a level. Gotta switch it up..When a team figures his offense out, that’s how they lose to 14 seeds and like athletic teams LOL! I do remember the tailbeating SD put on DR that year! DR had 2 NFL 1st rounders, a projected round 4-5 DE who plays at Cincinnati and a lineman who played D1 ball at Cornell. That’s how bad their playcalling and execution is! He’d have the athletes to run a more sophisticated offense at GW.

I think you are missing my question, what makes you think that he would change his offense if he were somewhere else? Not saying he would or wouldn't, but most coaches have something that they know better and that is what they run.

And of course he doesn't have the overall talent of a larger school, but certainly had a talent advantage over lots of 2a schools

I think you are missing my question, what makes you think that he would change his offense if he were somewhere else? Not saying he would or wouldn't, but most coaches have something that they know better and that is what they run.

And of course he doesn't have the overall talent of a larger school, but certainly had a talent advantage over lots of 2a schools
He’d have to change it at GW. Dan River has never had a QB which is why Ferrell runs that offense. It’s a bootleg I-formation offense. Just run run run and then chuck it up for grabs on 3rd and long. It’s nothing for DR’s QB to throw for 20 yards on 9 attempts.. If Dan River passes 9 times it’s a surprise... @Hampton Roads 6 will tell you. If Dan River had a QB and could run the spread, they’d have at least 3 state championships in the past 6 years. Ferrell would no doubt run the spread with a lot of read options if he was at GW. Just too many athletes to get the ball to.

He’d have to change it at GW. Dan River has never had a QB which is why Ferrell runs that offense. It’s a bootleg I-formation offense. Just run run run and then chuck it up for grabs on 3rd and long. It’s nothing for DR’s QB to throw for 20 yards on 9 attempts.. If Dan River passes 9 times it’s a surprise... @Hampton Roads 6 will tell you. If Dan River had a QB and could run the spread, they’d have at least 3 state championships in the past 6 years. Ferrell would no doubt run the spread with a lot of read options if he was at GW. Just too many athletes to get the ball to.

I dont know about other years, but I really wasnt that impressed that year. And you could very well be right, but it's not as easy as saying they would have to run this or that and they would be good at it. A great example is Riverheads, they wouldn't be nearly as good if running a spread. They are so good every year because of how they are coached, and Casto knows exactly how to coach what he knows.

You have said you know basketball way more than football. That would be like UVA trying to play man defense or Golden state playing inside out, or better yet Mike Dantoni changing up to being a defensive minded coach

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
they should have given Gary (Bootsie) Liggons a serious look. I never seen a coach fire up a bunch of kids like him
Coach Liggons has a cousin named Alonzo Matthews who is another great coach that has done awesome things in the community. He has been an asst. at W&L for a few years. Those two on the same staff would be pretty amazing

Reactions: wikki
Coach Liggons has a cousin named Alonzo Matthews who is another great coach that has done awesome things in the community. He has been an asst. at W&L for a few years. Those two on the same staff would be pretty amazing
Everybody wants Alonzo, after all he coached with one of the best at both high school and college level. He is still a mentor in the community for some young men. I think the school requires a teaching degree and don’t think he has it. I know him personally and he is awesome in more ways than one

Reactions: MrSir#5
Most schools will hire a none certified teacher "provisionally". But, asking someone to do what is necessary to become certified, AND coach football? Man, that would be a plate full.

Most schools will hire a none certified teacher "provisionally". But, asking someone to do what is necessary to become certified, AND coach football? Man, that would be a plate full.
But if that is what it is required I understand. Candidiates applying should know that as well. The players and fans would love Alonzo to get the job. I would also bet that Abel would highly recommend him as well. It is hard to fine someone with the history he has with Amherst and be the type person and coach he would be. He would also stay in my opinion instead of someone taking the job and leaving years later

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
But if that is what it is required I understand. Candidiates applying should know that as well. The players and fans would love Alonzo to get the job. I would also bet that Abel would highly recommend him as well. It is hard to fine someone with the history he has with Amherst and be the type person and coach he would be. He would also stay in my opinion instead of someone taking the job and leaving years later
yea I was hoping Alonzo would get the job when abell left he'd be awesome as a coach excellent person not just coach. Plus was in program at it high points he was amazing to watch back in the 90's an was part of the abell staff.

yea I was hoping Alonzo would get the job when abell left he'd be awesome as a coach excellent person not just coach. Plus was in program at it high points he was amazing to watch back in the 90's an was part of the abell staff.
Many feel the same way. The fans would be very happy with Zo

This is more dramatic than the Bachelor. Give the rose to somebody already geez.
I agree Mike this is ridiculous. There is no way that went smoothly, if so, one would have been announced already

Ba DS ba
I agree Mike this is ridiculous. There is no way that went smoothly, if so, one would have been announced already
What do you you expect this is the geniuses that passed on good coaches on abell's staff an hired Philips. How they ended with abell is beyond me

My guess is, it's going to be very underwhelming for Lancer fans. If it was a big time coach, they would've wanted to be in already. The ball was dropped or fumbled or something by the powers that be..imo.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
I hope so for you too, Wikki. But looking at the points for and points against in the last couple of years they didn't score much, and they gave up a fair amount of points.

2017 PF 222, PA 339
2016 PF 138, PA 230

2-8 record both years.

Not a lot to be optimistic about on the surface of it.

I hope so for you too, Wikki. But looking at the points for and points against in the last couple of years they didn't score much, and they gave up a fair amount of points.

2017 PF 222, PA 339
2016 PF 138, PA 230

2-8 record both years.

We can only hope and be positive. I hope the administrion made a good decision if not, Amherst fans are very vocal and will make their frustrations heard

Reactions: DinwiddieProud

2017 PF 222, PA 339
2016 PF 138, PA 230

2-8 record both years.

I don't know if these figures are true DP. In 2016 Amherst went 9-3 and lost to Dominion in the second round of the playoffs. I think the Lancers went 5-6 last year. Lost to GW in the first round.

We can only hope and be positive. I hope the administrion made a good decision if not, Amherst fans are very vocal and will make their frustrations heard

What was wrong with the offense? They seemed to put up a lot of points but gave up a good many too. In recent years their kickoff team gave up bad field position on several occasions. That hurt them multiple times.

I don't know if these figures are true DP. In 2016 Amherst went 9-3 and lost to Dominion in the second round of the playoffs. I think the Lancers went 5-6 last year. Lost to GW in the first round.
This is the record of the new coach's old team, via Max Preps.

I guess hiring someone from Georgia was why it took so long the get all of the paperwork straight? That would help explain the delay in making his hiring official.

Have you heard anything official yet about the championship games moving back to LU?

I guess hiring someone from Georgia was why it took so long the get all of the paperwork straight? That would help explain the delay in making his hiring official.

Have you heard anything official yet about the championship games moving back to LU?
That it was a good possibility

It's official Abell wasn'ta genius hire by Amherst it was a luck hire first philps now a offensive coordinator not actually a head coach. Hope he proves me wrong. But not likely.

It's official Abell wasn'ta genius hire by Amherst it was a luck hire first philps now a offensive coordinator not actually a head coach. Hope he proves me wrong. But not likely.
Just give him a chance. The guy has hopped around a lot so not sure either. Abell was successful at Liberty,

You right. Thought they would get it right this time. But nope. Don’t let them lie to you either. Big names in the area put in for it. They just didn’t want to come off he money.

You right. Thought they would get it right this time. But nope. Don’t let them lie to you either. Big names in the area put in for it. They just didn’t want to come off he money.
shows how much they care about the players and community.

Just saw on VHSL site it says 3A/4A games will be at Liberty on December 8th

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT