ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst County at Blacksburg

DanvilleSportsHead

VaPreps All District
Sep 24, 2014
North Danville, VA
I know that Dinwiddie and Salem will get the shine as game of the week and rightfully so! This one IMO will be just as good and will tell us a lot about Region D. Who do y'all have? Terry and Beck are no doubt one of the top offensive duos in all of 4a but after seeing Frank Ross and the Amherst receivers by committee, this one looks about as even as it gets. It's also about time to give Keshon Turner some credit. That young man can sling the ball! Lancers' o and d lines just too big and physical. Gimme the Lancers 35-21.

I'm with you mp. I'll probably go with the Bruins, but only because of the home field advantage. But it truly is a coin toss in my eyes.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Eh, home field really isn't a thing in HS to me. All the teams good enough to have you think of them as having a home field advantage are typically just as good on the road. Pretty much all HS teams are who they are no matter where they play. Even as a Salem fan there's never a game, at least in the regular season, where I'm glad we play it at home as opposed to on the road. Even for the POs it seems negligible and is more about not making multi-hour bus rides than anything else (an exception for me is this week's Salem game and again, it's about travel not because I see Salem Stadium or Dinwiddie's place as impossible to lose/win at). Hell, if anything teams tend to get up more to play @Salem and that's where quite a few of the small number of recent losses have come lately. But like I said, Salem is equally as good on the road so there's just no difference to me besides a small comfort and I just don't think that matters when the whistle blows.

Reactions: Tom Potter
Eh, home field really isn't a thing in HS to me. All the teams good enough to have you think of them as having a home field advantage are typically just as good on the road. Pretty much all HS teams are who they are no matter where they play. Even as a Salem fan there's never a game, at least in the regular season, where I'm glad we play it at home as opposed to on the road. Even for the POs it seems negligible and is more about not making multi-hour bus rides than anything else (an exception for me is this week's Salem game and again, it's about travel not because I see Salem Stadium or Dinwiddie's place as impossible to lose/win at). Hell, if anything teams tend to get up more to play @Salem and that's where quite a few of the small number of recent losses have come lately. But like I said, Salem is equally as good on the road so there's just no difference to me besides a small comfort and I just don't think that matters when the whistle blows.

I'll have to disagree here. If home field does have an advantage it's the close games, not the ones where there is a clear favorite. Also, while I dont think me as a fan has a bearing on the outcome, a lot of teams have different fan bases home and away, which in turn gives off a different atmosphere to kids. Not in a bad way at all, but Salem and other bigger schools with lots of success are spoiled by this as they have great fans and following where ever they go. I was reading on the Heritage and Appomattox that Heritage has really poor fans when away, even for such a big game, that's what I'm talking about.

And you said exception for this game with Salem and Dinwiddie, well the travel is a BIG part of home field to me, just as much as fans and being on your own turf (or grass for us small schools). A long trip can drain something out of you, which in turn can have an effect, meaning home field is a key

I know that Dinwiddie and Salem will get the shine as game of the week and rightfully so! This one IMO will be just as good and will tell us a lot about Region D. Who do y'all have? Terry and Beck are no doubt one of the top offensive duos in all of 4a but after seeing Frank Ross and the Amherst receivers by committee, this one looks about as even as it gets. It's also about time to give Keshon Turner some credit. That young man can sling the ball! Lancers' o and d lines just too big and physical. Gimme the Lancers 35-21.
Yes Turner can throw the ball

Home field kind of worries me too for Amherst. They just didn't play well on the road last year but hopefully that changes this year!
The only road loss was to the Bees in D OT and then against Dominion which they could have run but 5 turnovers. They actually played good on the road

The only road loss was to the Bees in D OT and then against Dominion which they could have run but 5 turnovers. They actually played good on the road
They struggled in the first half against Heritage if I remember correctly before winning. The Lancers will be alright! If they lose this game, I'd be surprised big time.

Reactions: 1bburgfan
I tend to agree, in fact, home filed can be a disadvantage sometimes. 3 of 4 losses for EC Glass last year came on their home field. Playing at home was definitely a disadvantage for Glass last year.

If Amherst can limit their turnovers and limit the big plays then, I think they win. Not sure by how much but I think they will win. If they turn the ball over and can't limit Blacksburg's big plays then, Amherst loses this one. Either way, it's a big game for both teams since they both already have a loss and both are in the Region of Death (Class 4 Region D) where it's very possible that a 3 loss, even a 2 loss team, may not make the playoffs.

Last edited:
Then you don't know how many are at a soccer match. .

Last edited:
I don't have a dog in this hunt so I'm not arguing either way. Just know Blacksburg has a great soccer program and is supported well. Attended a few soccer matches there. Just throwing that out there for what it's worth. Carry on....

I like Amherst as far as their line play and field conditions seem to be a little soft and sloppy with cool weather. Blacksburg can play in space and Terry and Beck more dangerous on the perimeter. I give Blacksburg an edge considering the tough loss last week to LB and don't see them overlooking a possible team they could see again. Bigger game for Amh who plays only 4A teams out of district.
BBurg 29 Amh 24

How many Blacksburg soccer games have you been to?

I been to atleast 15 in the last four years with my son playing against them and having friends that have kids that play for Blacksburg. Have seen around 300-350 fans at soccer games.

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully we can keep it up, and earn some more respect. I'm guessing we will have our hands full in Richlands next week. If we can get by them, Salem is the following week. We have not been competitive with them the past few years
I think you guys have everyone's respect, we just give y'all a hard time cause y'all are new to 4a lol! Y'all probably have one of the best set of skill guys in all of 4a. The Bruins will be tough to beat.

Reactions: JOrndorff
I really liked the way Blacksburg's offense matched up going into the game. I thought they could pile up yards and points. What is most surprising to me is how well Blacksburg defended Amherst. I'm curious to see what they did defensively to slow down that running game.

I really liked the way Blacksburg's offense matched up going into the game. I thought they could pile up yards and points. What is most surprising to me is how well Blacksburg defended Amherst. I'm curious to see what they did defensively to slow down that running game.
Honestly, Amherst doesn't play to the strength of their o-line IMO. They ran east-west quite a bit which played into the hands of Bburg's D. When they did run between the tackles, they usually picked up good yards.

We secretly dressed the soccer team last night ;),,Wikki , I asked some of ur admin if you were there , I wanted to meet Amherst's #1 fan

Reactions: wikki
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT