ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst - Louisa scrimmage

Not much to say. Lots of mixing and matching of personnel again with vanilla offenses, so it was hard for either team to get flowing, and it was Amherst's first scrimmage. They improved as it went on. The running game has potential and the players showed a ton of energy for their new coach. I wish more Amherst fans had come out to see that.

It was a pleasure to finally meet wikki, she's a sweetheart. And a thank you goes to her friends for hooking me up with a free pizza! They fed both teams after the scrimmage.

Last edited:
Reactions: wikki
Not much to say. Lots of mixing and matching of personnel again with vanilla offenses, so it was hard for either team to get flowing, and it was Amherst's first scrimmage. They improved as it went on. The running game has potential and the players showed a ton of energy for their new coach. I wish more Amherst fans had come out to see that.

It was a pleasure to finally meet wikki, she's a sweetheart. And a thank you goes to her friends for hooking me up with a free pizza! They fed both teams after the scrimmage.
Thanks so much, it was nice to meet you. I didn’t get to see much because I helped in concessions as you know. The crowd was good most of them stood up against the fence. I did get to have lunch with players and coaches prior to the game and that made my day. These players have been through so much this year even at the start of the year. Today the coaches really gave them a great speech that was hard and motivational as well. These players have stuck together and tonight they made a lot of noise on the sideline with their energy. They are young. I can promise you the discipline will be there because they didn’t have that last year. Good luck guys

Glad to hear of the progress. How about the highly touted, young LB from Louisa? Brandon Smith, I think. Did he play?

Did Brandon Smith play any offense? I know last year he lined up at TE a little. I understand if he stayed a one way player due to a lesser chance of getting injured.

He hasn't played any offense in preseason, but that doesn't mean he won't. Louisa hasn't even used any TEs yet, even though three of them return from last year.

Haven’t used any TE?!?! Sounds like they are moving away from the single wing then.
That would be a huge mistake with the returning size they have. I thought the lions showed some diversity last year with the read option and the occassional pass. They did a nice job of mixing things up. That damn rugby scrum with the qb popping out is hard to defend. I know they lost Bell and Whalen, but if it aint broke why fix it.

I will say, when you lose a player like Bell, but are still loaded with a bunch of new athletes, sooner or later you gotta get them the ball more. Offensive diversity shouldn't be much of an issue this year.

I rechecked and take it back, we have used a TE at times.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT