ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst question

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
Is this a make or break year for Coach Phillips? I'm not trying to start a thread trashing the coach, just asking a legitimate question that I think people may be wondering. After starting 25-3 with 2 championship appearances in '08-'09, Amherst has been 30-27 the last 5 years and missed the playoffs last year for the first time since '03. For a community that is used to great success, I'm thinking time may be running short if there isn't a decent turnaround this year. With new coaches in the district the last few years (Bradley, Christmas, Woody especially) I think it only adds to the pressure and also makes his job that much more difficult. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Far as I'm concerned his time should have already past. For the last 3 or 4 years all we have heard is wait till next near. An every year it's a flop. I'm sure if this year starts to go bad you'll hear wait till next year.

Reactions: mike salem
Yeah I hear you you #1, with a program that successful it would be difficult trying to stomach the last 2 years especially. In his defense, the last cycle's schedule was brutal and any coach would have had their work cut out for them to just get a winning record. I think the problem most fans struggle with is seeing chaos on the field, which you have described in previous posts. Wrong personnel on the field, difficulty with communicating play calls, turnovers caused by confusion, etc... these probably seem inexcusable considering year round practice and no significant reduction in the amount of available talent.

Right with you there Mike. The schedule has been brutal. Even though I haven't seen them in recent years, if you say the mismanagement is pretty obvious, I feel compelled to accept that evaluation. And you're right, it's unacceptable for a program like Amherst's to put that kind of product on the field, no matter what opponent they face. Hopefully, things change on 2015. Wikki doesn't deserve another season like the last few.

Growing up in Lynchburg I know Amherst to be a community that eats, sleeps, and breathes high school football, much like Salem. I haven't seen them since '11 against Northside, and even then they didn't look like the Amherst of old. The last 2 years were abysmal by anyone's standards but especially by Amherst standards. The chaos I was describing, Amherst #1 had cited as reasons to be even more disappointed with Amherst the last 2 years in particular. I saw some of that against Northside even a few years back, as Amherst fumbled the ball like 8x (they didn't lose them all) but it crippled their offense. They lost yardage on a lot of plays because of the fumbles. Really the fumbles go all the way back to the championship game against Broad Run in '09. They had a team capable of beating Broad Run that year, but they really ended up beating themselves. Is that the coaches fault or the players? I'm not going to put that all on the coaching staff, but successful well-coached teams don't usually have lots of turnovers. Some of the fumbles were because players were out of position for pitches in their tricky offense. They were playing sometimes as if they didn't have a good grasp of their own offense. The speed and talent still seemed to be there just too many mistakes. Those are just my observations maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like the problems haven't been solved and against good teams mistakes get you beat.

I guess what we need here is feedback from Wiki for the last few years. She sees every game and I trust her judgement and opinion. Let's see what she has to say.

I guess that's why I love my Blue Boys so much. They have real talent returning this year. Senior talent and will be dangerous. But they win more games by just executing fundamentals and not making mistakes more than anything else. You just don't see HS teams that go games without turnovers and no penalties. The Blueberries do it frequently.

Growing up in Lynchburg I know Amherst to be a community that eats, sleeps, and breathes high school football, much like Salem. I haven't seen them since '11 against Northside, and even then they didn't look like the Amherst of old. The last 2 years were abysmal by anyone's standards but especially by Amherst standards. The chaos I was describing, Amherst #1 had cited as reasons to be even more disappointed with Amherst the last 2 years in particular. I saw some of that against Northside even a few years back, as Amherst fumbled the ball like 8x (they didn't lose them all) but it crippled their offense. They lost yardage on a lot of plays because of the fumbles. Really the fumbles go all the way back to the championship game against Broad Run in '09. They had a team capable of beating Broad Run that year, but they really ended up beating themselves. Is that the coaches fault or the players? I'm not going to put that all on the coaching staff, but successful well-coached teams don't usually have lots of turnovers. Some of the fumbles were because players were out of position for pitches in their tricky offense. They were playing sometimes as if they didn't have a good grasp of their own offense. The speed and talent still seemed to be there just too many mistakes. Those are just my observations maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like the problems haven't been solved and against good teams mistakes get you beat.
Even before those years, Amherst was a fumbling team. I'm talking about 05-07 also. They were just careless with the ball, but had the talent to make up for it.

Yes they've always had issues with fumbles. With the style they play that can happen. The problem for quite a few years now is wrong personal on field wasted time outs because of that. I've seen them have wrong people on field waste a time out come out of the time out an still end up with wrong personal an confused.

If could understand that if teams young an issue accepted that the first year in saw it but that was 3 or 4 years ago an there still deer in headlights. To me that points to coaching.

Honestly at this point I'd be happy if it went to a game an even if they lost if they looked like they knew what there doing I'd be happy

Reactions: mike salem
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT