ADVERTISEMENT

Amherst/Salem Game

DSH is right, I think he's #6 Kishon Turner. He got injured in the 2nd half of last year. Pretty good dual threat, but his receivers and backs will be new to playing Varsity or have very little experience. Nearly all of the skill guys graduated.
Trevor Booker, Jerry Page, Derrick Spencer, Woodfolk, Octavious Jones, and John Collins... All gone. That's 90% + of how they beat Salem last year gone. Not saying that Amherst won't be good, but those young guys have to step it up fast.

Salem rolls.. works out a few jitters and kinks in the process.

Wins by 17-21pts

This is an interesting rivalry as both teams are traditionally strong and well respected. Amherst won last years game in a track meet and exposed some early Spartan weaknesses. Salem adjusted and as we all know went on a 13 game winning streak ending in a state title.

There are several significant differences between the 2016 and 2017 editions of these two teams and here are some points to ponder.

Salem:

1. Ramsey has returned to his defensive end spot. He will maintain the edge and will improve the Spartan pass rush.

2. Salem's defensive backs have matured and are a very capable unit. Mike, I agree with you on Luke Owen. I have looked at the State Final game numerous times and this young man did an exceptional job in coverage against the Dinwiddie receiving corp. Although, Pope did beat him a few times he displayed a ton of grit and played much bigger than his size. In fact, I thought he was Salem's MVP in the final.

3. Salem has a new guy under center, so I look for the Spartans to do what they do best and pound the rock up the middle against a young Lancer defense. I am sure they will take a few deep shots to Tucker especially if Amherst pushes up to play the run. Teams will either double Tucker or play off, so don't be surprised if Salem utilizes short passes in space or isolation type screens to get him in the game.

4. The loss of Fox (tackling machine) in the middle of the defense will hurt and the Spartan linebackers need time to gel. They are loaded on the d-line which will make the learning curve much easier.

Amherst:

1. DSH, already pointed it out, but I will re-emphasize it. The Lancer lost a ton of playmakers on offense and you just don't beat Salem without having guys who can stretch their defense. Amherst must combat Salem's ball possession by striking quickly.

2. Amherst had a very balanced attack last year. Even with a talented quarterback (dual threat) the Lancers must make Salem respect the run. Can they do that with new faces toting the mail.

3. The field position game will be key for the Lancers. If Salem scores the Lancers will have to drive the length of the field on each possession as the Spartan kicker, Nate Craft will likely put the ball in the end zone or out on each attempt. Amherst must make stops, force Salem to punt and take advantage of a short field.

4. Defensively, the Lancers must gamble. They will have to load the box and play 1 v. 1 on the outside. Run blitzes, sound linebacker play and sure tackling are a must. If the Lancers can force the Spartans to run east to west their chances improve, but more importantly they need to force a few turnovers.

With all this being said I honestly don't think the young and talented Lancers have the maturity to defeat the well oiled machine of Salem. The Lancers will struggle to stop the run and will wear down quickly. When you combine the power running game and one of the top defenses in Class 4 this season, I don't expect the Spartans to allow this game to move into warp speed; therefore, eliminating the Lancers only saving grace.

The Lancers play hard, but Salem wins this one in workmanlike fashion 35-7.

DSH is right, I think he's #6 Kishon Turner. He got injured in the 2nd half of last year. Pretty good dual threat, but his receivers and backs will be new to playing Varsity or have very little experience. Nearly all of the skill guys graduated.
IMO the Amherst offensive an defensive lines have been the strength of the team the past few years. That will probably be their strength again this year. Their Jv team hasn't had as many impressive athletes but has had a huge O and D line. It will be interesting to see who steps up at the skill positions other than Turner.

This is an interesting rivalry as both teams are traditionally strong and well respected. Amherst won last years game in a track meet and exposed some early Spartan weaknesses. Salem adjusted and as we all know went on a 13 game winning streak ending in a state title.

There are several significant differences between the 2016 and 2017 editions of these two teams and here are some points to ponder.

Salem:

1. Ramsey has returned to his defensive end spot. He will maintain the edge and will improve the Spartan pass rush.

2. Salem's defensive backs have matured and are a very capable unit. Mike, I agree with you on Luke Owen. I have looked at the State Final game numerous times and this young man did an exceptional job in coverage against the Dinwiddie receiving corp. Although, Pope did beat him a few times he displayed a ton of grit and played much bigger than his size. In fact, I thought he was Salem's MVP in the final.

3. Salem has a new guy under center, so I look for the Spartans to do what they do best and pound the rock up the middle against a young Lancer defense. I am sure they will take a few deep shots to Tucker especially if Amherst pushes up to play the run. Teams will either double Tucker or play off, so don't be surprised if Salem utilizes short passes in space or isolation type screens to get him in the game.

4. The loss of Fox (tackling machine) in the middle of the defense will hurt and the Spartan linebackers need time to gel. They are loaded on the d-line which will make the learning curve much easier.

Amherst:

1. DSH, already pointed it out, but I will re-emphasize it. The Lancer lost a ton of playmakers on offense and you just don't beat Salem without having guys who can stretch their defense. Amherst must combat Salem's ball possession by striking quickly.

2. Amherst had a very balanced attack last year. Even with a talented quarterback (dual threat) the Lancers must make Salem respect the run. Can they do that with new faces toting the mail.

3. The field position game will be key for the Lancers. If Salem scores the Lancers will have to drive the length of the field on each possession as the Spartan kicker, Nate Craft will likely put the ball in the end zone or out on each attempt. Amherst must make stops, force Salem to punt and take advantage of a short field.

4. Defensively, the Lancers must gamble. They will have to load the box and play 1 v. 1 on the outside. Run blitzes, sound linebacker play and sure tackling are a must. If the Lancers can force the Spartans to run east to west their chances improve, but more importantly they need to force a few turnovers.

With all this being said I honestly don't think the young and talented Lancers have the maturity to defeat the well oiled machine of Salem. The Lancers will struggle to stop the run and will wear down quickly. When you combine the power running game and one of the top defenses in Class 4 this season, I don't expect the Spartans to allow this game to move into warp speed; therefore, eliminating the Lancers only saving grace.

Excellent job. Thoughtful, well-considered analysis. We could use a little more of that round these parts.

Excellent job. Thoughtful, well-considered analysis. We could use a little more of that round these parts.
I am trying. I am not the most eloquent or grammatically correct poster, but I love to do research, watch film and present the facts without being a jerk. I respect the coaches and players who provide us with awesome entertainment on Friday nights. Besides its freaking football and I cant get enough of it. Lol....

Okay that is true, but as good as athletes people say that Amherst has all the time? Salem is good year after year, do they have a year with very little experience? No

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Okay that is true, but as good as athletes people say that Amherst has all the time? Salem is good year after year, do they have a year with very little experience? No
Just saying they'll be young or inexperienced on the Varsity level. They could still be very good especially with big linemen. Salem started 7 Sophomores in 2015 and won the title. I'm not drawing any conclusions on Amherst at this point, just saying they are a little younger than last year in the skill positions.

Me neither, but I respect what they have done and will likely continue to do. Lake Taylor and my Generals catch the same reaction down here. I guess it goes with the territory.

Whaaaa???? And here I thought you loved me! That hurt! Presently searching through drawers for pictures of a young, skinny Navy. Look for life size posters at the Salem/Dinwiddie game!:)

Trevor Booker, Jerry Page, Derrick Spencer, Woodfolk, Octavious Jones, and John Collins... All gone. That's 90% + of how they beat Salem last year gone. Not saying that Amherst won't be good, but those young guys have to step it up fast.
Spencer was so good against Salem the last two times they played.

Last edited:
Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead

Salem:

Amherst:

Good breakdown.

Salem also is going with the philosophy they have used a lot recently with the bigger and more experienced players on the right side of the OL. Cardwell, the right tackle from last year is at right guard and Mundy is at right tackle beside him. The left side is behind right now and is still trying to figure out who they want at left tackle. Ramsey looked so good last Friday on offense once he got into the flow of the game. Had a play where he broke 5-6 tackles and reversed field all the way for a huge gain for an example. Tae Hale is also a load at fullback rotating in with Ramsey. One of the biggest luxuries Salem has on offense is the quality receivers. Quinn and Wade are very good players that are really hard to handle if you try to scheme to take away Tucker.

On defense right now, Salem's LB play is something teams can and will attack. Losing Fox and losing a starting sophomore LB from last year is proving to be tough to replace. They also lost a junior from last year that started several games. Speaking of losing players, did Britton move somewhere or is he just not playing football?

Right now the left side of the Salem OL, the LBs and the QB are the least experienced units and the most vulnerable.

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Good breakdown.

Salem also is going with the philosophy they have used a lot recently with the bigger and more experienced players on the right side of the OL. Cardwell, the right tackle from last year is at right guard and Mundy is at right tackle beside him. The left side is behind right now and is still trying to figure out who they want at left tackle. Ramsey looked so good last Friday on offense once he got into the flow of the game. Had a play where he broke 5-6 tackles and reversed field all the way for a huge gain for an example. Tae Hale is also a load at fullback rotating in with Ramsey. One of the biggest luxuries Salem has on offense is the quality receivers. Quinn and Wade are very good players that are really hard to handle if you try to scheme to take away Tucker.

On defense right now, Salem's LB play is something teams can and will attack. Losing Fox and losing a starting sophomore LB from last year is proving to be tough to replace. They also lost a junior from last year that started several games. Speaking of losing players, did Britton move somewhere or is he just not playing football?

Right now the left side of the Salem OL, the LBs and the QB are the least experienced units and the most vulnerable.

Sorry Shabutie I cannot answer the question about Britton factually as I am a Dinwiddie fan. Some of the Salem guys could probably answer it. I think I remeber someone saying he may have transferred to Blue Ridge, but thats hearsay only.

I hope Coach Mills doesnt get word that I was mistaken for a Salem fan. Lord knows he would have me shot on the courthouse lawn for treason.☠

Reactions: SpartanForce
Whaaaa???? And here I thought you loved me! That hurt! Presently searching through drawers for pictures of a young, skinny Navy. Look for life size posters at the Salem/Dinwiddie game!:)
Please print those skinny pictures of me. Everybody in Dinwiddie thinks I have always been fat. Heck, yesterday DP accussed me of causing the eclipse. The only thing still skinny on me is my calves and ankles. I am thankful for that as it has always allowed me to escape from angry ladies. Lol.

Your pictures are your own doing. I saw them on facebook. A picture of the Dawg and his two favorite gals reading in your daughters room.

You guys forget what I do for a living!

Good breakdown.

Teams can attack the LB's, it doesn't mean they'll be successful!

Teams can attack the LB's, it doesn't mean they'll be successful!

Excellent point ClosetoSalem. Thats why I said in my post "the d line will provide the lb's an excellent learning curve". You have to get to the second level to hurt Salem in the running game and thats not even a given. Coach Mags will keep the lb schemes simple until they prove themselves or he could move a proven commodity (Ramsey) there if he has the depth at DE.

Just in case you are wondering about my suspect knowledge of the Salem program let me give you a hint. I took a page out of the New England Patriots playbook. High powered binoculars and a ghille suit works wonders when scouting an opponent.

Heck, Threeputt and Southbottom almost sat on me yesterday and Craft hit me in the head with a long field goal.

Reactions: SpartanForce

Salem:

Amherst:

Experience will be they key in my opinion with many of the seniors having been starters since they were sophs. on both sides of the ball. Close is as tough as they come and I think he may get some shots in the LB spot as well as on the ends.
I think the secondary will be fine but I would to see them not give up the occasional big play which they are prone to doing and could switch momentum.
Gladden will get confidence as he gets games under his belt and the protection holds up. He starts getting whacked regularly and he may start rushing or get the happy feet syndrome. It will be interesting to see How Tucker holds up as I saw he is on the defensive side as well which could affect him deeper into the game.
The kicking game is on point from what I can see with Craft keeping the touchbacks going that is a weapon in itself. Making a team go the length of the field every possession will wear on teams considerably. Very accurate on FGs and pats though we have yet to see a FG this year but I am sure he will have opportunity. Heck he kicked a 59 yarder in halftime warmups in the MV Benefit game that would have been good from 65 so Navy better keep his head down! lol
Punts will get better I hope as long as the blocking holds up..
Looking forward to see what this group can achieve this year!

Nice reply Panther. Craft is surely a weapon especially if Salem needs three points late in a close game. Last year against Monacan time was running out in the first half. A few buddies and I engaged in a debate about whether to kick a fg to put us up three scores or go for the juggler vein. Coach Mills had the confidence in Anspach to kick it and he made it. A good place kicking game is still a rarity in high school. Thankfully we both have the luxury.

I saw where the Craft kid won the kicking competition at JMU this summer against with some very stiff competition. I know there are some good kickers in Virginia, but Class 4 has some of the best.

I did some research and based on my findings and results from competitions here is my list of the top four kickers in Class 4.

1. Craft - Salem
2. Wise - Blacksburg
3. Anspach - Dinwiddie
4. Sidhu - Grafton

Jmu has offered wise full ride already (plus 3 others i think). Wise is also rated as a 5 star nationally. Rated as top 10-15 kickers/punters in the country.

Not denying his ability; however, each kicking (special team paid) service rank kids. Scout, rivals, and 247 do not have him ranked in the top 15. Where do you get your information from.

I realize he has the offers which confirms my statements about his ability. Obviously the coaches see the same. My observations are just that. I am no expert, so its just my opinion and I base my thoughts on pressure based competition. Craft out kicked them all this summer.

No disrespect to any of them. Heck, I am one of the only people on this board that gives these guys props. In fact, I wouldnt trade Anspach. He has worked hard this off season and will be a weapon for us this year. Good luck to all of the special team guys. Its a lonely unappreciated position

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT