ADVERTISEMENT

An idea about attendance when the time comes

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
We are all concerned about the question of who will be able to see football games when the season starts and of course we are already seeing what is happening with college and pro games. So I have an idea about high school games to throw out for discussion. It is either a semi-logical idea that could be considered or it is just plain stupid and you guys will not hurt my feelings if you say so.

Think about those thermometers that doctors are using now in their offices where they just shine a light or something on your forehead and take your temperature that way. It doesn't involve touching and it is done in a manner of a micro-second and they consider it good enough or accurate enough to let you in.

So would it be possible to have 5 or 6 medical professionals (paid of course by the school) on duty at each game and they would check temperatures as you approach the gate, even before you paid your admission. If you tested OK, you would be considered safe to attend the game but it you showed a possible high temperature, you might be asked to step aside for some questions or further testing and maybe denied access if it looked like you might have COVID.

The benefit to this would be that the schools should get close to their normal attendance and therefore not lose the megatons of money that they stand to lose if they have to severely limit attendance. Also it would make for a safer environment at the games. The drawback of course would be the extra expense of paying the people.

Of course such an idea would have to be statewide and maybe even mandated by the governor as part of the overall protection policies. You couldn't have it at some schools and not at others and it would have to be highly publicized instead of springing it on people unexpectedly.

So what do you guys think? Genius? or Should I stuff my mask down my own throat so I can't talk any more? Or maybe somewhere in between?

About a month ago I saw some photos from a game being played in Tennessee. They were taking temperatures with the device you referenced. I believe it may have been the principal who was doing that. Also, they were scanning pre-purchased tickets from folks' cell phones.

Thinking back over my own post, the idea could actually be utilized for any public gathering. Concerts, movies, etc. The main reason I think it could work is because it takes so little time. A second or two per person would do it. But such an idea would have to be part of an overall statewide or even national commitment and people would have to consider it one of those things being done for the greater good instead of looking at it as an invasion of privacy.

I think the only opposition to your idea would be that even if you don't have a temperature, you could potentially still be a carrier and able to spread covid. Of course, if everyone wore their mask while in attendance along with the temperature check, that would certainly reduce risk. And you could certainly limit the overall attendance and still have social distancing in place. At least that way more would be able to attend, enjoy football and other sports, and the school would still make some type of gate. I'm all for any ideas people have for spectators at any sport. I'm just not looking forward to cross country practice and meets in mid-February.

Reactions: WP02alum
You are correct about temperature not being the only indicator but yet it still seems to satisfy doctor's offices. You are also correct that social distancing and wearing masks would increase the safety factor at football games if people will just do it. I just hate the thought of a bunch of people crowding around a perimeter fence and trying to watch a game because they can't go in. To give an example that you and I are both familiar with, think of the field at Luray. There would be all kinds of options there for people to stand around outside and get at least a general idea of how the game is going. Now that I think about it, those people that live right at the south end of the Page endzone could suddenly become VERY popular at your games!

I could be wrong, it does happen, but I think I had read somewhere where that was already part of the equation to return.

And while I do get your point, there would seem to be a few big things that would stand out as compared to Dr. One, they are already expecting to see sick people and are equipped to deal with that. And the other huge disparity in number of people.

I think unless there is a big change (which is certainly possible and maybe even likely), no matter what the number that gets to attend will be mandated to wear masks.

Im not a mask man but if February I'll probably be wearing a gator of some kind for the cold weather. lol

Reactions: Bama1985
We do temp checks at work and wear masks, however neither precaution alerted us when almost 25 percent of our workforce tested positive.

Reactions: WP02alum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT