ADVERTISEMENT

And then there were 2

Who will win the CFP Championship?

• Georgia

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Alabama

Votes: 22 71.0%

• Total voters
I think these two are the best teams in the country, not by much, but still the best two. Could ucf or Ohio St. beat them? Well yes. Anything can happen in one game, but if it was best out of 7 I don't think so.

I think these two are the best teams in the country, not by much, but still the best two. Could ucf or Ohio St. beat them? Well yes. Anything can happen in one game, but if it was best out of 7 I don't think so.
That is true but aren't you just a little bit curious. Just for fun. Like a beifitt game.

Reactions: Shruikan
UCF has a better claim on a national championship this year than many P5 teams have on their disputed national championships several decades back. It's a sad state of affairs when an undefeated team that beat the team that beat the two finalists isn't even given consideration to be in the playoffs. The FBS is a broken system.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Yes the BCS is broken with a 4 team system allowing non conference champions in the playoffs. If they used only Conf. Champs, then Bama would not even be in it and the debate would probably be over Ohio State or someone else. Expand to 8 teams and allow the P5 champs, and any undefeated teams. If that does not fill the bracket then start at the top of the rankings and take them until the bracket is full.

The goal of the committee was to get the four best teams not necessarily conference champions. Teams in the same conference don't necessarily play the same conference schedule. I think the committee got it right. The only power five school cfu played during the season was Maryland. Sorry, their schedule wasn't good enough for consideration

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
UCF has a better claim on a national championship this year than many P5 teams have on their disputed national championships several decades back. It's a sad state of affairs when an undefeated team that beat the team that beat the two finalists isn't even given consideration to be in the playoffs. The FBS is a broken system.
They did not beat that team until the final four were picked. They needed to have played a much tougher out of conference schedule. They didn't. Because of that they weren't even ranked in the top 8. They would have been left out if the playoffs had been expanded.

Reactions: 97Srhs24095
They did not beat that team until the final four were picked. They needed to have played a much tougher out of conference schedule. They didn't. Because of that they weren't even ranked in the top 8. They would have been left out if the playoffs had been expanded.
I agree with you 100%.
It's always fun to dream even about things that will never happen. Kind of like what the results of the 2016 Staunton River vs. 2016 Salem. Because we known that will never happen. :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%.
It's always fun to dream even about things that will never happen. Kind of like what the results of the 2016 Staunton River vs. 2016 Salem. Because we known that will never happen. :rolleyes:
Same thing. One game who knows what would have happened. Best out of seven I think Salem wins. Salem's defense would have slowed down Sr. Don't think Sr defense slows down Salem. Salem beat Blacksburg badly and beat Byrd twice (both times at Byrd) SR lost to those teams

Same thing. One game who knows what would have happened. Best out of seven I think Salem wins. Salem's defense would have slowed down Sr. Don't think Sr defense slows down Salem. Salem beat Blacksburg badly and beat Byrd twice (both times at Byrd) SR lost to those teams
This team beats that team which means that team beats this team but they never played each another. Im so confused. Not a very solid argument because the game never happened and never will. It's always fun to dream and wounder.

This team beats that team which means that team beats this team but they never played each another. Im so confused. Not a very solid argument because the game never happened and never will. It's always fun to dream and wounder.
When they don't play all you have is comparative scores, the eye test, and what history teaches us. In this case history teaches us when it matters most don't bet against Salem.

I think the winner should have to play UCF.
UCF would lose to Bama , maybe beat Georgia with a perfect game. Come on man, Auburn didn’t show up, y’all have to understand Bama vs Auburn is like throw the records out . Bama will show up next Monday and prove they are the best team. If UCF wants to play for National championships they should schedule like the best do. Then we will see what they have done over a whole season. Just my 2 cents..

In order for a G5 team to make the playoffs they have to have scheduled the right teams years in advance with no way of knowing whether or not they'll still be good. If they have continued success, good P5 teams will just refuse to schedule them. The committee was a joke this year. UCF was absolutely a top 8 team and ranking 3-loss teams in front of them is an insult to the G5 as a whole; the only reason they weren't a top 10 team was because the committee didn't want to have to deal with the reality that they'd be forced to put UCF in the playoffs if a few teams in front of them won.

Houston last year was an anomaly. The only reason they had such a strong schedule was because of contractual obligations involving the complicated move to the ACC for Louisville.

I 100% agree that you need to have played a tough schedule in order to make it into the playoffs, because if that wasn't the case the regular season would be meaningless and no one would schedule tough OOC opponents. However, I don't think Alabama played a particularly hard schedule this year. They proved they belonged with the big win over Clemson, but still.

The playoffs absolutely need to go to eight as soon as possible.

If they go to eight they should do away with conference championship games. Under the current rules I think they got it right. I do not think cfu was better than Wisconsin, Ohio State, Southern Cal, or Penn St. . But that's me. I was not that impressed with what I saw. Auburn was unmotivated in that game. Also Auburn was not that good away from home

If they go to eight they should do away with conference championship games. Under the current rules I think they got it right. I do not think cfu was better than Wisconsin, Ohio State, Southern Cal, or Penn St. . But that's me. I was not that impressed with what I saw. Auburn was unmotivated in that game. Also Auburn was not that good away from home

Sort of unrelated, but would you also remove divisions from the conferences?

Well, it's not remotely as complicated as you make it. SR lost to two teams Salem beat (and in the case of Blacksburg last year, badly). I don't see SR moving the ball against Salem much, especially not the 2015 Salem. SR had issues when teams matched their physicality and Salem's had that in spades in recent years.

Just for fun, CalPreps says:

2015 Salem:

neutral field
[2015] Salem (VA) 44, [2015] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 21

neutral field
[2015] Salem (VA) 38, [2016] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 28

neutral field
[2015] Salem (VA) 38, [2017] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 31

2016 Salem:

neutral field
[2016] Salem (VA) 46, [2015] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 22

neutral field
[2016] Salem (VA) 40, [2016] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 31

neutral field
[2016] Salem (VA) 40, [2017] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 34

2017 Salem:

neutral field
[2017] Salem (VA) 44, [2015] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 21

neutral field
[2017] Salem (VA) 38, [2016] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 31

neutral field
[2017] Salem (VA) 38, [2017] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 31

Last edited:

Ok I'll bite. (Let me remind everyone we are talking about 2016 season.)Don't be so sure that Salem would have slowed that offense. Ask 2016 Hopewell (2017 state champs) CONGRATULATIONS by the way. The semi game score was 62-12 SR end of the third with our #2's playing there #1's the entire 4th except for one play. First Salem would have had to figure it out. By the time you do,than its to late. Didn't Salem 2017 win there playoff game with Blacksburg this year by one to pretty much the same Blacksburg team as there 2016 minus the some good lineman. Blacksburg also has who knows how many years experience against the single wing with playing Giles every year. + excellent Blacksburg coach. Also to adress the Bryd game that was the week of hurricane rains from the south and most of those games were either played on Saturday or most on Monday due to terrible field conditions. That discion was made by the home team coaching staff to play. It was either play or forfeit. Can't do that. (Great call on Byrds part) If you didn't have your shoes taped on they would have lost them. When your offense is set up on misdirection, fakes and pitches theres not much room for error. Just glade to get or of there without any injuries. That Salem, Byrd playoff game was very closely contested through the 4th. 24-Wouldn't say that was a dominant. Oh yeah and the kicker for the 2016 Salem team is(please correct me if I'm wrong) Ramsey didn't play. So with all that being said maybe that game is a little closer than you may think. *I do agree abour Staunton rivers D that year. Could ha e been a shoot out. But like I said we will never know but it sure is fun to dream.

Ok I'll bite. (Let me remind everyone we are talking about 2016 season.)Don't be so sure that Salem would have slowed that offense. Ask 2016 Hopewell (2017 state champs) CONGRATULATIONS by the way. The semi game score was 62-12 SR end of the third with our #2's playing there #1's the entire 4th except for one play. First Salem would have had to figure it out. By the time you do,than its to late. Didn't Salem 2017 win there playoff game with Blacksburg this year by one to pretty much the same Blacksburg team as there 2016 minus the some good lineman. Blacksburg also has who knows how many years experience against the single wing with playing Giles every year. + excellent Blacksburg coach. Also to adress the Bryd game that was the week of hurricane rains from the south and most of those games were either played on Saturday or most on Monday due to terrible field conditions. That discion was made by the home team coaching staff to play. It was either play or forfeit. Can't do that. (Great call on Byrds part) If you didn't have your shoes taped on they would have lost them. When your offense is set up on misdirection, fakes and pitches theres not much room for error. Just glade to get or of there without any injuries. That Salem, Byrd playoff game was very closely contested through the 4th. 24-Wouldn't say that was a dominant. Oh yeah and the kicker for the 2016 Salem team is(please correct me if I'm wrong) Ramsey didn't play. So with all that being said maybe that game is a little closer than you may think. *I do agree abour Staunton rivers D that year. Could ha e been a shoot out. But like I said we will never know but it sure is fun to dream.

Similar Blacksburg, far different Salem team. Even just between the two 2017 games it was a different Salem team (personnel-wise) to say nothing of stark differences between 2016 and 2017 Salem.

Salem is a fantastically disciplined team, it's a pillar of the program. They've played (and beaten) many misdirection offenses in recent years including Lake Taylor's twin veer (inverted veer?) and JF's Wishbone. Both of those teams came into their games against Salem unbeaten and averaging 50+ ppg. Neither passed 21.

You should really consider Salem winning state WITHOUT Ramsey in 2016 as speaking to just how strong Salem was last year, considering Ramsey ran rampant through the 4A playoffs and was wholly unstoppable.

Beating Salem has almost nothing to do with the O you run, especially a more gimmick O. The 6 losses Salem has in the last 4 years all came at the hands of teams who were more physical and dominated the lines, not because they ran an offense Salem couldn't stop.

Well, it's not remotely as complicated as you make it. SR lost to two teams Salem beat (and in the case of Blacksburg last year, badly). I don't see SR moving the ball against Salem much, especially not the 2015 Salem. SR had issues when teams matched their physicality and Salem's had that in spades in recent years.

Just for fun, CalPreps says:

2015 Salem:

neutral field
[2015] Salem (VA) 44, [2015] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 21

neutral field
[2015] Salem (VA) 38, [2016] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 28

neutral field
[2015] Salem (VA) 38, [2017] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 31

2016 Salem:

neutral field
[2016] Salem (VA) 46, [2015] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 22

neutral field
[2016] Salem (VA) 40, [2016] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 31

neutral field
[2016] Salem (VA) 40, [2017] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 34

2017 Salem:

neutral field
[2017] Salem (VA) 44, [2015] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 21

neutral field
[2017] Salem (VA) 38, [2016] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 31

neutral field
[2017] Salem (VA) 38, [2017] Staunton River (Moneta, VA) 31
My original post was referencing th 2016 seasons for both teams and if we averaged all the schools teams the score would probably be Salem 50+ SR 20. Plus I don't think that a 20-28 loss to Blacksburg was losing badly.

You sound like all the other teams in western Virginia the last four years. JF, GWDanville, Byrd, Northside, Charlottesville, etc , etc. They all feel they have something special for Salem, they all have a plan that's going to somehow make them different. Well you probably know what Mike Tyson said about having a plan "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth". In 2016 SR played two teams that played defense, they lost both games. Salem defense in 2016 better than both those teams.

My original post was referencing th 2016 seasons for both teams and if we averaged all the schools teams the score would probably be Salem 50+ SR 20. Plus I don't think that a 20-28 loss to Blacksburg was losing badly.

Was referring to how Salem beat Blacksburg (by 35 and it could have been way worse). You lost to a team by 8, Salem had a running clock at the kickoff of the 2nd half against that team.

SR had a good run these past few years and this is not the first time I've had discussions about how Salem vs SR would go but I think Salem is all sorts of wrong for what SR wants to do in a game and I think most of the times they would play would end poorly for SR.

Was referring to how Salem beat Blacksburg (by 35 and it could have been way worse). You lost to a team by 8, Salem had a running clock at the kickoff of the 2nd half against that team.

SR had a good run these past few years and this is not the first time I've had discussions about how Salem vs SR would go but I think Salem is all sorts of wrong for what SR wants to do in a game and I think most of the times they would play would end poorly for SR.
It doesn't sound like you like to give anyone credit but would you at least think it would have been fun to watch.

You sound like all the other teams in western Virginia the last four years. JF, GWDanville, Byrd, Northside, Charlottesville, etc , etc. They all feel they have something special for Salem, they all have a plan that's going to somehow make them different. Well you probably know what Mike Tyson said about having a plan "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth". In 2016 SR played two teams that played defense, they lost both games. Salem defense in 2016 better than both those teams.
I never once said on any of my posts SR would win. I just simply said it would be interesting and fun. I've always have had a great respect for the Salem program and you will never find any of my posts to the contrary. Everyone wounders what they could do against Goliath.

Last edited:
It doesn't sound like you like to give anyone credit but would you at least think it would have been fun to watch.

I mean, it is what it is. If you guys won state during this recent few years the discussion would be a bit different for me but you haven't been up to par in the biggest games and your defenses have been highly suspect.

I think there might be a chance a shootout could happen but if we're talking POs-Salem in 2016 I think they probably would have completely stifled your offense and probably held you to 17-20 points. Amherst beat Salem 42-40 in week 1 and nobody crossed 20 against Salem's starters again until the state finals and it took Dinwiddie 4 quarters to do so.

It's nothing against SR, it's like I said, Salem is not the type of team to be one-dimensional against, they're just too well coached. Salem can be caught slackjawed now and then but it's usually very early in the season and that's what SR would need to see Salem in because if we're talking POs I just don't see anything good coming out of it for SR.

I never once said on any of my posts SR would win. I just simply said it would be interesting and fun. I've always have had a great respect for the Salem program and you will never find any of my posts to the contrary. Everyone wounders what they could do against Goliath.
Will SR be able to maintain their momentum next year or is there going to be a drop off? When you wonder about that imaginary game with Salem remember the words of Jim. Croce" you don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off of the old lone ranger, and you don't mess around with Jim.

Reactions: hamspear
Will SR be able to maintain their momentum next year or is there going to be a drop off? When you wonder about that imaginary game with Salem remember the words of Jim. Croce" you don't tug on Superman's cape, you don't spit into the wind, you don't pull the mask off of the old lone ranger, and you don't mess around with Jim.
Probably not. But the future is bright. The last couple years have definitely been a special group of kids. They were great ambassadors for our community both on and off the field. I couldn't be more proud of them. They have definitely been great for our community and brought us together. Coach Poston and his staff are great coaches not only the football field but mentoring these young men to be successful off the field.

I have see some very positive changes in the program over the past several years. Changes not only at the high school level but down through the JV, middle school and recreation leagues. Teaching and running the same offense through all different levels. I think this is what Salem has done so well for many years but it takes a lot of time and dedication on many levels. I have heard many other Salem fans credit a lot of their sustained success to the "program and system" and being able to insert that " who's next". With Salem they will always be good and when good athletes come they will be great. That is sort of what believe has happened the last several years at SR.

Like I said I've had nothing but respect for Salem and their program. You will never see anything to the contrary in any of my posts. With that being said I don't understand the under tone of arrogance in your last comment. It should be an honor that others look to your program as the gold standard. People are going to natural going to compare their teams to the most successful ones.

Yes that Blacksburg loss to Salem was midway through there season and not not the first game like the Salem vs. Amherst game. The Blacksburg in 2016 was a completely different team the second half of the season. Coach made some great changes and the players didn't give up. A remarkable achievement.

Thank you for opinion and respect.

Probably not. But the future is bright. The last couple years have definitely been a special group of kids. They were great ambassadors for our community both on and off the field. I couldn't be more proud of them. They have definitely been great for our community and brought us together. Coach Poston and his staff are great coaches not only the football field but mentoring these young men to be successful off the field.

I have see some very positive changes in the program over the past several years. Changes not only at the high school level but down through the JV, middle school and recreation leagues. Teaching and running the same offense through all different levels. I think this is what Salem has done so well for many years but it takes a lot of time and dedication on many levels. I have heard many other Salem fans credit a lot of their sustained success to the "program and system" and being able to insert that " who's next". With Salem they will always be good and when good athletes come they will be great. That is sort of what believe has happened the last several years at SR.

Like I said I've had nothing but respect for Salem and their program. You will never see anything to the contrary in any of my posts. With that being said I don't understand the under tone of arrogance in your last comment. It should be an honor that others look to your program as the gold standard. People are going to natural going to compare their teams to the most successful ones.
It was just a great line, had to use it. I'm just a fan, whether I say an arrogant statement on occasion or not is irrelevant. There is no arrogance in the program.

SouthbottomU what is your honest opinion about the 2018 Spartins. Any inside good info. * So I can look really smart to my friends when we talk football. :D

SouthbottomU what is your honest opinion about the 2018 Spartins. Any inside good info. * So I can look really smart to my friends when we talk football. :D
Salem has to replace the entire secondary, all receivers, tailback and fullback. They should have an excellent QB, an excellent front 7 on defense, and three starting offensive linemen/tight end The JV team went 9-1 ( lost very close game to Franklin County). The freshman backs on the JV team showed great promise. So I expect a lot of sophomores to play. How quickly they develop will go a long way in determining how the season goes. So if you want to beat Salem you probably need to get them in the first six games or so. History tells us they will improve and be very dangerous in the playoffs. The rumor in Salem is that the 8th grade group has an extraordinary amount of talent. I think that Salem will be good next year but not as explosive as last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT