ADVERTISEMENT

Another question.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
Found out in Friday night in the game Amherst vs. Brookville that if it is pass interference, it is not an auto first down anymore. That is what the announcer said. Still 4th down as if the previous play never happened.

Wikki posted this on the 4a thread. Was this a change? Hasn't it always been this way? I'm thinking the announcer was incorrect?

Pass interference is no longer an automatic first down. This is the second or third year. Personally, I don't like it, but they didn't ask me.

The NFHS changed the rule a couple of years ago when they removed the loss of down provision of offensive pass interference. The logic being that pass interference was a harsh penalty, but by removing the loss of down, it was less harsh for the offense, so they removed the auto first down so it's not as harsh for the defense.

The only fouls that award an automatic first down include the word "roughing," as in roughing the passer, roughing the kicker, roughing the holder or rughing the snapper. All others are just 15 yards.

Last edited:
Pass Interference should be as harsh of penalty as possible. Rather than get burnt, some DBs intentionally commit PI. I think it should always be automatic first down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT