ADVERTISEMENT

Any news on Amherst coach. Nm

The article in the News and Advance made it seem like there were area coaches that would be interested "shaking up" the Seminole. I don't think a lot of head coaches in the Lynchburg area applied. Maybe a couple. Nothing I know. Just speculation.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
The article in the News and Advance made it seem like there were area coaches that would be interested "shaking up" the Seminole. I don't think a lot of head coaches in the Lynchburg area applied. Maybe a couple. Nothing I know. Just speculation.
Trust me there were a couple. Not enough notice either. I hope they don’t rush it but it seems like they might not have a choice.

I know nothing of this particular situation, but I do agree that it's mighty late in the year for an established coach to want to make a move. Not that it's unheard of, but not the typical scenario.

Having said that, I would certainly consider Amherst as a destination for a coach, not just a stepping stone. So there may be a coach that hadn't planned to make a move, but this is too good of an opportunity to pass up.

I guess we will know fairly soon?

You can say Amherst was a stepping stone for Abell...Maybe I'm wrong but a new Coach might want to leave everything as is for this year..Of course he can change some stuff but we might see the same offense as last season..Amherst doesn't have a cupcake schedule so it could get bad quick with a total change of philosophy.

You can say Amherst was a stepping stone for Abell...Maybe I'm wrong but a new Coach might want to leave everything as is for this year..Of course he can change some stuff but we might see the same offense as last season..Amherst doesn't have a cupcake schedule so it could get bad quick with a total change of philosophy.
I would think the logical thing is for them to promote from within.

Reactions: iskolinbckers
That is what Phillips did his first year, changed the offense they were used to and it wasn’t good in many peoples opinion.

But didn't Phillips call the offense? Is there a current coach on staff that could call the offense for this season if the new head coach wanted to run the same offense? That style offense isn't common so not anyone can step in and call it. A total change in philosophy might be the only option.

Reactions: wikki
Don't think this job drew the interest everyone expected, not sure if it's because it's late or what.
They got a good amount of applicants but not sure of who
But didn't Phillips call the offense? Is there a current coach on staff that could call the offense for this season if the new head coach wanted to run the same offense? That style offense isn't common so not anyone can step in and call it. A total change in philosophy might be the only option.
Whoever gets it might have to keep that offense for this year. Not many fans liked it. Too predictible. I hope the new coach will change it but give the players enough time to learn it. I know the assistance’s could do the job but may not want it. They are happy doing what they are doing. Several guys that were under Abel could do a great job. Two of them, the fans would love

Reactions: MrSir#5
I agree a change might be for the best

All fans love coaches until they don't win state every year. Good luck to the Lancers and whoever their new head man will be.
True but they have to be a players coach as well. I will support whoever they get but we will see. Fans can be brutal and I’ve seen at all schools

They got a good amount of applicants but not sure of who

Whoever gets it might have to keep that offense for this year. Not many fans liked it. Too predictible. I hope the new coach will change it but give the players enough time to learn it. I know the assistance’s could do the job but may not want it. They are happy doing what they are doing. Several guys that were under Abel could do a great job. Two of them, the fans would love
Very predictable. When you have 2-3 grown men up front you can student body left student body right. But with the graduation of good linemen. The offense and defense needs to cater to what athletes you have. Certain offenses can take smaller and less athletic linemen and make them look like superstars. True wing-t, and midline option out of the I and split back sets space the defense out with widesplits and eliminates the need for hat on hat blockers where Amherst' s linemen might be weaker this year. I know, I know... they might not have a qb to run this system yet, BUT it's on its way. From what I can tell salems LL teams run the same style offense that the varsity runs. I think this is one of the reasons Sale can reload so easy every year. The kids build on football knowledge of the system from year to year. They are not trying to learn different schemes as the move up in LL. Amherst county is stuck in a tough predicament right now and we hope the administration makes the right decision and hires a winning and proven coach.

Reactions: wikki
ADVERTISEMENT