ADVERTISEMENT

Any real surprises?

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Now that we are down to the final 8, are there any real suprises based on preseason predictions?
Salem v Blacksburg
Dinwiddie v Louisa
Lafayette v Kings Fork
Sherando v. Liberty

Here's a challenge put them in order of likely hood of winning title. Here's mine: Dinwiddie, Blacksburg, Salem, Louisa, Sherando, Lafayette, Kings Fork, Liberty

Last edited:
Lafayette plays Kings Fork.

This is the reason our boys still have a chip on their shoulder. I'm sure the OP made an honest mistake but the disrespect is real.

Moreso in the 757. Hell, the district. Coach Littles was "Co-COY" with the DC head coach. I understand he did a magnificent job with DC this year. But his team lost to Kings Fork, on their senior night at their house. Also lost to Oscar Smith, by a good amount. While Kings Fork wins the district and is the first district team to beat Smith since '06. In a year where the Smith defense was considered one of the best fielded in state history.

We beat Smithfield, handedly in the second half shutting them out.

It's fine. As Smithfield fans were leaving the game Friday they made sure our guys heard how bad Lafayette was going to beat us this week. We all just smiled.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Now that we are down to the final 8, are there any real suprises based on preseason predictions?
Salem v Blacksburg
Dinwiddie v Louisa
Lafayette v Kings Fork
Sherando v. Liberty

Here's a challenge put them in order of likely hood of winning title. Here's mine: Dinwiddie, Blacksburg, Salem, Louisa, Sherando, Lafayette, Kings Fork, Liberty
I think you gotta have Kings Fork in 2nd slot

This is the reason our boys still have a chip on their shoulder. I'm sure the OP made an honest mistake but the disrespect is real.

Moreso in the 757. Hell, the district. Coach Littles was "Co-COY" with the DC head coach. I understand he did a magnificent job with DC this year. But his team lost to Kings Fork, on their senior night at their house. Also lost to Oscar Smith, by a good amount. While Kings Fork wins the district and is the first district team to beat Smith since '06. In a year where the Smith defense was considered one of the best fielded in state history.

It's fine. As Smithfield fans were leaving the game Friday they made sure our guys heard how bad Lafayette was going to beat us this week. We all just smiled.
Why would Smithfield fans say that? We haven’t played Smithfield since week 2! I think it is a pretty even game, your great passing against our rushing with two excellent defenses. You beat Smithfield better than we did and we beat DC better than you did. A draw!

Reactions: ForksUp
Why would Smithfield fans say that? We haven’t played Smithfield since week 2! I think it is a pretty even game, your great passing against our rushing with two excellent defenses. You beat Smithfield better than we did and we beat DC better than you did. A draw!

I don't know. We allowed.their team to pass by first, as we usually do. Then our games went into the locker room. A couple of fans that straggled behind had to wait for our kids. They were certainly loud enough. Telling kids that the refs helped, how lucky they were, and the nugget on how bad we were gonna lose to Lafayette. I can say this, our guys heard. Not that they needed more motivation, but it didn't help.

I don't know. We allowed.their team to pass by first, as we usually do. Then our games went into the locker room. A couple of fans that straggled behind had to wait for our kids. They were certainly loud enough. Telling kids that the refs helped, how lucky they were, and the nugget on how bad we were gonna lose to Lafayette. I can say this, our guys heard. Not that they needed more motivation, but it didn't help.
Every county has their fair share of yahoo's. Just tell the players to smile and say thank you very much for that insight....enjoy that memory of the final score on your way home tonight.

Reactions: Lafayette

I am sure Smith's defense is good this year, but one of the best in state history? Or even in Smith history? Not taking anything away from their current defensive unit, but I would guess that Smith alone has had better defenses, especially the units led by Jerod Askew and Andrew Brown.

I'm with you except for "Smith defense was considered one of the best fielded in state history"

I am sure Smith's defense is good this year, but one of the best in state history? Or even in Smith history? Not taking anything away from their current defensive unit, but I would guess that Smith alone has had better defenses, especially the units led by Jerod Askew and Andrew Brown.

That was the folks who cover high school ball in the area and some folks who follow Smith have said. They had 5 shutouts in district play this year. Only allowed 20 points total in district play, before Kings put up 21 in 12 minutes on them.

I'm not from the area. Only really followed high school ball here a couple years. I wouldn't take that leap, I don't know enough to make that claim. It's just what I've heard, specifically heading into the KF/OS game

Reactions: CavsGrad
I'm not from the area. Only really followed high school ball here a couple years. I wouldn't take that leap, I don't know enough to make that claim. It's just what I've heard, specifically heading into the KF/OS game

Ok, you get a pass on that one. LOL I'm not sure they crack the top 10 in the state this year. They've had some talented defenses over the years, including a recent unit that included Josh Sweat and Andrew Brown, who were both ranked as two of the top defensive lineman prospects in the nation.

Ok, you get a pass on that one. LOL I'm not sure they crack the top 10 in the state this year. They've had some talented defenses over the years, including a recent unit that included Josh Sweat and Andrew Brown, who were both ranked as two of the top defensive lineman prospects in the nation.

This year they have Keshon Artis who is a VT commit a linebacker. The guy is a beast.

Also have Cam'ron Kelly who is a DB. Has offers from every major program in the country.

I think there is a dlineman also that is being recruited. Not to mention the other athletes that fill there 2 deep

This year they have Keshon Artis who is a VT commit a linebacker. The guy is a beast.

Also have Cam'ron Kelly who is a DB. Has offers from every major program in the country.

I think there is a dlineman also that is being recruited. Not to mention the other athletes that fill there 2 deep

They are definitely talented and deserving of their offers. Artis is physical and actually reminds me of Jerrod Askew who for Smith played about ten years ago.

As a state, we've been blessed to have a lot of highly recruited individuals and talented teams over at least the last 30 years (at all of levels), enough that I wouldn't have confidence in ranking them.

Reactions: ForksUp

Don't know the area, but there are reasons why Belichek and Meyer/Saban dont win every year. It seemed to me KF was a favorite to begin season, while I had never even heard of Deep Creek. Not saying KF coach shouldn't have won it, but it is more than black and white and wins

I think Liberty making it this far is a surprise based on preseason predictions for Region C. The dominant four teams were thought to be Sherando, Woodgrove, Dominion, and Millbrook, and to see only Sherando make it this far is surprising in my book.

I'm aware that Region C isn't the strongest by any means, but I don't think many people predicted that Liberty would still be around at this time of year.

Don't know the area, but there are reasons why Belichek and Meyer/Saban dont win every year. It seemed to me KF was a favorite to begin season, while I had never even heard of Deep Creek. Not saying KF coach shouldn't have won it, but it is more than black and white and wins

This year Kings Fork has had the best record in school history.

First district title in football, in school history

First win over Oscar Smith in school history

Best offense in school history (Although Coach Littles set that mark in his first season last year)

All this coming in his second season and after a 4-7 initial campaign with a first round playoff loss.

Coach Littles is no Saban. Kings Fork is no New England. We were picked to finish 5th/6th by local media folks.

Deep Creek has a history. They've been successful in the past. Their Coach isn't doing anything new there. That isn't not meant at all to take away from what he's done. He's changed the attitude of kids who are used to losing, expecting to lose.

I just don't get how Coach Littles didn't win outright. I know I have an obvious bias but the information above is all factual.

To my original point, it's the standard disrespect this team has gotten all year. The area would much prefer Deep Creek to be here rather than us, they are the darling because of their history. Even though we beat them in their house. Maybe because we're way out of the way, having to come 10 miles down RT 58 seems to be like driving to Cali some around here. I don't know. In the end it doesn't matter. Our boys are gonna keep playing with this chip on their shoulder. They are gonna continue to let the disrespect drive them. When you play Kings Fork you're playing the city of Suffolk at this point, same goes for Nanesmond River in 5A.

I'll chime in on the Smith Defense. I DO think this one of the best they've had. Where the other teams had a few very Top Tier Players, the talent drop off showed itself in those national & championship games. At times, some of the other players would get caught watching Andrew Brown or Josh Sweat!

But, without providing excuses, they were missing a couple of leaders against KF that were key contributors. In addition, I think they weren't utilizing some players in the correct positions. No doubt the Bulldogs performed well and did what they were supposed to do to get that win. Forksup knew where the weak points were & had a great game plan against them.

Against Cox, they certainly performed below their potential but the Falcons had put up a lot of points against every team this year and Smith did what they had to as well to win.

The Tiger's last game, against Ocean Lakes, their D came back to life with the necessary adjustments that Kings Fork had exposed. In fact, I'm quite surprised that more hasn't been mentioned that Smith held the Dolphins to Only 2 field goals despite turning the ball over 3 times in the 1st half!!!

Anyway, Kings Fork is for Real! I said earlier that if they could beat Smith, they should be expected to be playing in December.

This year Kings Fork has had the best record in school history.

First district title in football, in school history

First win over Oscar Smith in school history

Best offense in school history (Although Coach Littles set that mark in his first season last year)

All this coming in his second season and after a 4-7 initial campaign with a first round playoff loss.

Coach Littles is no Saban. Kings Fork is no New England. We were picked to finish 5th/6th by local media folks.

Deep Creek has a history. They've been successful in the past. Their Coach isn't doing anything new there. That isn't not meant at all to take away from what he's done. He's changed the attitude of kids who are used to losing, expecting to lose.

I just don't get how Coach Littles didn't win outright. I know I have an obvious bias but the information above is all factual.

To my original point, it's the standard disrespect this team has gotten all year. The area would much prefer Deep Creek to be here rather than us, they are the darling because of their history. Even though we beat them in their house. Maybe because we're way out of the way, having to come 10 miles down RT 58 seems to be like driving to Cali some around here. I don't know. In the end it doesn't matter. Our boys are gonna keep playing with this chip on their shoulder. They are gonna continue to let the disrespect drive them. When you play Kings Fork you're playing the city of Suffolk at this point, same goes for Nanesmond River in 5A.

Like I said I dont know. I remember Kings Fork being talked about, and 1st time I heard of Deep Creek was when I tried to give a top 10. They were undefeated so I just thought they should be there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT