ADVERTISEMENT

Any seasons cancelled this year?

ClarkeFan83

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 6, 2015
Berryville, VA
I remember Manassas Park and Park View only had JV schedules last season due to low participation. Will they be playing varsity this season? Anyone else hear if anyone is cancelling their season this year?

Waynesboro High School, despite being a 3-A school, is ONLY fielding a varsity team this year and even then, they reportedly only have about 23-25 kids out and most of those are freshmen and sophomores. I even heard that their starting quarterback broke a leg last week, which could even add to their troubles.

The only two that I've heard of is Bland County in 1A and private school Richmond Christian. I'm sure there are a lot of schools with low numbers, especially at the 1A and 2A levels.

Charles City has a limited schedule. Six or seven games. But CC has a dedicated, extremely hard working AD, so if anybody can bring a program back, he can.

Hanover, a pretty darn good Class 4 program, had to scratch their JV schedule last year. But, I've heard they are fielding a JV team this season.

Am I mistaken, or did I see something awhile back about Nelson County possibly having to cancel either their JV or Varsity season?

I wonder if any of the kids at Bland would try to play at a neighboring locality? I don't recall the specific VHSL rules, but I think I remember that this is permitted under certain circumstances. I'll have to do my research on this one.

Charles City has a limited schedule. Six or seven games. But CC has a dedicated, extremely hard working AD, so if anybody can bring a program back, he can.

Hanover, a pretty darn good Class 4 program, had to scratch their JV schedule last year. But, I've heard they are fielding a JV team this season.

Am I mistaken, or did I see something awhile back about Nelson County possibly having to cancel either their JV or Varsity season?

I wonder if any of the kids at Bland would try to play at a neighboring locality? I don't recall the specific VHSL rules, but I think I remember that this is permitted under certain circumstances. I'll have to do my research on this one.

I'm pretty sure Nelson has both, I think with low numbers though.

Bland had at least three that I know of that transferred because the Bears couldn't field a team, one to Graham, one to Rural Retreat, & one to Princeton.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Bland had at least three that I know of that transferred because the Bears couldn't field a team, one to Graham, one to Rural Retreat, & one to Princeton.
Did the kids actually re-enroll at those schools? I think there is a provision that allows them to stay at their own school but play for another school. But that has to be awkward for everybody.

They transferred, one at RR is having to sit out a year. Transfer to Graham, moved to Bluefield; Princeton was a 9th grader. I'm not aware of any VHSL rule that would allow them to stay at Bland but play football elsewhere but I could be wrong. That's a question for an expert

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT