ADVERTISEMENT

Any video from the state games

wikki

VaPreps All State
Oct 21, 2001
they always have a full game video of each state game, hope they have one this year

Don't bother watching the Blacksburg and SR about a 3 minute section missing in the late 4 quarter most exciting part of the game

Reactions: freeatlast2013
Don't bother watching the Blacksburg and SR about a 3 minute section missing in the late 4 quarter most exciting part of the game
Also not crazy about the announcers. I also like to hear the crowd and couldn't

Hopefully the City of Salem will put the Salem v Dinwiddie game on Youtube like they did for the LT game last year. Maybe BBurg will do the same.

I wish they would move the games to the schools , some stadiums are too large takes the fans out it.

I wish they would move the games to the schools , some stadiums are too large takes the fans out it.
When you are a player, the fans do not exist during the game. There is only the opponent. There is only the next play. There is only the next pitch. This defines winners.

Fans are no more than white noise. They like to think they're part of the game and therefore a part of the team. NOT! But they actually believe they are. Money. Money. Money.

True again. Money and Power. Money and Power. It is always the answer. PT Barnum had it right.

When you are a player, the fans do not exist during the game. There is only the opponent. There is only the next play. There is only the next pitch. This defines winners.

Fans are no more than white noise. They like to think they're part of the game and therefore a part of the team. NOT! But they actually believe they are. Money. Money. Money.

True again. Money and Power. Money and Power. It is always the answer. PT Barnum had it right.
Actually some players do enjoy the noise and the crowd. I have asked them and watch them on the sidelines. They stand up on the bleachers and face the crowd to get them involved and to cheer and make noise. Sorry Shauntclair but some actually do

Reactions: SpartanForce
Actually some players do enjoy the noise and the crowd. I have asked them and watch them on the sidelines. They stand up on the bleachers and face the crowd to get them involved and to cheer and make noise. Sorry Shauntclair but some actually do
I have seen that before a game. Can't deny it.

Real players do not hear this during a contest. They can't. If you've never stood at the plate in front of 20,000 in the bottom of the ninth and they're all booing you, you cannot understand. Real athletes know this at a very early age. Fans do not exist. White noise. That's it.

But I would never bypass the free good food. My College kids got bags and bags of it after every game. Thank you.

I never said the players care , stated it in several other post. But high school football should be played in a high school atmosphere. There was nothing wrong with the rotation from east to west year to year. I know on my end of the state the communities love their high school football , my opinion is for the people who love and support their kids. A state championship football game in the BEAUTIFUL RURAL GOD'S COUNTRY SMALL TOWN SOUTHWEST VA. has as much electricity as a night game in Lane Stadium.

I agree on how important Football is in SWVA. There are many other places that feel the same. Not only in this State, but in this Country.

GL to them all.

Real players do not hear this during a contest. They can't. If you've never stood at the plate in front of 20,000 in the bottom of the ninth and they're all booing you, you cannot understand. Real athletes know this at a very early age. Fans do not exist. White noise. That's it.

But I would never bypass the free good food. My College kids got bags and bags of it after every game. Thank you.
Noise in baseball doesn't matter. Noise in football matters, just not much at the high school level. It is a massive advantage in college football at big stadiums. The only sport where crowd noise actually makes a tangible difference.

Noise in baseball doesn't matter. Noise in football matters, just not much at the high school level. It is a massive advantage in college football at big stadiums. The only sport where crowd noise actually makes a tangible difference.
I,think this essentially shuts your door on football and athletic knowledge.

Have a good holiday.

I feel like it matters

I,think this essentially shuts your door on football and athletic knowledge.

Have a good holiday.
I played college football and you never played the sport at all. You are literally wrong about nearly everything you post. You have ideas that you think are right but then facts come and you always lose out.

I am talking about crowd noise specifically. Teams play a little bit better at home in baseball and basketball but more of that comes from not having to travel and being familiar with the venue. Ironically, in basketball you need to verbally communicate way more on defense than offense and if you are playing at home, that is where the crowd is the loudest... a bit counterintuitive. It matters in football because when it is very loud because the offensive line loses a step off the ball and that one step is very often the difference between winning or losing up front... especially in pass pro. There is a reason why ever defensive line that goes to the Seattle Seahawks becomes a better pass rusher at home. It also causes way more presnap penalties. If the offense has to go off a silent count or the OL has to react to the ball or even the defender it gives a massive advantage to the defense.

Last edited:
I feel like it matters
In high school football? Our team played in some games with massive crowds never really good loud enough to where we couldn't hear the snap. At least not consistently.

In high school football? Our team played in some games with massive crowds never really good loud enough to where we couldn't hear the snap. At least not consistently.
I'm talking about the crowd cheering for you and getting the players pumped up also. It matters

Reactions: close2salem
I'll chime in my two cents.
Experience: D1 football

Crowd has a minimal impact on the game, but it does have an impact but norm isn't crowds determining the contest. In the aspects that Wikki is talking about, those players who look for the crowd to pump up energy are normally the ones who aren't in the game. The sidelines are always more involved with the fans and crowd than the players because there's so many things a player who's playing has to worry about its rather irrational to believe the crowd matters. However there are times where a player on the field tries to amplify the crowd because there is a level of energy they feel is lacking or missing from the team, thus they need an external source to infuse it into the team. Shabutie --> the offensive line has the questionable nature, a disciplined line is not concerned about crowd noise and has little to no effect but an offensive line that struggles sees a lot of false starts. False starts are do to discipline you know the count and the defense doesn't, you already have an advantage.

So how many "real players" does a high school football team have on it? We all know most of the kids playing high school football will not be playing college football. So depending on your definition, many of the players will be affected, however minimally or majorly that might be, by crowd noise, band playing, etc. Maybe real athletes don't look to the stands and/or bench nor celebrate making a play, but I see a lot of high school players do both of these things. I assume the bench getting hyped up has no effect on the players on the field either?

If you mean kids do not hear crowd noise during the play, I would agree that the majority do not. If you mean it does not offer an advantage to one team or the other, I would agree that you are right except for rare cases. But between plays a raucous crowd or a blaring band can add energy and atmosphere and players from both teams will feed off of it. C'mon Man! Its one of the best parts of high school and college football.

its called the fridaynightlightzone occurs when the chip strap is snapped

I played college football and you never played the sport at all. You are literally wrong about nearly everything you post. You have ideas that you think are right but then facts come and you always lose out.

I am talking about crowd noise specifically. Teams play a little bit better at home in baseball and basketball but more of that comes from not having to travel and being familiar with the venue. Ironically, in basketball you need to verbally communicate way more on defense than offense and if you are playing at home, that is where the crowd is the loudest... a bit counterintuitive. It matters in football because when it is very loud because the offensive line loses a step off the ball and that one step is very often the difference between winning or losing up front... especially in pass pro. There is a reason why ever defensive line that goes to the Seattle Seahawks becomes a better pass rusher at home. It also causes way more presnap penalties. If the offense has to go off a silent count or the OL has to react to the ball or even the defender it gives a massive advantage to the defense.
I did play Football as a youth. Parks and Rec. My Elementary and HS's were private boy's school. No Football. I did get offers to play Baseball and Soccer in College. I did both. I played Minor League Baseball. I can say I played CenterField in a Brave game and Hank Aaron was in left. I could play the position but was simply never going to be the hitter I needed to be. even played Soccer against Pele. Yes, it was only a College All-Star game against the Cosmos but he did not score on me. He also did not take a shot but I prefer the "did not score on me" quote.

Woody Hayes did offer me a Football scholarship to OSU (I'm old) based on seeing an ultimate Frisbee tournament but I was still attending the Seminary in Douglaston, Queens at the time and was undecided on my future. I turned him down.

Crowds do not exist to players. They can't. Crowds are for fans. You must learn to live the moment. You must learn to live every play.

PT Barnum made millions off you ex HS Football players. Hell, it's Tammie Faye Baker or Jerry Falwell. Make money off the incredibly stupid. Also can't deny I did the same thing.

I'll chime in my two cents.
Experience: D1 football

Crowd has a minimal impact on the game, but it does have an impact but norm isn't crowds determining the contest. In the aspects that Wikki is talking about, those players who look for the crowd to pump up energy are normally the ones who aren't in the game. The sidelines are always more involved with the fans and crowd than the players because there's so many things a player who's playing has to worry about its rather irrational to believe the crowd matters. However there are times where a player on the field tries to amplify the crowd because there is a level of energy they feel is lacking or missing from the team, thus they need an external source to infuse it into the team. Shabutie --> the offensive line has the questionable nature, a disciplined line is not concerned about crowd noise and has little to no effect but an offensive line that struggles sees a lot of false starts. False starts are do to discipline you know the count and the defense doesn't, you already have an advantage.
I agree with this.

The false starts are not the biggest issue but they do still happen in huge levels even for NFL players at some of the loudest stadiums. The bigger issue is having to go off of a silent count for the offensive line and giving away a first step advantage that the OL usually have by knowing the snap count. When crowds are that loud, you can't go off of an audible snap count. Again, this only happens at places with very, very loud home fields... at least on a consistent basis. I'm talking about LSU, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Oregon, etc.

So how many "real players" does a high school football team have on it? We all know most of the kids playing high school football will not be playing college football. So depending on your definition, many of the players will be affected, however minimally or majorly that might be, by crowd noise, band playing, etc. Maybe real athletes don't look to the stands and/or bench nor celebrate making a play, but I see a lot of high school players do both of these things. I assume the bench getting hyped up has no effect on the players on the field either?

If you mean kids do not hear crowd noise during the play, I would agree that the majority do not. If you mean it does not offer an advantage to one team or the other, I would agree that you are right except for rare cases. But between plays a raucous crowd or a blaring band can add energy and atmosphere and players from both teams will feed off of it. C'mon Man! Its one of the best parts of high school and college football.
It is cool to play in for the players and fans for sure but it isn't really offering in advantage at this level one way or another.

The number of fans doesn't really determine the atmosphere either. In home games in high school I played in front of far more people than on the road but some of the road games were the loudest and had the best atmosphere.

It is cool to play in for the players and fans for sure but it isn't really offering in advantage at this level one way or another.

The number of fans doesn't really determine the atmosphere either. In home games in high school I played in front of far more people than on the road but some of the road games were the loudest and had the best atmosphere.
To put my minuscule two cents in, I've always enjoyed playing in front of the large and lively crowds. In high school the most people I've probably ever played in front of was probably 750 on JV when I played for Tunstall and that was when we went to Dan River, of course we got our tails whipped but it was fun lol. When I got up to Varsity I played for Carlisle School in Martinsville for one year and that was fun. Our whole school came to the football and basketball games. We had people painting up and a loud student section. I loved going on the road especially to our rival North Cross, LCA, Miller School in Charlottesville and the best high school student section I've played at, Fishburne in Waynesboro. It was probably 600 loud and screaming fans at North Cross. People boo'ing you during warm ups and when you're at the free throw line is a thing of beauty. What's even better is when you leave their gym with a W.

I have played in front of some big crowds. It does sort of turn to white-noise during the plays but the atmosphere and excitement with a huge ruckus crowd is second to none. Certainly can give you energy. Nothing like delivering a big hit and the crowd ooows AND ahhhhs.

Reactions: DRWildcatDad2018
Shauntclair, post some photos of you playing minor league baseball or playing against Pele, since you love to tell those stories. We'll wait right here. :D:rolleyes:
Honest request but this was the 70's. I got nothin' in respect to photographic evidence. Maybe some but I would have to dig and scan.

Not worth my time for someone who never was or will be. Hopefully, you will learn to deal with that some day. You cannot be me. Stop trying.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT