09/18
09/25
10/02
10/09 (H) Skyline
10/16
10/23 (A) James Wood
10/30 (H) Handley
11/06 (A) Sherando

That is a weak schedule - the only team on that schedule that is an average 4a team is Sherando. I do know that Millbrook is playing Woodgrove who will be better than any other team on their schedule.

Millbrook may be trying to build a program - not knocking them for that - I am just pointing out that their schedule is weak.

Sherando in 2013 was a very good team. Sherando in 2014 was an average 4a team and I believe the 2015 team at Sherando will be a lot more like the 2014 team than the 2013 team. With their schedule this year I see them finishing 6-4 or 7-3. You also have to remember that 4a includes teams like Lake Taylor, Monacan, Dinwiddie, etc. which a lot of the teams in 4a North cannot yet play with - which moves those 4a North teams that get bumped from the playoffs early (like Sherando did in 2014 - the only team they beat in the playoffs was James Wood and it was a gift for Sherando to get them- then they got smacked by Liberty in the next round) into the realm of average.

I'm not bashing Sherando - I have to been to a few of their games and I love the atmosphere. I also believe Sherando is very well coached - their coaches get the most out of the kids they have. I am just providing my honest opinion for the upcoming season.

Lol. Millbrook is trying to build a program I think. And Sherando is far from average.
millbrook has hardly ever been average. They are definitely a lower tier 4a team but every year is different. One never knows what will happen. Woodgrove and Sherando are definitely top tier quality in the West. Both will be a top ten team in the West this year.

Millbrook may be trying to build a program - not knocking them for that - I am just pointing out that their schedule is weak.

Sherando in 2013 was a very good team. Sherando in 2014 was an average 4a team and I believe the 2015 team at Sherando will be a lot more like the 2014 team than the 2013 team. With their schedule this year I see them finishing 6-4 or 7-3. You also have to remember that 4a includes teams like Lake Taylor, Monacan, Dinwiddie, etc. which a lot of the teams in 4a North cannot yet play with - which moves those 4a North teams that get bumped from the playoffs early (like Sherando did in 2014 - the only team they beat in the playoffs was James Wood and it was a gift for Sherando to get them- then they got smacked by Liberty in the next round) into the realm of average.

I'm not bashing Sherando - I have to been to a few of their games and I love the atmosphere. I also believe Sherando is very well coached - their coaches get the most out of the kids they have. I am just providing my honest opinion for the upcoming season.
In the last Decade, Sherando is 100 - 28, including Playoffs. Not a season under .500. Always in the Playoffs and in the Championship Final in 2013. Not too shabby for an average team.

In the last Decade, Sherando is 100 - 28, including Playoffs. Not a season under .500. Always in the Playoffs and in the Championship Final in 2013. Not too shabby for an average team.

Sherando has a GREAT PROGRAM - love what they do over there and they get the most out of what they got. And their teams in 2007 and and 2013 were above average - they were very good. And you can throw statistics out there on any team - the problem with statistics is that they can be very misleading. I am not calling out Sherando - even though this thread has grown as a result of me calling Sherando average - my argument is true of every team in 4A. You have to evaluate the product on the field in relation to the competition in 4A. How do teams in 4A stack up against the best in 4A - Lake Taylor? How did Sherando or any other team in 4A in 2014 stack up against Lake Taylor? That was all sorted out by the product on the field.

Too many people want to evaluate their team based on the competition in their area - but I believe to truly evaluate the quality of your team you have to evaluate it against the best in your classification. Anybody can evaluate themselves against less than average teams and call themselves a great team - but are they really that good?

I know people are going to fire back by saying that Lake Taylor dominated everybody on their schedule except Monacan - does that mean everyone else is average? My answer would be that until your team can close the gap against the best 4A has to offer - then my answer is YES - you are average. Evaluate yourself against the best to see where you stand - and don't make excuses. If you are the great team you claim to be then when Lake Taylor comes calling for a game - and they will call anyone because they are a great team - then answer the challenge and let your product do the talking on the field. And I can tell you that statistics are not going to do anything for you once the ball is kicked off. Until you are able to evaluate your team against the best - you are in the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality when evaluating your squad.

And I would just like to note that as a Northern Virginia resident I was rooting for Sherando in 2013 and Salem in 2014 - but I also believe in realistic evaluation.

Good luck to everybody in 2015 - I hope this is the year that the West closes the gap on the East.

So Sherando beats Salem in 13, the same team that
beat Woodgrove that year and last year , that's twice! But somehow in your formula that makes them average. Well I guess if Sherando is average then everyone is average in the Northwest. I get what your trying to say in the broad spectrum of 4A , but I dont believe the seperation is as large as you might think it is. Good luck to woodgrove, hope you dont get Salem again. By the way, speaking of " Spanking" Didn't Sherando just " Spank " Woodgrove your number one team in the Northwest just three weeks ago at there own 7x7 in Purcellville? Pretty sure that happened, I will confirm. Everyone knows that 7x7 isn't real football , but whats it say when Woodgrove cant beat a average talented team like Sherando in a 7x7 if Woodgrove is the best team in the northwest?

Sherando has a GREAT PROGRAM - love what they do over there and they get the most out of what they got. And their teams in 2007 and and 2013 were above average - they were very good. And you can throw statistics out there on any team - the problem with statistics is that they can be very misleading. I am not calling out Sherando - even though this thread has grown as a result of me calling Sherando average - my argument is true of every team in 4A. You have to evaluate the product on the field in relation to the competition in 4A. How do teams in 4A stack up against the best in 4A - Lake Taylor? How did Sherando or any other team in 4A in 2014 stack up against Lake Taylor? That was all sorted out by the product on the field.

Too many people want to evaluate their team based on the competition in their area - but I believe to truly evaluate the quality of your team you have to evaluate it against the best in your classification. Anybody can evaluate themselves against less than average teams and call themselves a great team - but are they really that good?

I know people are going to fire back by saying that Lake Taylor dominated everybody on their schedule except Monacan - does that mean everyone else is average? My answer would be that until your team can close the gap against the best 4A has to offer - then my answer is YES - you are average. Evaluate yourself against the best to see where you stand - and don't make excuses. If you are the great team you claim to be then when Lake Taylor comes calling for a game - and they will call anyone because they are a great team - then answer the challenge and let your product do the talking on the field. And I can tell you that statistics are not going to do anything for you once the ball is kicked off. Until you are able to evaluate your team against the best - you are in the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality when evaluating your squad.

And I would just like to note that as a Northern Virginia resident I was rooting for Sherando in 2013 and Salem in 2014 - but I also believe in realistic evaluation.

Good luck to everybody in 2015 - I hope this is the year that the West closes the gap on the East.

I understand what you WANT to say but the terms of your argument constitutes that if you don't win in all, you're just average. even though you said LT is a great team, By your own definition they're just better than average.

So Sherando beats Salem in 13, the same team that
beat Woodgrove that year and last year , that's twice! But somehow in your formula that makes them average. Well I guess if Sherando is average then everyone is average in the Northwest. I get what your trying to say in the broad spectrum of 4A , but I dont believe the seperation is as large as you might think it is. Good luck to woodgrove, hope you dont get Salem again. By the way, speaking of " Spanking" Didn't Sherando just " Spank " Woodgrove your number one team in the Northwest just three weeks ago at there own 7x7 in Purcellville? Pretty sure that happened, I will confirm. Everyone knows that 7x7 isn't real football , but whats it say when Woodgrove cant beat a average talented team like Sherando in a 7x7 if Woodgrove is the best team in the northwest?

First off - and I know you pointed this out - 7on7 is in no way an indicator of how things will play out on a Friday Night in the regular season. I've seen Team A lose to Team B in 7on7 and then Team A goes out and beats Team B by 50 points in the regular season.

I love the Warriors - I respect what they do as a program and hope they win every time they take the field unless for some reason they are playing my Falcons - which will not happen unless the teams agree to a home and home in the regular season as Briar Woods is now in 5A. My son graduated from Briar Woods in 2013, so the last two years I have had an opportunity to get out and see some other teams play when I don't travel to my son's college games or go see the Falcon's at home. I went to a few of Sherando's games in 2013 and loved the atmosphere and respected how well coached they were and how hard the kids played - that Sherando team in 2013 was far above average. I also attended a Sherando game last year and they were not the same quality of team they were in 2013 - I thought they were an average 4A team and expect a similar type of team from Sherando in 2015.

I guess my overarching point here is that a great program does not necessarily make you a great team. I think Sherando, Salem, Courtland, Lake Taylor, Dinwiddie - and there are others - all have great programs and find ways to win each and every year. But I do not believe that a great program necessarily equates into a great team. While having a great program is the most essential ingredient to a great team - there are many other ingredients that go into making a great team - great talent being a key ingredient. I think teams should be evaluated based on the product that is on the field - not their past success or reputation. Briar Woods in 2014 is an excellent example of this - they had been great but were an average 5A team last year.

Good luck to the Warriors this season - I will be at Arrowhead on September 4th to check them out against Martinsburg. I do believe that is a game the Warriors could win and doing so in impressive fashion would make meet eat my words on projecting them to be an average team.

I understand what you WANT to say but the terms of your argument constitutes that if you don't win in all, you're just average. even though you said LT is a great team, By your own definition they're just better than average.

I never offered a definition for a great team, a very good team, an average team, etc. because all of those labels are subjective - and to universally define the subjective is not something I believe can be done. What I did offer is an explanation of how I evaluate teams and assign them the aforementioned labels based on my personal evaluation because others challenged my description of their team as average. I might have prodded some into using my logic in evaluating their team in order to gain a more realistic perspective in labeling their team - but they can feel free to evaluate their team and label them however they like.

I did not want to start a philosophical debate or argue the semantics of what is typed on these boards - doing so detracts from discussing football.

I never offered a definition for a great team, a very good team, an average team, etc. because all of those labels are subjective - and to universally define the subjective is not something I believe can be done. What I did offer is an explanation of how I evaluate teams and assign them the aforementioned labels based on my personal evaluation because others challenged my description of their team as average. I might have prodded some into using my logic in evaluating their team in order to gain a more realistic perspective in labeling their team - but they can feel free to evaluate their team and label them however they like.

I did not want to start a philosophical debate or argue the semantics of what is typed on these boards - doing so detracts from discussing football.
You did offer a very real definition of an average team. If you can't win it all, you're average. That's your definition. That's what you said and defended that position. You're entitled to your opinion. I won't debate it any longer.

I certainly do appreciate your many points of view concerning objective evaluations and agree. Most posters here are fans and don't go that route. Schedules are vitally important in retaining perspective. Powhatan used to dominate the SouthSide and didn't lose a regular season game in a decade. The Indians are not the same in the Jefferson. MillBrook plays in the weakest 4A District in the State and they're still not good. Even Salem can practically coast every year where they only play one or two games a season that even have a remote capability of testing them. Result. High seed. Home field. The Spartans are going to almost always get to round three. But come playoff time, I would certainly rather play a game against a 9 - 1 team with a weak schedule than a 7 - 3 team with a hard one.

What I have learned is that you cannot underestimate a team with a weak schedule. When they are winning by huge margins and taking care of business every week, don't discount they're not the real deal. Good teams can come from unexpected places. Your own briar woods first Championship was one of those.

Regardless, GL and enjoy 2015.

8/28 @Jefferson (Toss Up - Jefferson)
9/4 Hedgesville (Win)
9/11 @Clarke County (Toss Up -Millbrook)
9/18 @Kettle Run (Toss Up - Millbrook)
9/25 Woodgrove (Loss)
10/2 Rock Ridge (Toss Up - Millbrook)
10/9 Skyline (Toss Up - Millrbook)
10/16 BYE
10/23 @ James Wood (Toss Up - Millbrook)
10/30 John Handley (Toss Up - Millbrook)
11/6 @ Sherando (Loss)

What do you think Hamspear - am I close? If so - Millbrook could finish around 7-3. That would be a year great for the Millbrook program.

A couple of questions for you Hamspear:
1. Will Jefferson field another solid team next year?
2. I know Clarke County is 2A but I see them trouncing teams - can they compete with Millbrook?
3. Do you believe Kettle Run will fall off as much as I do and Millbrook could win this game?
4. Is Skyline going to compete this year?
5. Is James Wood going to be any better than last year?
6. Is Handley going to be as bad as my friend in Winchester clalims?

You did offer a very real definition of an average team. If you can't win it all, you're average. That's your definition. That's what you said and defended that position. You're entitled to your opinion. I won't debate it any longer.

I certainly do appreciate your many points of view concerning objective evaluations and agree. Most posters here are fans and don't go that route. Schedules are vitally important in retaining perspective. Powhatan used to dominate the SouthSide and didn't lose a regular season game in a decade. The Indians are not the same in the Jefferson. MillBrook plays in the weakest 4A District in the State and they're still not good. Even Salem can practically coast every year where they only play one or two games a season that even have a remote capability of testing them. Result. High seed. Home field. The Spartans are going to almost always get to round three. But come playoff time, I would certainly rather play a game against a 9 - 1 team with a weak schedule than a 7 - 3 team with a hard one.

What I have learned is that you cannot underestimate a team with a weak schedule. When they are winning by huge margins and taking care of business every week, don't discount they're not the real deal. Good teams can come from unexpected places. Your own briar woods first Championship was one of those.

Regardless, GL and enjoy 2015.

I agree with you summary - and I think schedules go back to my main point - you have to evaluate the actual product on the field regardless of schedule.

I know you follow Courtland - do you think they can compete in 4A East come playoff time?

I agree with you summary - and I think schedules go back to my main point - you have to evaluate the actual product on the field regardless of schedule.

I know you follow Courtland - do you think they can compete in 4A East come playoff time?
I did accept your point. The opinion of average, I disagreed with but that is not longer in debate. Your opinion is as good as mine.

Gone in round 3 in the East. The Cougars are far too predictable and won't put their DI's into space where they can use their Athleticism. That and the loss of DC Doc Hall put's them at a clear disadvantage against the Tidewater teams they will face in the later rounds.

9/4 Hedgesville (Win)
9/25 Woodgrove (Loss)
10/16 BYE
11/6 @ Sherando (Loss)

What do you think Hamspear - am I close? If so - Millbrook could finish around 7-3. That would be a year great for the Millbrook program.

2. I know Clarke County is 2A but I see them trouncing teams - can they compete with Millbrook?
3. Do you believe Kettle Run will fall off as much as I do and Millbrook could win this game?

wow! just wow!

wow! just wow!

My prediction is based on optimism that leans in favor of the Pioneers - but with that schedule it's possible. I think 5-5 is more likely and i concede that 3-7 is just as likely as 7-3. But the product will determine the outcome.

Anything is possible and every year is different. In this aspect, you are correct. It's most often about not how good you are. It's how good is the other guy.

I don't think Millbrook is that bad, they have a D1 running back and several D1 athletes in other sports playing on the team. They will compete. the coach hasn't been there to long , so I will give him a opportunity to build a program before judging. the longer I am around these teams the more value I put into coaching and not just the head coach. Millbrook will be fine. as will Handley , JW, and Skyline will be solid, and
My beloved Warriors should be just a tad better than Average this year. We will see who is average soon enough.

I don't think Millbrook is that bad, they have a D1 running back and several D1 athletes in other sports playing on the team. They will compete. the coach hasn't been there to long , so I will give him a opportunity to build a program before judging. the longer I am around these teams the more value I put into coaching and not just the head coach. Millbrook will be fine. as will Handley , JW, and Skyline will be solid, and
My beloved Warriors should be just a tad better than Average this year. We will see who is average soon enough.
Nice to be PC Hammie but you know damn well the Warriors will be head and shoulders above the District opponents. GL in 2015. Yeah, I think they'll be above average.

Nice to be PC Hammie but you know damn well the Warriors will be head and shoulders above the District opponents. GL in 2015. Yeah, I think they'll be above average.

Yeah I agree. They will mow through there district schedule.

9/4 Hedgesville (Win)
9/25 Woodgrove (Loss)
10/16 BYE
11/6 @ Sherando (Loss)

sorry I missed these questions.
Answers: just my opinion.
1. I don't have the inside scoop on Jefferson, not really sure. But the feeling I have is they will have opportunities to improve as usual. My view of Jefferson is that they will never be that great in Football for two reasons. it's a baseball town. The best football players go to play at Martinsburg for exposure.
2.Clarke County could certainly beat Millbrook, and also Handley maybe Trouncing highly unlikely, but they do run the ball well. But the lack of a modern passing game will hurt them against 4A teams. CC21 MB24. CC28JH 21. Just a guess.
3. Kettle Run might have some work ahead of them this year , new coach in place not sure if that means a new system or not. Either way I see growing pains in the next few years for them. but they always have quality athletes so you never know, they could surprise.
4. Skyline will always be competitive in 3A, because they have a solid coaching staff in place. the problem is because of unfair district placement they have a tough schedule in the regular season. so you never know just how good they really are until they play 3A teams in the playoffs. I don't know what they will look like this year, if I had to guess I would say 6-4 or 7-3.
5. James wood-NO
6. Handley -I don't know how bad your friend said they would be , but it's a nice place to watch a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT