ADVERTISEMENT

Appo/Giles

AdvocateOfMany434

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 13, 2015
757 Area
Let me be the first to say it.

This one scares me a bit. In previous years....We have always played 2 or 3 single, Double, O Wing type Os. This year we did not play one and this D is not the same as the past. We have a lot of new players that have not played on the varsity level until this year. Facing this type of O for first time is going to shock them a little bit in beginning. I know we have great coaches and I call Coach Castello the Single Wing Killa! He knows exactly how to stop it but he cant play for the kids to do it.

Must I remind you of the Union/Clarke County semi final game of 2015? union was so unprepared for that Wing. Clarke looked like they was playing Union's JV team.

I hope Appomattox Administration does the right thing about the horn after last years issue.

Reactions: Boathead

This one scares me a bit. In previous years....We have always played 2 or 3 single, Double, O Wing type Os. This year we did not play one and this D is not the same as the past. We have a lot of new players that have not played on the varsity level until this year. Facing this type of O for first time is going to shock them a little bit in beginning. I know we have great coaches and I call Coach Castello the Single Wing Killa! He knows exactly how to stop it but he cant play for the kids to do it.

Must I remind you of the Union/Clarke County semi final game of 2015? union was so unprepared for that Wing. Clarke looked like they was playing Union's JV team.

I hope Appomattox Administration does the right thing about the horn after last years issue.

I expect this to be a high scoring affair. Giles has its own issues on defense. We can't afford to be "sluggish" against Appo. They're too damned fast.

I expect this to be a high scoring affair. Giles has its own issues on defense. We can't afford to be "sluggish" against Appo. They're too damned fast.
I have no doubt our O will score, but can our D hold yalls O? I think its going to be high scoring as well. Unfortunately...I have to work next weekend and I would be coming in for this one if I didnt.

I have no doubt our O will score, but can our D hold yalls O? I think its going to be high scoring as well. Unfortunately...I have to work next weekend and I would be coming in for this one if I didnt.
I'm still on the fence about going. If it's Saturday, I'll be there. It's a far drive for me to make it on Friday. Central-Lee may be more doable for me, regarding travel time.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
Watched the Appo game last nite and have to say I didn't think they played all the good last nite , it was the first real cold game , lots of penalties, fumbles most came late with subs , 12 men on the field on defense that gave up a 1st down , getting to the time of the season when you can't make any mistakes ,it will cost you at some point , so with all that they still won and put 49 points on the board against a martinsville team that was just not very good . Not suppose to be near as cold next Friday so I expect all of that will be corrected and you will see the real raiders play , look out Giles the parandas are coming and they won't stop coming at you , Appo will get there 50 just how many will Giles get is the question !!

Let' leave the horn out of this conversation this week, nobody cares about it. I agree there could be some points scored in the game. I have said it all year, Giles is just not very good on defense. It will really show against a team like Appo. I think everything would have to go perfect for Giles to win the game but I think the boys are looking forward to the challenge. I do think Giles will put up some points, just don' know if will be enough. Hear pretty good chance of rain on Friday, I hope not.

Let' leave the horn out of this conversation this week, nobody cares about it. I agree there could be some points scored in the game. I have said it all year, Giles is just not very good on defense. It will really show against a team like Appo. I think everything would have to go perfect for Giles to win the game but I think the boys are looking forward to the challenge. I do think Giles will put up some points, just don' know if will be enough. Hear pretty good chance of rain on Friday, I hope not.
I would think Giles would love for it to rain.....slow down Appo’s speed and not hurt your running game. Surprised to hear you hope it doesn’t rain.

50!!!! Wow, I laugh at every post you guys make. Not saying you won't score 50 but everytime you don't it's because you play like crap. Has nothing to do with the other team. I do think your them team to beat and think you can win it all again. That being said I don't think appo has played a hard schedule at all and I think Giles has a chance. Just my take

Reactions: Mayberryite
From the Roanoke Times yesterday

Giles football coach Jeff Williams needs a calculator when it comes to Ryan Beidleman.

The 6-foot, 160-pound Giles senior has accomplished the following so far in 2017:

• He broke Giles’ 10-game single-season rushing record with 2,080 yards.
  • He broke the school’s career record for interceptions with 19.
  • He is Giles’ leading tackler.
  • He has completed eight passes for 215 yards.
  • He punts for a 33.7-yard average.
  • He ran for 215 yards in the season opener against Blacksburg and returned an interception 94 yards for a touchdown in a victory over Narrows.
  • In a game at Glenvar, he took back a missed field goal 70 yards to set up a TD, made 17 tackles, dropped a coffin-corner punt inside the 20 and iced the game with a pickoff in the end zone as the Spartans (9-1) took the Three Rivers District championship.
Biedleman had 282 yards and 3 touchdowns against Fort Chiswell last night.

I would think Giles would love for it to rain.....slow down Appo’s speed and not hurt your running game. Surprised to hear you hope it doesn’t rain.
A wet sloppy field kills blocking with our scheme. If lineman can not get thier footing with pulls and traps it' over. I do agree with u it would hurt appo as well. Just hoping for dry field so we get thier best and they get ours.

Eh31 I promise you it will take more than 1 guy this week ! And single winger you have been on here talking stuff for the past two years I have been on here and we have had our moments so dude get over it and laugh tell you drop , I think you should read the post again before laughing to hard , no one was saying anything negative about your be loved Giles Spartans ! Enjoy your trip back to Appomattox

Eh31 I promise you it will take more than 1 guy this week ! And single winger you have been on here talking stuff for the past two years I have been on here and we have had our moments so dude get over it and laugh tell you drop , I think you should read the post again before laughing to hard , no one was saying anything negative about your be loved Giles Spartans ! Enjoy your trip back to Appomattox
What are u talking about dude? There has been nothing on this thread but respect for your beloved team from me.

And yes Giles should have a very good chance this year or not too! As far as Appo schedule this year they did play the same as the last few years minus Amherst , so I guess you are saying there district is down !

And yes Giles should have a very good chance this year or not too! As far as Appo schedule this year they did play the same as the last few years minus Amherst , so I guess you are saying there district is down !

You won't even admit Appos schedule was not very strong this year? Aside from Heritage, what teams were any good? Both Dan River and Gretna got curb stomped yesterday.

Yeah, you may be right but that's not what I was implying. Reread my post.. just highlighting how impressive Biedleman has been this year. He has my vote for 2A POY

Reactions: FORT89
Yeah, you may be right but that's not what I was implying. Reread my post.. just highlighting how impressive Biedleman has been this year. He has my vote for 2A POY
I second that. I haven't seen any other player that was more important to their team's success on offense, defense, AND special teams.

Reactions: FORT89
I second that. I haven't seen any other player that was more important to their team's success on offense, defense, AND special teams.
Mitchell for Union doesn't punt or kick, but he's had at least 3-4 PR TDs to go with his all state performance on offense and defense. But either player would be deserving.

Reactions: Boathead
That being said I don't think appo has played a hard schedule at all and I think Giles has a chance.

I agree, in comparison to the past two state championship years. I think the district is down this year and this schedule was rather weak this year. I think the AD needs to take most the blame for that. That is why its hard to gauge how good appo is this year. I have said it many times....Appo is not just going to just blow by teams in the playoffs like past 2 years.

Reactions: eh31 and BigWinners
I agree, in comparison to the past two state championship years. I think the district is down this year and this schedule was rather weak this year. I think the AD needs to take most the blame for that. That is why its hard to gauge how good appo is this year. I have said it many times....Appo is not just going to just blow by teams in the playoffs like past 2 years.
Teams cycle, can't fault your AD for Dan River being a non factor or Gretna not being very good. I would look into trying to find a full schedule that counts in the power points tho lol

Reactions: obguthr
Lots of the teams Appo plAyed this year were down.
I'd say their most impressive outings were an impressive showing against Heritage and a thorough whooping of a very good William Campbell team.
Giles will be tough. Tough offense to defend and we will have to play well.

The problem with rain in my opinion for a single wing team is the chances for fumbles go way up. It's a lot of fake hand offs and sometimes the ball can change hands 3 times. Not saying that will happen, I just know from watching SR run the wing for a while now that ball security concerns the hell out of me during rainy games. It cost us the game vs Byrd last year.

Tackle Biedelman on every play if he has the ball or not and you win

Let there be peace, people! You all will be worn out by next weekend.

Any of the remaining teams could win any of the games. This is a high school football game that young men play. Let's enjoy it as such!

Reactions: HolyFrog
Let there be peace, people! You all will be worn out by next weekend.

Any of the remaining teams could win any of the games. This is a high school football game that young men play. Let's enjoy it as such!
Yea, and we like to discuss these things. If you dont thats fine. Why come on a message board that sole purpose is to talk about high school football and then ask people not to talk about hs football?

Giles is very efficient on offense. I think this ballgame comes down to the linebackers from Appo and their ability to read and react. Teams that do poorly against Giles usually get their linebackers caught up in the traffic, they get sucked in and overpursue. I would play Beidelman as if he were running the ball on every play.

Load your left side heavy on defense. After half time put one more over there. Every 10th play they will hit you with a counter. Good luck!!!

From the Roanoke Times yesterday

Giles football coach Jeff Williams needs a calculator when it comes to Ryan Beidleman.

The 6-foot, 160-pound Giles senior has accomplished the following so far in 2017:

• He broke Giles’ 10-game single-season rushing record with 2,080 yards.
  • He broke the school’s career record for interceptions with 19.
  • He is Giles’ leading tackler.
  • He has completed eight passes for 215 yards.
  • He punts for a 33.7-yard average.
  • He ran for 215 yards in the season opener against Blacksburg and returned an interception 94 yards for a touchdown in a victory over Narrows.
  • In a game at Glenvar, he took back a missed field goal 70 yards to set up a TD, made 17 tackles, dropped a coffin-corner punt inside the 20 and iced the game with a pickoff in the end zone as the Spartans (9-1) took the Three Rivers District championship.
Biedleman had 282 yards and 3 touchdowns against Fort Chiswell last night.
So in other words, stop the Fort Chiswell transfer and appo has a chance. LoL!! Easier said than done, i know. I hope he runs wild!!! Great Kid.

After seeing some film in Appo last night I will say Giles has a very very tough challenge. They are not far from being as good as last year. Maybe not quite as good on defense but I see no difference in offense. As bad as it hurts I see them scoring as many as They want on Giles defense. Hope I'm wrong but I doubt it.
We are brothers that bleed Spartan red, but you have been down on Giles defense just about every week. But in reality, since game 3 against Graham, that young, inexperienced defense hasn't given up much at all. Against the better teams, Floyd, Glenvar, Radford, Narz, they've stepped up and played pretty solid. Now I know this is a much bigger challenge, especially without Green, but maybe they've progressed enough to put up a good fight.

Reactions: 19GHS87
We are brothers that bleed Spartan red, but you have been down on Giles defense just about every week. But in reality, since game 3 against Graham, that young, inexperienced defense hasn't given up much at all. Against the better teams, Floyd, Glenvar, Radford, Narz, they've stepped up and played pretty solid. Now I know this is a much bigger challenge, especially without Green, but maybe they've progressed enough to put up a good fight.
I guess we are watching a different defense. Way to many big plays allowed. U and I both know what our weakness is on defense this year. Won't post here but u know same as me. I'm just telling u after watching film it will be a big struggle against that offense. The game plan would have to be same as Blacksburg. Hope for long time consuming drives and keep thier offense off the field. I'm really not sure why u would come on here and try to sugar coat how the defense has been this year. I agree with u we played pretty good defense against Glenvar but then we took a step back the next week. What i don't question is the effort put out by the boys. I know they will give 100% on Friday night as well.

Last edited:
Winger you are absolutely correct...if you just look at our scores them you would think our D is good but fact is they aren't that good but you're correct the effort is 100% and that's all you can ask for

Reactions: singlewinger92
I guess we are watching a different defense. Way to many big plays allowed. U and I both know what our weakness is on defense this year. Won't post here but u know same as me. I'm just telling u after watching film it will be a big struggle against that offense. The game plan would have to be same as Blacksburg. Hope for long time consuming drives and keep thier offense off the field. I'm really not sure why u would come on here and try to sugar coat how the defense has been this year. I agree with u we played pretty good defense against Glenvar but then we took a step back the next week. What i don't question is the effort put out by the boys. I know they will give 100% on Friday night as well.
Giles defense at Glenvar was much better than anticipated, especially in the secondary against the pass and inside the red zone. Bracketing our best WR the second half made it difficult to get back in the game. We shot ourselves in the foot on multiple occasions and our QB is much better than he played that night but I have to give Giles credit for causing much of that by good solid defense. Hope we are both around to play the Region C final. It would be another game for the ages.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT