ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox 48 Stuarts Draft 41

Gunz41

VaPreps All Region
Sep 22, 2007
Stuarts Draft VA
First, congratulations to the Raiders, and I sure am glad that the attendance was updated. A great atmosphere. And I am hoping that anyone that got dinged in the game recovers quickly.

And a heck of a game to boot.

But it's simple to explain the game quickly. Huge mistakes and big plays. A lot of those mistakes were unforced.

If my memory is keeping up with my calculator, Appomattox won the TO battle 5-2, and a lot of the biggest plays in the game happened on Special Teams.

Heck of an effort by both teams. Again congratulations and continued prayers for Coach Smith

Those kids on both sides played like champions. Both teams would not quit and continued to battle. I saw two teams that played their guts out and represented their schools and communities to the.max.

Appo is so skilled at constantly running the ball well, limiting self inflicted mistakes by winning the turnover battle, and special teams getting the better of the opponent. It's a reflection of consistency and culture with their program.

For Draft, what can you say? An absolute refusal to quit and vicious determination and no question, a well coached program and just a machine. I don't know what Draft returns, but ai get the feeling Draft is at or nearly at the point of it not mattering. It's a program appearing to be closely or at auto pilot and they are going to be in the mix regularly for the near future. Keep your heads high Draft kids, you are absolute winners and left it all on the field.

For the Raiders, maintain and keep that culture of class as you kids played like champions and are one heck of a dynasty doing something few programs in VA have ever done at any level. The Raiders are now in the history books and discussions over the next 50 years with names like Southampton and Gate City.of the 70s, Hampton High of the 90s, Phoebus, Salem, Tabb, Oscar Smith, Powell Valley, Madison County, Appy, and the rest. Just an absolute pleasure to be able to see such greatness.

Those kids on both sides played like champions. Both teams would not quit and continued to battle. I saw two teams that played their guts out and represented their schools and communities to the.max.

Appo is so skilled at constantly running the ball well, limiting self inflicted mistakes by winning the turnover battle, and special teams getting the better of the opponent. It's a reflection of consistency and culture with their program.

For Draft, what can you say? An absolute refusal to quit and vicious determination and no question, a well coached program and just a machine. I don't know what Draft returns, but ai get the feeling Draft is at or nearly at the point of it not mattering. It's a program appearing to be closely or at auto pilot and they are going to be in the mix regularly for the near future. Keep your heads high Draft kids, you are absolute winners and left it all on the field.

For the Raiders, maintain and keep that culture of class as you kids played like champions and are one heck of a dynasty doing something few programs in VA have ever done at any level. The Raiders are now in the history books and discussions over the next 50 years with names like Southampton and Gate City.of the 70s, Hampton High of the 90s, Phoebus, Salem, Tabb, Oscar Smith, Powell Valley, Madison County, Appy, and the rest. Just an absolute pleasure to be able to see such greatness.
Absolutely agree with you on everything you just said ! Just hard nose football by both teams in such a difficult season , they all should be very proud .

What a great game to watch. I thought they were going to pull it out and give Augusta County its first non 1A state title. I have to agree Gunz, mistakes were the difference. Great game plan and the kids left it all on the field. Can't ask for anything else.

Congratulations to Appo on their championship. Not going to lie was pulling for Draft to pull out the win, nothing against Appo, just that Draft is our rival and only 8 miles down the road. Got to listen to most of the game on the radio while watching the 1A game in person. Would have loved to see that one in person, sounded like one heck of a game. Hopefully things will be back to normal this fall and play the championships back in Salem so we can see both games. Wouldnt mind seeing the same 4 teams battling it out again. Best of luck to all the seniors as you enter the post high school world. Cant wait until August rolls around.

Y'all have said it all, YES it was everything y'all have said, Big mistakes and Big plays. Geesh it was a nail biter. My voice is scratchy from hollering so much. Gee wiz it was a tough one, had me on the edge of my seat or standing the whole game.

Hats off to Stuarts Draft, they had a powerful squad and were a well oiled machine for sure, but our Raiders never stopped battling no matter what. It was anybody's ball game all four quarters. Glory to God that our Appomattox Raiders pulled it out in the end. Never stop, don't quit type of mentally has been taught through the years and was shown today.

Congratulations to all the young men and all the coaches. That one was for you Coach Doug Smith. #SmithStrong #FOCUS #PO1Forever 5x State Champions🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆 15, 16, 17, 19, 20....

Y'all have said it all, YES it was everything y'all have said, Big mistakes and Big plays. Geesh it was a nail biter. My voice is scratchy from hollering so much. Gee wiz it was a tough one, had me on the edge of my seat or standing the whole game.

Hats off to Stuarts Draft, they had a powerful squad and were a well oiled machine for sure, but our Raiders never stopped battling no matter what. It was anybody's ball game all four quarters. Glory to God that our Appomattox Raiders pulled it out in the end. Never stop, don't quit type of mentally has been taught through the years and was shown today.

Congratulations to all the young men and all the coaches. That one was for you Coach Doug Smith. #SmithStrong #FOCUS #PO1Forever 5x State Champions🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆 15, 16, 17, 19, 20....
Awesome 5xchamps

Reactions: HolyFrog and Gunz41
And now that I rewatched the game, I have to say I was wr... wro... wron... wrong. I had counted 1 fumble that we recovered as part of 5, So it was 4-2. I didn't count either onside (one each), but the muffed kickoff I did.

Now, I would say both teams played their best competition of the season. Both left it all on the field. Both teams scored 34 on offense, SD had KO return, Appomattox 2 fumble returns (one in endzone).

Again, congratulations to BOTH teams on outstanding seasons.

I'm hopeful of a trilogy in December

Reactions: Bo Bob and oldfool2
2021 Virginia Spring Football Champions
@OscarSmithFB
@SalemSpartans
@ACHS_Raiders
@StoneBridgeFB
@VaPrepsRivals
@LHSRamFootball
E0WHNIyXIAA0hOw

What a game!!!!!!! Draft has absolutely ZERO quit in them! What a great team!!!
Two 2A teams slugged it out yesterday and each received and gave blows. Kids were making big play and defenses were stepping up when it mattered most.
So proud of the Raiders and my son for battling for the full 48 minutes to get the win. They played their hearts out (as did Draft) and played for Coach Smith.
Congrats to the Raiders and all their support group!

I'm really sad that there had to be a team crowned as Champion. In my eyes what i witnessed yesterday both teams are Champions. Appo basically battled from behind the chains in 2017 against Lee to take the win but that game was nothing compared to the slugfest against Stuarts Draft! I'm every bit as proud of the Cougars as i am of the Raiders they are a great group of kids and i'm sure many will go on to even greater things in life due to what they have learned on the field by great coaches on both sides.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT