ADVERTISEMENT

Appomattox VS Glenvar

oldfool2

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 17, 2019
Glenvar makes a field goal in waning moments of the game against DR for the win, can they pull off a win over Appo
? Glenvar appears to be getting better with each week passing as does Appo. I think this will be the real test for Appo to see how consistent we are.

Can they pull off the win? ABSOLUTELY!!!!
We got a lot of things to clean up. Points were left out there last night. Radford was a good team for sure but Glenvar posses a real threat to our goal.

Tre has to stop trying to be a hero, thought he learned that at state final last year. Throw the dang ball away when you have already dropped back 25 yards or more. The fumbles may have been due to the ball being wet which did not favor Radford either.

Calpreps projection

[2020] Appomattox County (Appomattox, VA) 35, [2020] Glenvar (Salem, VA) 17

Last edited:
Going to be an incredibly tough task for Glenvar. Glenvar is very well coached and they get the 100% best out of their kids. Same thing with Appomattox. Should be a heck of a game if Glenvar can keep it close going into halftime.

Glenvar is a great team with a strong history of deep runs into the playoffs. This will be the fourth year in a row we have played them in the playoffs.

Glenvar has 25 playoff appearances since their current HC took over in 2011 and a Championship in 2014 against Wilson Memorial with a score of 20 to 14 in OT. Nothing shy about them they are a team to take very seriously.

Glenvar has 25 playoff appearances since their current HC took over in 2011 and a Championship in 2014 against Wilson Memorial with a score of 20 to 14 in OT. Nothing shy about them they are a team to take very seriously.

How do you get 25 playoff appearances in 10 years? Lol

Just joking, I know you are referring to games, but you only gain an appearance once a season lol

How do you get 25 playoff appearances in 10 years? Lol

Just joking, I know you are referring to games, but you only gain an appearance once a season lol
Yes i was referring to games. But they did appear for the games evidently lol.

Glenvar has been very resilient and solid this year after getting it together following a rough start. Appo should be about a 2 td favorite by most prognosticators, but taking some history in to account, it should be another great game. Glenvar has given Appo all they wanted and then some in the past playoff games with it coming down to a few plays by a great Appo teams late in the 4th quarter, even when they were heavily favored. I really don't expect anything less this time. Appo may win again, but Glenvar maybe finally due.

I was thrilled to return as the play-by-play announcer on WBRG for Appomattox Raiders Football last Friday. I came out of a self-imposed quarantine for one reason: To dedicate this playoff run to my good friend and great coach Doug Smith, who is at Duke Cancer Center recovering from multiple myeloma. I love you Coach!

Glenvar has been very resilient and solid this year after getting it together following a rough start. Appo should be about a 2 td favorite by most prognosticators, but taking some history in to account, it should be another great game. Glenvar has given Appo all they wanted and then some in the past playoff games with it coming down to a few plays by a great Appo teams late in the 4th quarter, even when they were heavily favored. I really don't expect anything less this time. Appo may win again, but Glenvar maybe finally due.

With exception to last year you are exactly correct about them playing us very tough.
I would even add that although the final score last year was 21-0 ( I think our 21 came in the first half) they still played us tough.
I look for it to be a good game and fully understand that Glenvar has what it takes to win the game.

If the Glenvar receivers can make the catches like they did against Radford then they will have a chance. Frankly I thought some of the catches they made wouldn't normally happen. Appomattox will have to pass the ball to open everything up. If Glenvar makes catches Appo wins by 2 TDs. If they don't it will be by 3-4 TDs.

Reactions: Raiders Radio
Glenvar has a great QB in Aiden Wolk and enough playmakers to give The Raiders defense all they can handle Friday in Appomattox. The Highlanders have a superb head coach Kevin Clifford who will have them ready to play. The only question is: Can the Glenvar defense stop The Raiders' high-powered offense lead by QB Tre Lawing?

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
I wish both teams good luck and it should be a great game. Appomattox has the experience and pedigree while Glenvar is resilient and well coached. In the end, I think the Raiders win at home by a touchdown.

Glenvar has a great QB in Aiden Wolk and enough playmakers to give The Raiders defense all they can handle Friday in Appomattox. The Highlanders have a superb head coach Kevin Clifford who will have them ready to play. The only question is: Can the Glenvar defense stop The Raiders' high-powered offense lead by QB Tre Lawing?
I'm not sure I would call it high powered. Most of the early games were bad competition. Against Radford, yes, they scored 41 but 2 tds on pick 6. Roughly 240 total yards and 75 of that came on the first drive so 160 yds the rest of the game. Glenvar will shut down the run so Appo will have to pass to open it up. they have the weapons but Lawing was only 2 of 6 against Radford and was sacked twice. I can't wait to watch.

I was thrilled to return as the play-by-play announcer on WBRG for Appomattox Raiders Football last Friday. I came out of a self-imposed quarantine for one reason: To dedicate this playoff run to my good friend and great coach Doug Smith, who is at Duke Cancer Center recovering from multiple myeloma. I love you Coach!
You guys do a great job. The NHSL coverage is very poor, your coverage was a much much better option.

Have been watching the game on the NFS network. Raiders just better, especially on special teams. Glenvar had to play a almost error free game to win and that didn't happen with the block punt and the kickoff return. Congrats to Appo and as always I will pull for them to win it all, although having seen both Appo and Stuarts Draft, I would call it a draw.

Last edited:
A Glenvar player got hurt tonight and had to be carried off the field, someone please update on his condition. Hate to see a young man get hurt and i'll be praying he is ok,

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
Had the pleasure of watching this game tonight and was impressed with both teams , appo has just so much speed to get to the ball and just jumps on you from the start , hats off to glenvar and the passing game is what keep them in it until 2 late TDS by appo. Won’t have to see all that passing next week, good luck to the raiders at Union and enjoy the trip to Big Stone Gap.

The Raiders get their beloved head coach Doug Smith a nice present on his 58th birthday with a 48-21 win over the gritty Glenvar Highlanders. This is Appomattox County's 5 regional championship in the past 6 seasons. Their prize: a 267 mile trek to Bullitt Park in Big Stone Gap to take on the upstart Union Bears.

I want to give a shout out to the Appo players who came over after the game and wanted the whole team to know how much they respected Glenvar and the game they played last night. We need much more of that in the world today, and much less of some of the other stuff that is said after many a football game. This tells me that the Appo coaching staff is teaching far more than football. We were missing a couple of key players unfortunately, or I think the score would have been closer, but Appo was definitely the better team, especially with that speed.

I want to give a shout out to the Appo players who came over after the game and wanted the whole team to know how much they respected Glenvar and the game they played last night. We need much more of that in the world today, and much less of some of the other stuff that is said after many a football game. This tells me that the Appo coaching staff is teaching far more than football. We were missing a couple of key players unfortunately, or I think the score would have been closer, but Appo was definitely the better team, especially with that spee
Thankyou, and ill say the sportsmanship shown by both teams was the best i have seen in many years.

Reactions: Stabler1980
Thanks for that!
I thought it was total class for one of your coaches to wear a SMITH STRONG shirt in support for Coach!
You are exactly right. That is what needs to be focused on and modeled for our youth.

The Raiders get their beloved head coach Doug Smith a nice present on his 58th birthday with a 48-21 win over the gritty Glenvar Highlanders. This is Appomattox County's 5 regional championship in the past 6 seasons. Their prize: a 267 mile trek to Bullitt Park in Big Stone Gap to take on the upstart Union Bears.
Upstart? Union been in playoffs every year since their inception in 2011 IIRC and made the semis in 2017! lol. Union def a big underdog and them winning 2D was a big surprise but not sure theyd be considered upstarts lol

Upstart? Union been in playoffs every year since their inception in 2011 IIRC and made the semis in 2017! lol. Union def a big underdog and them winning 2D was a big surprise but not sure theyd be considered upstarts lol
By upstart, I meant that Union is the number 4 seed in their region this year and the Bears upset Graham and Central.

Reactions: Stabler1980
By upstart, I meant that Union is the number 4 seed in their region this year and the Bears upset Graham and Central.
Gotcha. Union was def the underdog and it was very surprising to see them win region as the four seed and after a lot of people claimed they didn't deserve to be there.
but aside from Graham, Union has been the most successful team out of 2D in the last decade or so. You guys should know, you kicked our asses once at your place and then escaped with that narrow win in an epic game when you came down here. How bout letting us finally get the W this time? lol

A Glenvar player got hurt tonight and had to be carried off the field, someone please update on his condition. Hate to see a young man get hurt and i'll be praying he is ok,
This player is ok. Going in for tests to see if surgery is required to fix the injury or whether it will heal on its own. Thanks for asking

This player is ok. Going in for tests to see if surgery is required to fix the injury or whether it will heal on its own. Thanks for asking
Thankyou for letting me know. I'll be praying and hoping he recovers fully and quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT