1 Blacksburg 30.1

2 EC Glass 28.1

3 GW 27.67

4 Salem 26.56

5 Will Byrd 26.1

6 CVille 25.3

7 Amherst 24.89

8 Jeff Forest 24.3

I think Sherando misses the playoffs with a loss to Millbrook if Loudoun County upsets Heritage. That would suck.

Also thanks- unless KF performs an earthshaking upset of OS things look fairly set in Group 4 Region A as the others play a group of lesser teams. I will note the difference between 7 seed Warhill and 8 seed Jamestown is significant.

As an afterthought, though B looks like a murders row to get through, the propects of Lafayette if the 1,seed holds to play after the first round the winner of Smithfield/Lake Taylor and then the winnerbof DC/KF is very daunting. Whoever makes to the A/B semi final will be battle tested and probably worn out!

Last edited:
Reactions: ForksUp and gwb16
I've heard that the VHSL is having a small problem with their website. They expect to have it resolved sometime this evening.

Additionally, I think there are a few games to be played tonight, and they could have an impact on the standings. So, if they get the standings up tonight, be aware that there could be an adjustment required on Tuesday morning.

Additionally, I think there are a few games to be played tonight, and they could have an impact on the standings. So, if they get the standings up tonight, be aware that there could be an adjustment required on Tuesday morning.
Thanks for the update,

With respect to 4B,

#8 Huguenot will lose to Monacan. Period, end of discussion.
#7 Courtland and Spotsy could go either way, but I think Courtland wins
#6 PA-A at Lee-Davis, man, it all depends on which PA team shows up, but I take L-D
#5 Midlothian host 6a James River that took Monacan to OT, I'm going with JR.

So, of the lower 4, I'm thinking only Courtland wins. But I'll offer that all but Huguenot may win.

I haven't done the official math, but I give it a zero chance that any of these four could fall to 9th, and it is mathematically impossible for any of these teams to overtake EV.

Reactions: mbonape1
With respect to 4B,

#8 Huguenot will lose to Monacan. Period, end of discussion.
#7 Courtland and Spotsy could go either way, but I think Courtland wins
#6 PA-A at Lee-Davis, man, it all depends on which PA team shows up, but I take L-D
#5 Midlothian host 6a James River that took Monacan to OT, I'm going with JR.

So, of the lower 4, I'm thinking only Courtland wins. But I'll offer that all but Huguenot may win.

I haven't done the official math, but I give it a zero chance that any of these four could fall to 9th, and it is mathematically impossible for any of these teams to overtake EV.
So DP how do you think 5-8 pans out?

So it really doesn't matter how they line up. The only one with even a slight chance of pulling off the upset is PA.

In 4A, the only team in the top 8 that most likely will lose is #3 KF. I guess that could drop them to 4th, but again, I haven't done the math.

Ahh, just admit it. You have forsaken us for your new friends in Georgia. LOL
Will you get home this Friday, or on the 11th? I'm sure you will get back for the game on the 18th?

Reactions: OCBoy
In 4A, the only team in the top 8 that most likely will lose is #3 KF. I guess that could drop them to 4th, but again, I haven't done the math.
That would be interesting if KF lost to 9-1 Div 6 OS and go 8-2 and were outpointed by a 8-2 Smithfield who plays 2 win Bruton this Friday and about a point behind right now. I thought their loss would just flip their position with DC.

That would be interesting if KF lost to 9-1 Div 6 OS and go 8-2 and were outpointed by a 8-2 Smithfield who plays 2 win Bruton this Friday and about a point behind right now. I thought their loss would just flip their position with DC.
Well, remember, Smithfield gets 4 points just for playing a Class 2 team. But you are probably correct.

I'm going to get some computer wizard to write me a program one day that automatically updates itself every week based on just the master schedule, and the posted results.

I MIGHTt be calling a KF upset over Oscar Smith. It’s gotta happen sometime and why not spoil the current 99 straight district win streak.

Talk about the reverberations this would cause around the state in 6a and 4a

The OS defense has shut out most opponents and limited DC two weeks ago to 6 points while scoring 28. As DC played KF to 14-14 in regulation I see KF scoring 7 on OS. That will not win the game. The former Phoebus coach will have them ready.

Added thought. Only loss is Vero Beach, they are now 9-0 and their closest game and the most points given up in a game? Yup, Oscar Smith. That's another win against a Virginia team.

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
The OS defense has shut out most opponents and limited DC two weeks ago to 6 points while scoring 28. As DC played KF to 14-14 in regulation I see KF scoring 7 on OS. That will not win the game. The former Phoebus coach will have them ready.

Added thought. Only loss is Vero Beach, they are now 9-0 and their closest game and the most points given up in a game? Yup, Oscar Smith. That's another win against a Virginia team.

Phebous coach doesn’t coach there anymore he passed away in the off season and DC play OS in a torrential down pour. We will see

Reactions: CavsGrad
4b is looking at a probable 2nd round of 4 undefeated teams. Any chance #3 or #4 upset #1 or #2 and if so which one is more likely?

Great question and I don’t know the answer to that. I would say it is going to be a colosil heavy weight bout in both games.

I’d say Louisa has a slightly better chance to upset Monacan but EV is very Dynamic and should give Dinwiddie a run for its money

Phebous coach doesn’t coach there anymore he passed away in the off season and DC play OS in a torrential down pour. We will see

OS promoted an assistant to head coach during the off season. Interestingly, DC's new head coach recruited his father for an assistant position from OS.

Great question and I don’t know the answer to that. I would say it is going to be a colosil heavy weight bout in both games.

I’d say Louisa has a slightly better chance to upset Monacan but EV is very Dynamic and should give Dinwiddie a run for its money

I don't think I would classify a loss in the second by the #1 or #2 in region b as an upset. All four teams are undefeated for a reason. We can argue schedule strength all day long, but that goes out the window in the playoffs.

EV, Monacan, and Dinwiddie play a very similar style. Louisa, did play some read option and passed effectively against Charlottesville, but I would be suprised if they went too far away from their bread and butter. If they do it could be a mistake. Monacan db's are very good. If Louisa can control the clock and keep Fludd off the field they could win. Louisa's dbs will have to be spot on.

I think the EV vs. Dinwiddie matchup is very intriguing, because of the unknown. Both teams are very athletic and have sound defenses. I think the team that can contain the others running game wins this one. Beating Dinwiddie at home is not going to be easy for the Cyclones, but Coach Hatfield's boys are capable.

All four need to take care of business this week and next.

I don't think I would classify a loss in the second by the #1 or #2 in region b as an upset. All four teams are undefeated for a reason. We can argue schedule strength all day long, but that goes out the window in the playoffs.

EV, Monacan, and Dinwiddie play a very similar style. Louisa, did play some read option and passed effectively against Charlottesville, but I would be suprised if they went too far away from their bread and butter. If they do it could be a mistake. Monacan db's are very good. If Louisa can control the clock and keep Fludd off the field they could win. Louisa's dbs will have to be spot on.

I think the EV vs. Dinwiddie matchup is very intriguing, because of the unknown. Both teams are very athletic and have sound defenses. I think the team that can contain the others running game wins this one. Beating Dinwiddie at home is not going to be easy for the Cyclones, but Coach Hatfield's boys are capable.

All four need to take care of business this week and next.

@BleedingNavy which one is more likely an Louisa win over Monacan or an EV win over Dinwiddie?

@BleedingNavy which one is more likely an Louisa win over Monacan or an EV win over Dinwiddie?
Wow @mbonape1. Way to throw me under the bus. As I said all four are capable of winning, but since you put me on the spot I would have to say EV. Monacan has a signature win over a traditionally powerful running team (LC Bird) and they are familiar with Louisa as they played last year. The "unknown" and EV's scheme makes things tougher to predict.

My only question for EV is can they establish the running game against Dinwiddie. Highly recruited C. Tyree (Dale) and Walker (Hopewell) had no success. Ramsey from Salem is the only back to gain over 50 on Dinwiddie and that was without Elder and Pope on defense.

Now that I answered let me hear your opinion. No song and dance either.

Wow @mbonape1. Way to throw me under the bus. As I said all four are capable of winning, but since you put me on the spot I would have to say EV. Monacan has a signature win over a traditionally powerful running team (LC Bird) and they are familiar with Louisa as they played last year. The "unknown" and EV's scheme makes things tougher to predict.

My only question for EV is can they establish the running game against Dinwiddie. Highly recruited C. Tyree (Dale) and Walker (Hopewell) had no success. Ramsey from Salem is the only back to gain over 50 on Dinwiddie and that was without Elder and Pope on defense.

Let’s get EV past Patrick Henry first please

Let’s get EV past Patrick Henry first please
I was only responding to a question OCBoy, but you are very correct. We still have two weeks to go and crazy things can happen. Hope you get a chance to make it back for the playoffs.

I was only responding to a question OCBoy, but you are very correct. We still have two weeks to go and crazy things can happen. Hope you get a chance to make it back for the playoffs.
I gotcha. Hopefully I’ll be back on the 17th and IF EV plays Dinwiddie I hope it’s on that Saturday

Traditionally, we play our early round games on Friday. The only Saturday game last year was the state semi. Just stop by on your way home. We are not far from 95 or 85.

Reactions: gwb16 and OCBoy
Traditionally, we play our early round games on Friday. The only Saturday game last year was the state semi. Just stop by on your way home. We are not far from 95 or 85.
I’ll plan accordingly once we see who makes it through

I would say Louisa has a better shot as I said in the first comment. Monacan may have trouble stopping the power run game of Louisa. Agree that Louisa may struggle to defend the pass but that’s if Fludd has time to throw with Brandon Smith applying pressure. I am glad that the game will be at our place this year, that is the only thing that has me leaning toward Monacan and I am obviously a homer to the team I played for.

EV....I do believe this EV team may be one of the best they have ever fielded in program history. But will it be enough?? I just don’t know. Where does this Dinwiddie team rank amongst Dinwiddie teams of the past? I would say at worst they are top 3 in program history. Again I would say the difference is the Home field advantage in this one.

I do think EV’s lack of quality schedule could hurt them here bc they haven’t been in a battle yet. How will they respond if K Pope picks one off and then Williams return the opening KO for a TD and they are down 14-0?

Too many unknowns... It is easier to just hand the ball off and Louisa can do that without a lot of negative plays or turnovers. If they stick to what got them there... I’d say they have a better shot at a regional final.

Both games have the potential to be historic along with the eventual regional championship game. No matter who wins the Semi’s.... tell me a game you wouldn’t want to see!!!

That game against DC was in very bad weather and DC was pretty one dimensional with their backup QB. A lot of factors that assisted in DC's offensive problems. Not taking absolutely anything from Smith, those guys are legit. I'm just saying it was a much closer game than the score board says.

As far as Kings Fork's chances, I think if they can stay away from the penalties they have a shot. Watching both the Deep Creek and Indian River games Smith played, the speed KF has could really be a problem. Indian River, who also doesn't have the most consistent passing game, was able to move the ball at a decent rate.

I think the plan of attack for Fork will be to try and get the ball to the edge. Use their speed. There are areas in the Smith defense that can be exploited. Just can't make mistakes that put us behind the chains and avoid turnovers.

I'm not saying KF wins. I will say this is probably the most balanced team offensively that Smith has seen to this point. Smith will also need to be able to throw the ball. Trying to win with just a run game against this Kings Fork defense is NOT a plan for success. Weather it's Oscar Smith or any one else.

I'm biased, obviously, but I'm taking Kings Fork this Friday. Senior night. Opportunity to get a share of the district title, first in school history for football. Stop a winning streak from reaching 100.

Speaking of the streak, if the game is close headed into the 4th quarter I think the pressure builds on Smith. No one gives KF a shot. They are not expected to win. They just need to go out and play their game.

Great points @mbonape1. I think the interesting fact about all four of these teams is the offensive numbers they throw up each game. Each team boast a workhorse rb who can run the ball around you and over you. You have Whalen at Louisa, Holmes at EV, Bridey at Monacan and Sturdivant at Dinwiddie. To add to the rushing attacks there are the qb's Bell, Lowry, Fludd and Pope who all are great runners in their own right. Its harder to identify the top receivers in this group especially at Louisa as they throw a lot to the backs and tight end Smith. Maybe a Louisa faithful can shed some light on this for me. EV's D'ago Hunter is a well known playmaker while Josiah Williams at Dinwiddie and Reeves at Monaca are very capable receivers.

When you put these offenses against what appears to be shut down defenses something will have to give. Balance appears to be the key to success. Which team will be able to establish the run, but be able to mix it up with the passing game when necessary. With the experience of Fludd, his established corps of receivers and ability to stretch defenses out with the long ball Monacan appears to have the edge in this area.

November weather can be strange and if there is a wet surface then things change. If these matchups necessitate a ground and pound game Louisa will be favored closely by Dinwiddie.

In a shoot out I favor EV or Dinwiddie as they have phenomenal special teams units and are capable of taking a punt or kick return to the house at any time.

Please feel free to chime in. I know its early, but darn this is going to be good.

Reactions: OCBoy and mbonape1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT