ADVERTISEMENT

Are you kidding me! Lafayette/Warhill now Saturday 7pm

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
Schools back in on Thursday due to change in Florence track. Forecast is for some rain- it’s now scheduled for Saturday unless weather doesn’t cooperate. Then maybe a 4th rescheduling/ a new Lafayette record!

Smithfield played Jamestown several years ago in a tropical storm, Wanner's field has the best drainage system in the 757...suit up and play...it's rain and wind...BUT, I'm sure officials are just as concerned for the fans who will be traveling on possibly flooded roads. Personally, I think it's a good call to get it in on Saturday, with the forecast shift as it is...but the schedule/reschedule routine is making people dizzy...LOL

Just out - game now remaining on Oct 23 at 7:30. Three games in 8 days. Should have played last night in the sun if they had their act together and scheduled.

Smithfield played Jamestown several years ago in a tropical storm, Wanner's field has the best drainage system in the 757...suit up and play...it's rain and wind...BUT, I'm sure officials are just as concerned for the fans who will be traveling on possibly flooded roads. Personally, I think it's a good call to get it in on Saturday, with the forecast shift as it is...but the schedule/reschedule routine is making people dizzy...LOL
Just changed back to’10/23. A coach last night said it was definitely on this Saturday!! I give up!

Yes , bad decision as all sun. Couldn’t get waiver even to practice. Silly decision! Back in school today and Friday!!!
It looks like many jurisdictions were surprised by the storm's turn. Always tough choices. I was planning to see IMG visit St. John's in DC on Saturday, but that was canceled too. Oh well...

Reactions: gwb16
I understand it can be very frustrating, and things can happen to change what is expected, but everyone needs to remember that a school closing, etc is done for the safety of everyone. I dont think knocking officials for trying to keep the kids and staff safe is good. Because remember, it could have just as easily been the other way around and then they all could have been in danger.

As for playing the game or not, sounds like they have had a hard time. They are doing the best they can. And the way this storm keeps moving probably has caused them a lot of problems.

But remember, we are just talking about a football game here. There are places not far from VA who are looking at possibility of Houston like storms. Prayers for them as the storm approaches

I understand it can be very frustrating, and things can happen to change what is expected, but everyone needs to remember that a school closing, etc is done for the safety of everyone. I dont think knocking officials for trying to keep the kids and staff safe is good. Because remember, it could have just as easily been the other way around and then they all could have been in danger.

As for playing the game or not, sounds like they have had a hard time. They are doing the best they can. And the way this storm keeps moving probably has caused them a lot of problems.

But remember, we are just talking about a football game here. There are places not far from VA who are looking at possibility of Houston like storms. Prayers for them as the storm approaches
My only issue is some of these decisions are simply made too soon when they do not need to be. The forecast for days was always good for Wednesday. And why not wait until Friday afternoon for a Saturday game? It involves both Williamsburg Higj schools and no travel. Playing 3 games in 8 days the week of October 23 has it risks to the players too.

Reactions: salemfan32
My only issue is some of these decisions are simply made too soon when they do not need to be. The forecast for days was always good for Wednesday. And why not wait until Friday afternoon for a Saturday game? It involves both Williamsburg Higj schools and no travel. Playing 3 games in 8 days the week of October 23 has it risks to the players too.
You also have to consider the officials and the people behind the scenes, especially if they live in an area where they may want to evacuate prior to the storm.

You also have to consider the officials and the people behind the scenes, especially if they live in an area where they may want to evacuate prior to the storm.
Zone A here had evacuation but it does not include Williamsburg, York County, Newport News or most of Hampton but it does affect some Southside areas.

I know that those games have risks too, but even you as upset as you are would say they are completely different.

And it takes a lot more than just say we will play this day at this time. Not saying the games should have been moved or anything, but looking at it in just a fans perspective doesnt give the whole story

I know that those games have risks too, but even you as upset as you are would say they are completely different.

And it takes a lot more than just say we will play this day at this time. Not saying the games should have been moved or anything, but looking at it in just a fans perspective doesnt give the whole story
Maybe so, but I remember playing Smithfield at our old Cooley field on grass in a torrential downpour for all 48 minutes some years ago, no problem, a few years ago at Poquoson in dry weather but a steady 40 mph wind from left to right on the field all game, no problem. I guess things have changed.

Bummer. I was hoping it would work out this week but agree that there are a lot of moving parts for the decision makers on a situation like this. Once they closed the schools...game over. If school would have remained open Wednesday, Lafayette would be 3-0 right now!

Bring on the October Gauntlet!

Everybody stay safe out there!!

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Bummer. I was hoping it would work out this week but agree that there are a lot of moving parts for the decision makers on a situation like this. Once they closed the schools...game over. If school would have remained open Wednesday, Lafayette would be 3-0 right now!

Bring on the October Gauntlet!

Everybody stay safe out there!!
Agree, that Weds. closing made it tough to play. It will be a gauntlet that October week. If they can finish off Jamestown on the Friday by halftime which I think they can do, the Tuesdsy Warhill game effort should be fine, but playing a solid 48 minutes against the Warhill wing T, I wonder about the 4 Q energy level against a fresh Poquoson teams wing T on that Saturday on three days rest. Especially as the Poquoson game is at 1 Pm Saturday afternoon and if it is hot as it could well be out in the sun I could see some late game issues.

Many Wjcc schools were going to be used as shelters on Thursday for anyone that needed to evacuate from the beach area - that's why schools were closed on Wed (for prep just in case). Kudos to them, better safe then sorry. Learn the lesson of Katrina, be prepared and make call early to help with the preparation then if the storm changes path you haven't lost anything of value other than a change of scheduling.

Yes, that was one of the issues but never utilized. William and Mary has shut down since Weds and I think they reopen Monday. All dorms are closed and it is deserted. I wonder where the students went that live in NC and SC?
The Williamsburg schools were closed Wednesday , open Thursday and now closed again today, Friday. Like ping-pong.

Poquoson is in the same boat. They play three games in seven days. October 12, 16 and 18.
True, but aren’t two of those games against Grafton and Bruton? Shouldn’t be any problem. Any idea why our game is on Saturday at 1 pm, never had a regular season game at that time?

Yes, Poquoson plays Smithfield, then Grafton, then Bruton. I know the later two are down, but that's still two full games in three days. Have no idea why Poquoson and Lafayette are playing at 1:00 pm, in lieu of the usual 7:00 pm start time.

Yes, Poquoson plays Smithfield, then Grafton, then Bruton. I know the later two are down, but that's still two full games in three days. Have no idea why Poquoson and Lafayette are playing at 1:00 pm, in lieu of the usual 7:00 pm start time.
Is that the weekend of The Poquoson Seafood Festival? That might explain the 1PM start...could be a HUGE GATE. Traffic will be horrendous though...

Is that the weekend of The Poquoson Seafood Festival? That might explain the 1PM start...could be a HUGE GATE. Traffic will be horrendous though...
The game is in Williamsburg at Wanner Stadium, not in Poquoson.

ADVERTISEMENT