ADVERTISEMENT

Article in News & Advance detailing LCA settlement agreement

If the VISAA did come under the umbrella of the VHSL, LCA would have the right to join the public school division of the VHSL.

Huh? That sentence confuses me. Did Cates mean to say, " join the private school division"?

Thanks for sharing, Mike. That helps shed a little more light on the process that took place.

The devil is always in the details and it will be interesting to see how the agreement unfolds as more information and interpretations come to light. A lot was made of the initial settlement and the fact that the VHSL didn't want to go to court with the deep pockets of Liberty, ostensibly implying a big win for LCA. Could be true and certainly a possibility, however, another alternative might be the settlement as proposed is as favorable to the VHSL as what they could have achieved at trial and they were able to meet their objectives without paying a boatload of lawyer's fees. The transfer rule/recruiting impact is one focus area and it seems like the VHSL probably protected their current member schools the best they could by eliminating the boarding schools as an option and getting agreements on other attendance calculations that will make the move less of a slam dunk for a lot of other private schools. If I understand the rule, a kid wanting to transfer to LCA is immediately eligible if they move to Lynchburg but, must sit out a year if they do not move. Sitting out a year in high school, particularly without the benefit of reclassifying is not a really smart option for most kids. Of course defining what a "move" to Lynchburg entails might still hold some twists and it is unclear whether that impacts just high school kids or lower grades as well( is a lower grade attendee grandfathered in because if so they just begin to recruit at the elementary and intermediate school levels). Defining LCA's attendance zone as Lynchburg city was a good thing for the surrounding counties and localities and with Woody coming to Glass and Bradley at Heritage LCA will have their work cut out for them convincing kids there is a better option at LCA. Just my opinion but, a lot more details must come to light and the dust allowed to clear a little before truly sorting out the winners and losers from the settlement.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Could a kid still reclassify in the 8th grade and if so that student athlete will never miss a year of high school eligibility. Another point is that LCA can offer something no public school can ever do and that is offer a Christian education. So I still see the area public schools at a disadvantage. If families are willing to send there children from the surrounding Lynchburg area they will still do that to provide not just athletics but that Christian education as well.

Reactions: Hampton Roads 6
Could a kid still reclassify in the 8th grade and if so that student athlete will never miss a year of high school eligibility. Another point is that LCA can offer something no public school can ever do and that is offer a Christian education. So I still see the area public schools at a disadvantage. If families are willing to send there children from the surrounding Lynchburg area they will still do that to provide not just athletics but that Christian education as well.

In that specific case, I would assume that they would be subject to the age rule as are all of the public kids now who stay back a year before entering high school

The devil is always in the details and it will be interesting to see how the agreement unfolds as more information and interpretations come to light. A lot was made of the initial settlement and the fact that the VHSL didn't want to go to court with the deep pockets of Liberty, ostensibly implying a big win for LCA. Could be true and certainly a possibility, however, another alternative might be the settlement as proposed is as favorable to the VHSL as what they could have achieved at trial and they were able to meet their objectives without paying a boatload of lawyer's fees. The transfer rule/recruiting impact is one focus area and it seems like the VHSL probably protected their current member schools the best they could by eliminating the boarding schools as an option and getting agreements on other attendance calculations that will make the move less of a slam dunk for a lot of other private schools. If I understand the rule, a kid wanting to transfer to LCA is immediately eligible if they move to Lynchburg but, must sit out a year if they do not move. Sitting out a year in high school, particularly without the benefit of reclassifying is not a really smart option for most kids. Of course defining what a "move" to Lynchburg entails might still hold some twists and it is unclear whether that impacts just high school kids or lower grades as well( is a lower grade attendee grandfathered in because if so they just begin to recruit at the elementary and intermediate school levels). Defining LCA's attendance zone as Lynchburg city was a good thing for the surrounding counties and localities and with Woody coming to Glass and Bradley at Heritage LCA will have their work cut out for them convincing kids there is a better option at LCA. Just my opinion but, a lot more details must come to light and the dust allowed to clear a little before truly sorting out the winners and losers from the settlement.

Good analysis, Cut. I think the biggest question you raised is LCA's pre 8th grade recruiting efforts. But, projecting a kid to be an exceptional athlete at that young age is fraught with pitfalls.

But I agree. I'm thinking as it it is right now, the agreement is good for both parties. I don't see it as the train wreck I first thought it might be.

LCA does not recruit pre 8th graders, But now I am sure parents look "down the road" and see advantages of their son/daughter attending LCA, and take steps to make it happen.

Whether right, wrong or indifferent, LCA is a better high school than most public schools.

So are all those kids ineligible for VHSL participation? I'll admit I'm not up on the ins & outs of this.
If they live there now, they're eligible. But if they transfer to LCA in future they're not. That's the way I read all the press releases. But honestly, I don't think anyone on either side of the fence really knows all the breakdowns right now. Still much to be decided.

I know for a fact that most of Heritage players love playing for Bradley and I don't see many of them transferring.

I think the rules are going to be pretty simple once things get going. If a kid starts 9th grade at LCA then there's no problem. Sitting out a year only comes into play if you start high school somewhere outside of their zone and then want to transfer without a corresponding move by your family. They will also have to multiply their enrollment by 1.5 for classification purposes. So, for athletic purposes, just think of LCA as a Lynchburg City magnet school or something like that. Most families are going to have to make the call on LCA before 9th grade starts if they want to avoid the kid sitting out a year.

I wish they were playing Lake Taylor as their opener. That would let us know where they stand right out of the gate.

P.S. This is really going to screw up my ratings. Thinking of deserting them again. I anticipate that there's soon going to be a bunch of private schools that are members put play 60% of their games against non-members. I really don't want to have to be hunting down private school scores. It's a chore; I've tried it before.

I think the rules are going to be pretty simple once things get going. If a kid starts 9th grade at LCA then there's no problem. Sitting out a year only comes into play if you start high school somewhere outside of their zone and then want to transfer without a corresponding move by your family. They will also have to multiply their enrollment by 1.5 for classification purposes. So, for athletic purposes, just think of LCA as a Lynchburg City magnet school or something like that. Most families are going to have to make the call on LCA before 9th grade starts if they want to avoid the kid sitting out a year.

I wish they were playing Lake Taylor as their opener. That would let us know where they stand right out of the gate.

P.S. This is really going to screw up my ratings. Thinking of deserting them again. I anticipate that there's soon going to be a bunch of private schools that are members put play 60% of their games against non-members. I really don't want to have to be hunting down private school scores. It's a chore; I've tried it before.
The part that I really don't like is they scheduled Maury a team that is 5A, but very down right now and will likely beat them. That will give them a false sense of hope and accomplishment as they will talk about how they beat a Tidewater team, and a team that is 5a. Smh we would have played them we were without a 10th game for awhile.

Reactions: wikki
LCA? 8th Graders? Recruiting? I am really so tired of all of it. Just play the game and be done with it.
Sorry Shauntclair and I can agree that it is getting old, but this drives me crazy. It is just that I know things and know how most people feel. I doubt if my opinion changes, but it is what it is.

I would love to see them play Lake Taylor as well. I wouldn't mind seeing them playing Salem either.

ADVERTISEMENT