ADVERTISEMENT

Atlee, Henrico, Matoaca & Varina Moving to Class 4

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Have first hand knowledge although nothing confirmed by the VHSL that the move of Atlee, Henrico, Matoaca and Varina to Class 4 was approved yesterday morning by a vote of 21-0.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Michael Jordan gained 15 pounds of muscle in order to beat the Bad Boy Pistons. I challenge Class 4 programs to do the same. If not, Varina will DOMINATE every year in football and basketball. Their 2022 class may turn out to be better than the 2020 class and those guys beat the two Class 4 semifinalist by a combined 104-17 margin including the state champion. Henrico is no slouch either.

I will say, I’d pay top dollar to see a Salem/Varina game this year (unfortunately this classification change won’t take effect until next year). Salem and maybe even Sherando will be the only teams in the western part of the state to go blow for blow with Varina over the next 4-5 years.

I will say, I’d pay top dollar to see a Salem/Varina game this year (unfortunately this classification change won’t take effect until next year). Salem and maybe even Sherando will be the only teams in the western part of the state to go blow for blow with Varina over the next 4-5 years.

Varina will be good but I don’t think they’re going to dominate the way you think. You’re bringing up all those posters who are now inactive thoughts about how 8 years ago the 757 was going to dominate class 4. How the East would run through all west teams. Think of Phoebus they’ve moved down to class 3 and have won how many championships? I don’t like to compare apples to oranges so let’s just see how things pan out the schools up north and out west compete too and it’s always been something about being punched in the mouth and smashmouth football these west teams have some years coupled with some speed in the right spots that’s giving those Power 5 rosters fits.

Varina will be good but I don’t think they’re going to dominate the way you think. You’re bringing up all those posters who are now inactive thoughts about how 8 years ago the 757 was going to dominate class 4. How the East would run through all west teams. Think of Phoebus they’ve moved down to class 3 and have won how many championships? I don’t like to compare apples to oranges so let’s just see how things pan out the schools up north and out west compete too and it’s always been something about being punched in the mouth and smashmouth football these west teams have some years coupled with some speed in the right spots that’s giving those Power 5 rosters fits.
I would say Varina moving down to 4A is a little different than Dinwiddie or Lake Taylor, who have both been premier programs since they moved down. I would say that the county rec league and middle school feeder systems in Henrico County and the fight to get the best coaching staff among the Glen Allen’s, Highland Springs’, Hermitage’s and Henrico’s will ultimately put the Blue Devils in better position to win year in and year out in 4A. From top to bottom, Henrico County’s High school coaching tree is stacked. I’m very familiar with the Varina program and they are loaded for the next 5 years. Varina has had a couple of down years but they normally are a program (a lot like Salem) who runs a system and normally plays very physical. They unloaded on Lake Taylor by 49 points this year and they beat Highland Springs. The program is looking real good. I believe they’ll have a run in 4A like Highland Springs and Salem had in their respective classes. Just my opinion.

I would say Varina moving down to 4A is a little different than Dinwiddie or Lake Taylor, who have both been premier programs since they moved down. I would say that the county rec league and middle school feeder systems in Henrico County and the fight to get the best coaching staff among the Glen Allen’s, Highland Springs’, Hermitage’s and Henrico’s will ultimately put the Blue Devils in better position to win year in and year out in 4A. From top to bottom, Henrico County’s High school coaching tree is stacked. I’m very familiar with the Varina program and they are loaded for the next 5 years. Varina has had a couple of down years but they normally are a program (a lot like Salem) who runs a system and normally plays very physical. They unloaded on Lake Taylor by 49 points this year and they beat Highland Springs. The program is looking real good. I believe they’ll have a run in 4A like Highland Springs and Salem had in their respective classes. Just my opinion.

BTW: Lake Taylor is moving to C3; Region A

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT