ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn - Rural Retreat

Aug 23, 2014
Rural Retreat (7-3) has been flying under the 1A West radar all season and could be a spoiler in the playoffs. The Indians are not as big, fast or overall talented as some of the other teams in the playoffs but they are disciplined, well coached and will not quit.

The team is fairly balanced with a number of different tough north/south running backs, small but good receivers and an intelligent quarterback with a good arm. Their line is not huge but they are quick and play well as a unit. On offense they play a variation of the split back veer and pass when opponents fill up the box to stop the run. Rural Retreat's defense is physical and aggressive.

They have played many of the current playoff teams such as Bland (lost in OT), Galax, (lost after leading by one at the half), Patrick Henry (won), Northwood (won) and now GW (lost by one). Also, Rural Retreat knows what is like to play from behind with the other teams leading in 4 of their 7 wins. They have played and beaten two 2A opponents, Marion and Tazewell.

The Indians will be playing Auburn in the first round of the playoffs at home. Auburn is a physical and well coached/disciplined team with big/strong lineman and running backs. The Indians know what to expect from Auburn since they played them in a scrimmage at Carroll County in August.

Therefore, in my opinion this will be the best first round match up in 1A.

I quess the question is, just how did that loss to GW effect RR ? How much wind did it take out of their sails? Probably, not much in my opinion. RR will be a hand full for Auburn. I have been impressed for years with RR and that darn veer offense. When they get it rollin, they are a beast to stop.Don't sell them short. Auburn has the Nelson kid and strong line. Both squads have good coaches. RR has a long history of playoff appearances over 2 decades or more. Auburn is relatively new to the playoff scene, but are establishing themselves as a D1 school to be reckoned with each year. This one is a tough one to call. It could go either way. The team that plays error free ball, probably will win it in the 4th qrt.

Someone mentioned injuries in another post about auburn. Any details?
Just heard that Coach Turner plans to take a year away from coaching to work on his health and spend time with daughters, gentleman said he spoke with coach about moving his to son to Auburn to play. If true will be a huge loss for Auburn, man said after a year off he will coach again if someone hires him.

I was thinking the same was said last year. If my memory is correct. Do you remember that Ed?

I as thinking the same was said last year. If my memory is correct. Do. you remember that Ed?
I saw the Auburn-Parry McClure game earlier this year, and those were two of the best coached teams I've seen on the same field in a while. In fact, I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of well coached teams I've seen since I moved here to Va. last year. I see it is about a two hour drive for me right down I-81, so maybe I might ease on down to Rural retreat and catch this one.

Last edited:
Haha, the rumor about coach Turner floats around almost every year. I highly doubt coach Turner is going anywhere anytime soon unless he has an offer from somewhere else. He did have some health issues, but went to another doc and they changed up his medication and he is now much healthier. This match-up may be one of the best first round match-ups out there. Think the RR team will be very motivated as well as the Auburn guys, who beat Fort last season in the first round. Should be a shoot out in RR Friday night.

Haha, the rumor about coach Turner floats around almost every year. I highly doubt coach Turner is going anywhere anytime soon unless he has an offer from somewhere else. He did have some health issues, but went to another doc and they changed up his medication and he is now much healthier. This match-up may be one of the best first round match-ups out there. Think the RR team will be very motivated as well as the Auburn guys, who beat Fort last season in the first round. Should be a shoot out in RR Friday night.
If auburn can keep RR offense off the field they win. 28-14 Auburn

Just when I think I nailed down my pic in this one, you guy throw me a curve on your post. You rascals. Just kidding, I certainly hope that the Coach's health is not in question. As I said in my previous post, both these squads are very well coached. I am more familiar with RR and their tradition. But like I said, Auburn has really established themselves as being a tough draw for anyone. Gee Whizzzz guys, any more thoughts??

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT