ADVERTISEMENT

Augusta County Games for First Weekend of March

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Boy that title sounds strange doesn't it? But we made it through the opening week last weekend with the Friday games played in the snow and the Saturday games blessed with surprisingly good weather for late February. If there was a surprise in that first round of games it would have to be Stuarts Draft's easy time with Glenvar, a game that matched two teams ranked in the top ten in the 2-A polls, and therefore a closer outcome should have been expected. But something tells me there will be more unexpected results as the season continues for the next five Fridays.

Since there are six teams in the Shenandoah District plus Waynesboro, that will mean that in any given week, there will be four games to discuss and surely there will be at least one toss-up each week. Here is our slate for Week Two...........

Waynesboro at Harrisonburg: The Little Giants can take comfort in the fact that they stayed with Wilson for the first half, so their next team goal will be to string together four consistent quarters. Ordinarily a trip to H'burg would not be the ideal place to achieve that goal, so on paper this one appears to be a rout waiting to happen. But Waynesboro has been known to give the Blue Streaks some good games, even during this slump, and don't forget this will be Harrisonburg's first game. It may still be a landslide win for the home team but don't be too shocked if it is more competitive than we might think.

Buffalo Gap at Stuarts Draft: Each team will be looking to start out 2-0 but of course only one of them will. As mentioned above, the Cougars turned some heads with how easily they sent the Highlanders limping back to Salem, so fans over in the Draft may already be pointing toward the final night of the regular season and their big trip to Greenville (as if they weren't already!) But first things first as a confident Bison team will certainly not roll over and play dead. Look for this one to be close early but the Draft will likely pull away in the second half to win by 3 or 4 scores.

Wilson at Riverheads: The Hornets gave their new coach Drew Bugden his first victory last week with their solid 35-8 win at Waynesboro in a game played in a mini-blizzard. That of course has to give them some confidence for the rest of the season. But was that a "now we are in Riverheads' league " kind of win? On paper it would certainly appear not, as the Gladiators have their usual stable of running backs and the Big Red simply does not beat itself. Tazewell was a quality opponent Saturday so anyone who thinks Riverheads "struggled" in that one does not know RHS football. You can expect a fairly easy Pride win Friday.

Staunton at Fort Defiance: On paper this one looks like this week's toss-up. I personally missed on both of these teams last week, as I expected Fort to prevail at Rockbridge and I did not think Staunton would be able to handle East Rock. So pay no attention to me when I tell you that I expect to see the Indians bounce back, get Trevor Bartley revved up, and pick up their first win of the season over the Storm. However, it should be a close one, as many games have been between these two in recent years. With Friday's weather expected to be decent, these two could easily get into the 20s or 30s, maybe even higher.

Reactions: Bo Bob
Boy that title sounds strange doesn't it? But we made it through the opening week last weekend with the Friday games played in the snow and the Saturday games blessed with surprisingly good weather for late February. If there was a surprise in that first round of games it would have to be Stuarts Draft's easy time with Glenvar, a game that matched two teams ranked in the top ten in the 2-A polls, and therefore a closer outcome should have been expected. But something tells me there will be more unexpected results as the season continues for the next five Fridays.

Since there are six teams in the Shenandoah District plus Waynesboro, that will mean that in any given week, there will be four games to discuss and surely there will be at least one toss-up each week. Here is our slate for Week Two...........

Waynesboro at Harrisonburg: The Little Giants can take comfort in the fact that they stayed with Wilson for the first half, so their next team goal will be to string together four consistent quarters. Ordinarily a trip to H'burg would not be the ideal place to achieve that goal, so on paper this one appears to be a rout waiting to happen. But Waynesboro has been known to give the Blue Streaks some good games, even during this slump, and don't forget this will be Harrisonburg's first game. It may still be a landslide win for the home team but don't be too shocked if it is more competitive than we might think.

Buffalo Gap at Stuarts Draft: Each team will be looking to start out 2-0 but of course only one of them will. As mentioned above, the Cougars turned some heads with how easily they sent the Highlanders limping back to Salem, so fans over in the Draft may already be pointing toward the final night of the regular season and their big trip to Greenville (as if they weren't already!) But first things first as a confident Bison team will certainly not roll over and play dead. Look for this one to be close early but the Draft will likely pull away in the second half to win by 3 or 4 scores.

Wilson at Riverheads: The Hornets gave their new coach Drew Bugden his first victory last week with their solid 35-8 win at Waynesboro in a game played in a mini-blizzard. That of course has to give them some confidence for the rest of the season. But was that a "now we are in Riverheads' league " kind of win? On paper it would certainly appear not, as the Gladiators have their usual stable of running backs and the Big Red simply does not beat itself. Tazewell was a quality opponent Saturday so anyone who thinks Riverheads "struggled" in that one does not know RHS football. You can expect a fairly easy Pride win Friday.

Staunton at Fort Defiance: On paper this one looks like this week's toss-up. I personally missed on both of these teams last week, as I expected Fort to prevail at Rockbridge and I did not think Staunton would be able to handle East Rock. So pay no attention to me when I tell you that I expect to see the Indians bounce back, get Trevor Bartley revved up, and pick up their first win of the season over the Storm. However, it should be a close one, as many games have been between these two in recent years. With Friday's weather expected to be decent, these two could easily get into the 20s or 30s, maybe even higher.
any word if they will allow more than 250 fans yet

I don't think the governor will change that unless he sees significantly better COVID numbers. I doubt if pressure from any sports figures or groups would make a difference to him.

any word if they will allow more than 250 fans yet
Good for bit you make it so parents can go watch their kids play in both home and away games.
I sat in an away bleachers last week that probably could hold 500 people....TOTALLY EMPTY other than 3 folks working with the team. Now that is some first rate common sense!!

Reactions: oldfool2
Back on topic. I look for Draft to be a killer in class 2 this year. Very strong team last year with alot of great return players.

Riverheads is going to roll over everybody around here, Draft included. Draft will probably beat everyone else. Gap has very little depth up front but has good team speed on defense. Good luck to everybody but, I do not think Riverheads will face a team around here that has the combination of size and speed that the Tazewell team appeared to have.

Not so fast @BGfootball95, I look for Draft to have plenty to say in that final game of the regular season. While I agree that there likely isn’t a team locally with the size of Tazewell, I would argue sideline to sideline that Draft is every bit as fast if not faster. Like you I do believe those two are ahead of the others but I don’t see that they are that far apart from each other.
If asked I would say Gap is third with Staunton, Wilson and Fort knotted up tight closely behind that.

Gap has some good pieces but as you stated lack overall depth. Putting those good pieces in situations to succeed is the key. Playing both ways for those players may hurt if the D can’t get off the field in a timely manner.

Wilson has athletes and plenty of potential but also seem to lack the defense to keep good teams a little frustrated. They don’t need to be shut out good but last year they were beat up most games. Some of that was due to an erratic offense that put them in bad situations or didn’t control the clock enough. If that problem is solved then they can look for a brighter future.

Fort is replacing some significant playmakers so even with Bartley back there running hard, who else is the threat? Not saying they are a one man show but I hadn’t seen someone that is going to take another 25-40% of the load and present another scoring threat. Defensively they held a decent Rockbridge team in check but will they wear down playing against the smashmouth teams in the ‘doah? Potential is there but who are they?

Staunton is interesting in that they are replacing a huge part of their O with the loss to graduation of Will Dodd. There are plenty enough athletes that can make plays but how consistent will they be. Beating a Coleman lead East Rock team showed that they can and will compete this year. My question would again be about their identity. Who are they and what do they do well?

As they say, that is why they play the game. I just do not think the Draft team this year will be quite as good as last years version. I also believe Riverheads this year will be a little better then last year. That being said, we know what happened when the gladiators and cougars squared off last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT