ADVERTISEMENT

Augusta County Games Week 5-Be Aware of Time Changes

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
We are only one week away from the big showdown in Greenville but first we all have to get Week Five out of the way. The most important thing to note is that most schools have changed their kickoff times from 6:00 to 7:00. I would assume that was to correlate to the recent change to Daylight Savings Time. However, I don't think this change is universal so be sure to check with your particular school to get the correct time for your game. This week's four games of local interest are:

Buffalo Gap at Riverheads: Definitely a 7:00 start. The playoff hopes for the Bison took a serious hit last Friday with their surprising home loss to Wilson. According to the new ratings that just came out today, they are sitting in the five spot for only four playoff berths, and with the Gladiators next on their schedule, that cannot be good news for the Black and Gold. Oh of course we all know that with two county teams you can throw out the record books and all that jazz, but the Big Red simply has to be an overwhelming favorite in this one. The Bison will then have a good chance to get one more win over Class 3 Fort Defiance next week and maybe some other things could still come together to put them in the playoffs. Chances are they would not mind another trip to Stuarts Draft but we will cross that bridge if and when we get to it.

Stuarts Draft at Staunton: The Storm has been "calmed" on three consecutive weekends by other Augusta County teams and there is no reason to suspect that will change this week. So you can probably safely count on a one-sided Cougar win and possibly even another shutout as they have only given up a total of 7 points through their first four games. I "think" I read that this one will still be a 6:00 kick-off but PLEASE don't take my word for it and blame me later if that is wrong. Consult some sources that you know and trust them about the time, but I think I am "spot on" about my predicted result.

Fort Defiance at Wilson: Wow, how things can change around here! Friday night during the Riverheads/Staunton game, I commented to someone that it looked like the district race was going to come down to an SD/RHS battle for first, a BG/FD tussle for third, leaving the Wilson/Staunton winner on finale night as the team that would avoid the basement. At the time I did not realize what the Hornets were doing out at Buffalo Gap, so now I have to change my thinking on them entirely. They now have a chance to end the season with a three-game win streak and if they pull that off, they will be the third place finisher in the district and certainly not a bottom feeder. Now, just because I am saying nice things about you guys, don't get the idea that I suddenly "like" you, because after all, we all know that he DID step out of bounds!!!

Turner Ashby at Waynesboro: Congrats again to the Little Giants for their big win at East Rock last week and hopefully they will build upon that. However, that will likely not come into play until next season, since they have the unbeaten Knights visiting this week, followed by a road trip to play a good Broadway team next week. But it is a start and we will see how the Giants fare next year when they join the Shenandoah. Speaking of Turner Ashby, in addition to next week's game between SD and Riverheads expected to feature two unbeatens settling a district title, the same thing may be on tap in Bridgewater when Rockbridge County visits the Knights to settle the Valley District race. At the beginning of the season, who would have thought those would be the top two teams instead of the usual suspects of Spotswood and Harrisonburg?

Good luck to one and all and may the best teams win.....

Great preview as usual and everyone knows he stepped out. That was special group so I have nothing but respect for them. However I have to wonder if the official that was staring right down at the aforementioned OOB in the still shots we have all seen, was a graduate of Wilson.
I will only add this as an observation/question, is there a reason that Fort has not utilized Bartley more this year? I find it odd that he was their primary threat last year and has all but disappeared since the Rockbridge game.

Reactions: Bama1985
I watched the Fort/Draft game and I'm pretty sure Bartley got the ball about every play. May seem he is being under utilized because they have played Rockbridge, Riverheads and Draft. Those 3 teams are a combined 12-0 and have given up 77 points (half those points came in 2 games Tazwell with 17 and Broadway with 21) combined which is 6.4/game. Some stout defense.

I didn’t chart the game but he didn’t get it frequently against Draft or Riverheads. I agree that those are above average defenses and there are a few interesting options for Fort to use other than him. I stand by what I said though and would venture to say he may not have gotten the ball more than 10 times in either game. My statement/question wasn’t meant as anything other than to ask where he has been. He is certainly an athlete that can play against that competition as evidenced by his play last year against the district. Good luck to Fort as they try to play their way in to the playoffs.

Lol, you guys are still complaining about stepping out of bounds yet you forget that wasn't pass interference against Walker in the Endzone that gave you a chance to win the game in the last seconds later in the playoffs.... oh I miss those times. Ya, we beat you 3 games in a row and twice in the same season. You still have 0 non-1A titles hanging in your gym.

Now that is out of the way, Wilson could not have played worse against Riverheads this year but managed to against Draft the following week. The difference is Riverheads easily names its score against Wilson even if we play our best. If we do not fumble early in Draft territory, snap the ball over the head of the punter for a TD, turn the ball over on the kickoff and play about as bad as you can, that game is different. Not saying Draft isn't the better team and wins but no way they are 42 points better much less in a half.

This hurts to say but I think the Riverheads and Draft game will not be close. The Red team wins by at least 4 scores, I even think they hang 40 on Draft and possibly pitch the shut out. I have seen both in person and this is one of the better teams to play in Greenville. Draft has a good team, Riverheads is a great team. I think the hype is going to be more competitive than the final score. I would love to see you both end in a tie and no one wins, to be honest.

As far as Wilson, this is a pretty good group that is just starting to jell. Many had very limited practice due to wrestling. I really wish this was a full season. With the schedule we had I could have seen an 8-2, 7-3 type season.
I really like the new Coach, If he can get the numbers up and the athletes playing football in the future he will do well.

@WilsonFootball, the OOB is just a footnote in the book of Riverheads. If you are going to be mean spirited I will have to ask how much Goochland charges for rent since they own that field in Fishersville you guys play on, lol. All kidding aside though that was a phenomenal group that came through during those years. If I am completely honest I was surprised you guys didn’t win one during that stretch. With luck and the direction of the new coach, maybe it gets back there very soon.

@WilsonFootball, the OOB is just a footnote in the book of Riverheads. If you are going to be mean spirited I will have to ask how much Goochland charges for rent since they own that field in Fishersville you guys play on, lol. All kidding aside though that was a phenomenal group that came through during those years. If I am completely honest I was surprised you guys didn’t win one during that stretch. With luck and the direction of the new coach, maybe it gets back there very soon.
And how many Titles do the Green Hornets have? daaaaaaaaaa!

By the way when I listed this week's games, I failed to mention that Wednesday night we will have a big JV game out at the Gap where the visiting Gladiators will match unbeaten records with the Bison. This time tomorrow "someone" will still be unbeaten.........

Lol, you guys are still complaining about stepping out of bounds yet you forget that wasn't pass interference against Walker in the Endzone that gave you a chance to win the game in the last seconds later in the playoffs.... oh I miss those times. Ya, we beat you 3 games in a row and twice in the same season. You still have 0 non-1A titles hanging in your gym.

Now that is out of the way, Wilson could not have played worse against Riverheads this year but managed to against Draft the following week. The difference is Riverheads easily names its score against Wilson even if we play our best. If we do not fumble early in Draft territory, snap the ball over the head of the punter for a TD, turn the ball over on the kickoff and play about as bad as you can, that game is different. Not saying Draft isn't the better team and wins but no way they are 42 points better much less in a half.

This hurts to say but I think the Riverheads and Draft game will not be close. The Red team wins by at least 4 scores, I even think they hang 40 on Draft and possibly pitch the shut out. I have seen both in person and this is one of the better teams to play in Greenville. Draft has a good team, Riverheads is a great team. I think the hype is going to be more competitive than the final score. I would love to see you both end in a tie and no one wins, to be honest.

As far as Wilson, this is a pretty good group that is just starting to jell. Many had very limited practice due to wrestling. I really wish this was a full season. With the schedule we had I could have seen an 8-2, 7-3 type season.
I really like the new Coach, If he can get the numbers up and the athletes playing football in the future he will do well.
good ole mr wilson football, trying to stir up a hornets nest, xcross is the janitor at the high school, and he says that the trophy case is pretty full and needs someone to help dust off the 7 football trophies, and u was the first one he offered the job to, come on down and shine them up real nice, hopefully leave a spot for another one, GO BIG RED

TA at Waynesboro will be interesting. I can see Waynesboro being competitive or upsetting TA. TA has beaten East Rock twice (winless). Spottswood barely (who has 1 win). Harrisonburg (not great - won vs Waynesboro 6-0). If TA looks past Waynesboro they may be in for a tough night.

You could be on to something there. I have to admit that TA, although undefeated, has certainly not been overpowering.

Valley district is very weak this year. I hope Gap/Riv JV game is a good one because the varsity game will not be. I hope Draft will show up for Riverheads this year and at least give them a good first half, this could be Riverheads best team ever.

I take pride in being a janitor ! So did Jer. But these Championship Trophies are a bit much to dust ! Only room for 12 more in the case , then it's construction time !

Ah yes... the Red team always making excuses if you lose. Some things will never change. This is not as fun as when we actually were beating you but you guys started the out of bounds stuff and then say I am stirring up the nest??

@RedPrideNation_RollPride Mean spirited? Nah, I am never like that but since you brought up our troubles with Goochland I will just have to add we beat you head to head 35-24 the year you beat Goochland in the playoffs. I think you know exactly why we don't have any rings. Give us Coach Casto in that 10 year span and we win at least 6 titles playing in 1A. Your little stint in 2A proves that playing good teams for 5 weeks is much harder than steam rolling everyone until the Ship game...

@Bama1985 that picture is photo shopped. If it is not, I think the same person who counts your enrollment painted the lines and they are 4.74 inches too narrow. Who says we don't score after that. But OK, Ill give you he MAY have stepped out of bounds. We still won both games that year so hang that picture in your trophy case. Also, we don't get to go to the playoffs with three 0-10 teams getting in. For example, If we would happen to make the playoffs this year we would have to face Brookville in the first round as one of the smallest 3A schools. BIG difference compared to what you get to see playoff time.

@Xcross ahhh there he is..... we have the exact same as you in 2A which would be ZERO. I hope your tractor stays full with gas. As slow as that thing is I keep trying to find you but I think you are a ghost who just shows up when someone mentions 1A. Or fences... for some odd reason you are obsessed with fences...

Missing a normal season I think I should at least give you guys something to puff your chest about. It's not as fun because on the field you are so much better but it's still fun.

I gave compliments that seem to go unnoticed. I can't do that often because you would suck the remaining Oxygen out of Augusta County with those big heads you carry around.

The Red team is dominant this year, like I said earlier they will blow Draft out and roll everyone. This is a solid team that actually would compete in any division.

Good ole Football season.....

Ah yes... the Red team always making excuses if you lose. Some things will never change. This is not as fun as when we actually were beating you but you guys started the out of bounds stuff and then say I am stirring up the nest??

@RedPrideNation_RollPride Mean spirited? Nah, I am never like that but since you brought up our troubles with Goochland I will just have to add we beat you head to head 35-24 the year you beat Goochland in the playoffs. I think you know exactly why we don't have any rings. Give us Coach Casto in that 10 year span and we win at least 6 titles playing in 1A. Your little stint in 2A proves that playing good teams for 5 weeks is much harder than steam rolling everyone until the Ship game...

@Bama1985 that picture is photo shopped. If it is not, I think the same person who counts your enrollment painted the lines and they are 4.74 inches too narrow. Who says we don't score after that. But OK, Ill give you he MAY have stepped out of bounds. We still won both games that year so hang that picture in your trophy case. Also, we don't get to go to the playoffs with three 0-10 teams getting in. For example, If we would happen to make the playoffs this year we would have to face Brookville in the first round as one of the smallest 3A schools. BIG difference compared to what you get to see playoff time.

@Xcross ahhh there he is..... we have the exact same as you in 2A which would be ZERO. I hope your tractor stays full with gas. As slow as that thing is I keep trying to find you but I think you are a ghost who just shows up when someone mentions 1A. Or fences... for some odd reason you are obsessed with fences...

Missing a normal season I think I should at least give you guys something to puff your chest about. It's not as fun because on the field you are so much better but it's still fun.

I gave compliments that seem to go unnoticed. I can't do that often because you would suck the remaining Oxygen out of Augusta County with those big heads you carry around.

The Red team is dominant this year, like I said earlier they will blow Draft out and roll everyone. This is a solid team that actually would compete in any division.

Good ole Football season.....
Too funny. I only hope the others see the good natured fun.

@WilsonFootball, based off of the “we beat you the year you beat Goochland” line of thinking, we beat you the year you went to the championship. To me none of that is relative. You guys were 3-2 against us while Mac was at QB. He along with the RB’s you guys had were special, I absolutely agree with that.

That said the OOB game swung the advantage to you guys. I have no idea whether you guys score if he would have been called out. I will say both scores came on great plays he made with his feet and both were either 3rd or 4th and long when he scrambled.

Those two games in 2012 were amazing to be at and even ending up on the losing side I look back and smile. Who else goes for two with literally no time left in regulation in a playoff game? And yes there were crap calls against both in those games. I think back about the damage at the field and the mascot displayed off of a train bridge all being fuel to the fire. Man that was some good stuff, lol.

Reactions: WilsonFootball
@RedPrideNation_RollPride That was a great time to be involved in Wilson. Those games between our schools are still my favorite games. 5,000 fans 4 rows deep from the fence. Intense play with Rucks, Hanger, McCauley, Wright, BIg Mike, Casto Jr., Moore, King, Randy Armstrong.... names can go on forever with both teams....

It's why i said i thought that might have been one of the best teams you ever put on the field. This years team can play with them though.

Your journey continues, hopefully we can close the gap in the near future. You and Draft seem to have a more civil rivalry. Draft dislikes us more than we dislike them I believe but there is no question our 2 teams absolutely do not want the other to do well in any sport. It's why we can't let anyone destroy High School sports, these memories can never be replaced.

I agree completely, these rivalries are absolutely what make high school sports. So many nights with 3-5K lining the fences in Augusta county watching some really good football. I still say the 2016 team is in that discussion but this group is damn good. I will also say that I was disappointed that Logan didn’t get another one. He certainly contributed in 2010 but he came into his own in ‘11 and ‘12. Homerun hitter from anywhere on the field and probably the most patient back to ever play there (although Smiley is pretty patient too). Either way, it’s always more fun when everyone is playing at a high level. Hell Draft was pretty stout for a couple of years during that time as well.

WilsonFootball
My tractor is diesel , so it's not full of gas ! lol
Hope the Hornets get on track. Give the head coach a couple more years and he should turn things around .
Blow out games are no fun for either team but worse for the ones getting stomped !

@RedPrideNation_RollPride ya the 2016 team was also really good. The thing I think I remember the most is in 2015 when it was time for Ben Agnor to take over the reins and went down early in the season, maybe the opener against Lee? I felt really bad for him, but I believe Shafer (Spelling?) became the featured back? I was like you guys HAVE to run out of great backs at some point.... I remember Armstrong at QB and DE. Was a pretty good team for sure but I think this years team is better. #8 can't be stopped. I would hate to see if he got 20+ touches in a game. Not as fast as Moore but can turn it on and I don't think anyone in the secondary brings him down 1v1. You better have 3 helmets on that kid. He's special. Reminds me of Pickel from Gap years earlier. The defense is always what I am impressed the most about. The offense is what it is, execution on the line, great backs and they will pound you all game if they have to until they break one open. The only games I can even remember you guys losing are against teams that have really great defenses.

hey red pride nation, we need to tell Giovanna,s to get the network and put rhs football games on the big screen, and we will come down and watch the game and doing some eating, and maybe get some more guys from va preps to come down and join us, maybe XCROSS and mr Wilson, and a few others would join, XCROSS your pizza would be on the house just so we could meet the legend the myth and the hide and seek champion from Greenville, GO BIG RED

@WilsonFootball I agree that the losses over the last 8-10 years have been to stellar defenses. If I were to call out a few that were beyond special, 2016 Draft, 2015 Galax, 2013 Giles and 2011 Gretna. All four of these were not only able to stop the offense but were attacking and were in the backfield a lot. Wilson had an excellent D in ‘12 and ‘14 also but as a fan I didn’t feel we couldn’t move the ball on them. I personally felt we didn’t execute against them. The other four games after the first two series I knew we were in trouble. A special call out to the Galax LB that destroyed about every play in the state title game as well as Gretna’s #6 who lived on the Riverheads side of the LOS. Those were two very special individual players on great defenses. I know I am leaving out other great players but those two were standouts on great teams.

True, and they did accomplish something the others hadn’t, holding the Gladiators scoreless (although Galax was mere seconds from doing it also). Not to sound dismissive of ER but after a player or two were swapped around the following week that game would have been very different if played again. As good as the RH staff is at evaluation and usage of talent, there were some adjustments after that game that made a huge difference in the execution of the offense that year. All due respect to ER because they were on fire that year and definitely destroyed Riverheads 28-0 in that game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT