ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Lebanon 10, Wise Central 0

swva_havok_fan

VaPreps Varsity
Feb 23, 2016
Buchanan hurls no-hitter as Lebanon defeats Wise Central, 10-0
LEBANON, Va. – Lebanon Pioneers baseball coach Doc Adams sent a blunt message to his players Thursday afternoon.

“I threw them off the field during practice,” Adams said. “It’s been a while since I’ve done that, but I wanted to see a better attitude.”

The Pioneers responded Friday with a 10-0 victory in six innings over the Wise County Central Warriors at Doc Adams Field.

“I think I got their attention,” Adams said.

Sophomore Matthew Buchanan was the center of the attention for Lebanon Friday. The 6-foot-1 left-hander, who has already made a verbal commitment to play at the University of Virginia, struck out 12 en route to a no-hitter.

After posting a 5-0 record with an earned run average under 1.00 last season, Buchanan honed his mechanics over the summer by competing with the Georgia-based Team Elite travel squad which is based at the sprawling LakePoint sports complex.

“I put in a lot of work to get my arm ready for this season, and I felt good today,” Buchanan said.

Working quickly with a flawless motion, Buchanan overpowered the Warriors while allowing only two baserunners via a walk and hit-by-pitch.

So was Buchanan gunning for the no-hitter?

“Not really. I just try to stay calm, do what I can and let my fielders make plays,” Buchanan said.

The Pioneers gave their ace an early comfort zone as Logan Smith’s two-run homer highlighted a four-run first inning.

Buchanan cruised from that point with smart placement and a sizzling fastball.

First-year Central coach J.W. Salyers, who pitched at the minor league level for the Montreal Expos, offered a scouting report on the Lebanon prodigy.

“He has great poise, his mechanics are very sound and he’s a competitor. The kid has a bright future, no question about that,” Salyers said.

Salyers sought out an early challenge for his youthful team, which returned just three full-time starters.

“We knew Lebanon is good, and we’re trying to get where they are,” Salyers said. “We’ve got a lot of talent in our dugout. Right now, we’re learning how to compete.”

The learning process for Buchanan has included intensive work at the travel ball level since age 10. His Team Elite squad, which is packed with college-bound prospects, participates in tournaments around the East Coast.

“I had one weekend off all summer, but all the work helps,” said Buchanan, whose summer instructor is one-time Furman University pitching instructor Mike Ransone. “I like to compete out there on the mound.”

Adams had Buchanan on a pitch count of 75 Friday, and he threw a total of 79 pitches.

“I don’t keep up with no-hitters. I just wanted to let Matthew finish off the final batter,” Adams said.

Buchanan is the son of former Lebanon baseball and football player Aaron Buchanan. Former Lebanon and Emory & Henry standout running back Eric Buchanan is the uncle to Matthew.

The Pioneers (2-0) collected 10 hits, with Smith driving in three runs on three hits. Hunter Hertig supplied a two-run home run, Anthony Houchins and Cole Stoots bagged two hits apiece, and sophomore Preston Steele added a run-scoring double.

Steele, who also plays with Team Elite, has made a verbal commitment to play at Virginia Tech.

“We’ve got some ability, and that’s the reason I was on the guys hard in practice Thursday,” Adams said. “I don’t want to see them out here acting like a bunch of sandlot players. My first six guys in the lineup can hit with about anybody, and I feel pretty good about this effort against a good Wise Central ballteam.”

Buchanan said Thursday’s outburst by Adams paid dividends

“It got our attention,” Buchanan said. “We put things together today.”

Page county has pretty good young pitcher as well, I would say a match up with Lebanon sounds like it would be a good one

Reactions: BigWinners
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT