ADVERTISEMENT

Basham out for Byrd

@Hilltoperhokie I think it's interesting that @wikki says she "knows for a fact" but then says she heard from someone else. I'm not sure how you can "know for a fact" something is true when your source is secondary. Even if the source is an administrator, that source is still secondary because they are not a part of the team. Since we are stating facts, "I know for a fact" the administration at Glass isn't a reliable source when it comes to the intimate details of the football team.
Like I said I don't put anything that I know isn't true. This administration person knows it, trust me or not, don't care. If I told you the name you would believe me then, but not going to

Every school has issues that they have to deal with during a season. The question is how do you deal with the issue. Glass had over 20 players that are no longer allowed to be on the team because they created problems. Glass has set standards and those standards must be met to be a member of the team. Glass may have an issue tomorrow but that player(s) will be removed or the issue will be resolved. So yes woody has had issues at Glass but they have been dealt with and no longer exist. And you don't know who I am and that is cool but my sources are way better than yours. I bet your sources are better at Amherst. Good luck to your lancers! Just keep Glass out of it.
thanks,
I also heard about that at the beginning about some of the players that were no longer able to play. Woody has made Glass what it is and that is not something they were used to, but they still had a few problems. Actually I have good sources.

Like I said I don't put anything that I know isn't true. This administration person knows it, trust me or not, don't care. If I told you the name you would believe me then, but not going to
Like @VolNation85 said administration does not know what is up. If your source is not Jeff Woody, Jamar Lovelace, Bryan Burford, Chris Gardner, Daryl Robetson, Jermaine Johnson, or Jawad Douglas then your source is not good. We keep saying it but you are not listening, those are the only people that have a handle on Glass football. So your source is no good. Just drop it and keep talking up your boys.

It's not about trusting you or not but as @Hilltoperhokie stated, it's about spreading a false perception about a program or coach (intentional or unintentional). The coaches and players at all schools (not just Glass) work hard to build their programs and don't need outsiders commenting on their organization.

If y'all think this young man will not be playing Friday, then you are fooling yourselves! He will be there -book it!

Like @VolNation85 said administration does not know what is up. If your source is not Jeff Woody, Jamar Lovelace, Bryan Burford, Chris Gardner, Daryl Robetson, Jermaine Johnson, or Jawad Douglas then your source is not good. We keep saying it but you are not listening, those are the only people that have a handle on Glass football. So your source is no good. Just drop it and keep talking up your boys.[/QUOTE
ha ha, I will never give you the name and it might be one of these guys.. Sometimes people say things that you might not know about

It's not about trusting you or not but as @Hilltoperhokie stated, it's about spreading a false perception about a program or coach (intentional or unintentional). The coaches and players at all schools (not just Glass) work hard to build their programs and don't need outsiders commenting on their organization.
I don't make false statements.

Lol I didn’t say you were making a false statement. I said you may be unintentionally spreading false perceptions because you were misinformed.
Not misinformed but I want say anything else because the last thing I want is to hurt players.

I will be the voice of reason here...social media has gotten out of control in high school sports. I know Basham is a great player but to break a story on Twitter/Roanoke Times on Tuesday about a kid quitting (if that is what happened) does not make sense to me. He is a 16-17 year old kid that made a decision to leave the team. He still lives in the community and I am sure deals with other issues when not between the lines. Football is a great game but we forget as a society that these kids are kids.

What does social media have to do with it? You're trying to scapegoat something that A) isn't there and B) isn't needed. You act like it was a tweet rumo someone sent out, all they sent out was the link to the paper, it's fundamentally no different than when paperboys used to shout headlines to get someone to buy a paper.

Part of the point of journalism is non-biased reporting. It means the good and the bad because you know well we do not live in a fantasy world. If only the good stuff is to be reported you'd be better off not having news at all. The article also at no point says he quit or confirms affirmatively or negatively his status on the team. It simply says he wouldn't play Friday, that is all the confirmation Highfill gave.

Here's what happened: something transpired at some point involving Basham. Someone told someone who eventually got it to a reporter. The reporter followed up, as one should, and thereafter decided a star RB missing a game is newsworthy (it is), wrote the article up and the editor approved it. The @timesland account tweeted the link to the story and that was it.

The reasons why he is not playing and perhaps no longer on the team is based ENTIRELY off what you read in this thread.

If Marcus Parker had quit the Salem program 25 years ago I can guaran-damn-tee you it'd have been in the Times. Basham is a big time name in the area and has been for 4 years and his team is good enough that such an occasion merits being newsworthy. It's how the spotlight works. You can't just like it when it says he ran for 350 yards and 6 TDs and does Habitat for Humanity when he takes breaks from being at the soup kitchen.

Not misinformed but I want say anything else because the last thing I want is to hurt players.
You have been a responsible poster over the years so your latest statement earns you the benefit of the doubt with me. My opinion is you would have been better off not even starting down this road and you certainly could have made a better choice than stating "knowing for a fact." Anybody that has been in this area for any reasonable length of time knows it has been a very long time since anyone in the E. C. Glass administration has had a clue about the football program. Woody was a good hire and start but, the administration has a long row to hoe before their credibility is restored.

You have been a responsible poster over the years so your latest statement earns you the benefit of the doubt with me. My opinion is you would have been better off not even starting down this road and you certainly could have made a better choice than stating "knowing for a fact." Anybody that has been in this area for any reasonable length of time knows it has been a very long time since anyone in the E. C. Glass administration has had a clue about the football program. Woody was a good hire and start but, the administration has a long row to hoe before their credibility is restored.
If I could only say the name then people would believe me but I can't. Administration was the term I used instead of giving it away since they are in the football program

Like @VolNation85 said administration does not know what is up. If your source is not Jeff Woody, Jamar Lovelace, Bryan Burford, Chris Gardner, Daryl Robetson, Jermaine Johnson, or Jawad Douglas then your source is not good. We keep saying it but you are not listening, those are the only people that have a handle on Glass football. So your source is no good. Just drop it and keep talking up your boys.
#4 is that you ?

Reactions: lyhsports
If I could only say the name then people would believe me but I can't. Administration was the term I used instead of giving it away since they are in the football program
That was at the beginning of the season but maybe not now

I believe you and think the story has changed a little. We never said Glass did not have issues, every program has issues. I have stated multiple times that Glass has removed players and will continue to remove players that do not meet expectations. Our point is that any issue that comes up at Glass is handled immediately and properly. A player was removed from the team today for failing to meet expectations. The original post was about Amherst having issues that were not dealt with. I know who your source is, there are only 4 principals and 1 ad at Glass. Only one of them goes to the Y in Wyndhurst. That "administrator" does not know Glass football. I have nothing but respect for @wikki she is a very knowledgeable and super Amherst fan. Unfortunately you mis represented Glass football and it has upset some Glass folks. Glass has a reputation for being a football "wasteland". However, there is a new sheriff in town and he is changing Glass football one kid at a time. This is my last post on this subject and hope that you continue to post about your program but ask you to not post negatively about Glass. I will never post negative things about the Amherst program or any other program.

That was at the beginning of the season but maybe not now
This last statement only serves to weaken your position as someone no longer in the program would no longer have day to day access and, more importantly, might have an agenda or an axe to grind. You're only digging yourself a deeper hole. Let it go and concentrate on your Lancers.

He is back on the team, but coach isn’t letting him play this week.
This last statement only serves to weaken your position as someone no longer in the program would no longer have day to day access and, more importantly, might have an agenda or an axe to grind. You're only digging yourself a deeper hole. Let it go and concentrate on your Lancers.
no it doesn't

I believe you and think the story has changed a little. We never said Glass did not have issues, every program has issues. I have stated multiple times that Glass has removed players and will continue to remove players that do not meet expectations. Our point is that any issue that comes up at Glass is handled immediately and properly. A player was removed from the team today for failing to meet expectations. The original post was about Amherst having issues that were not dealt with. I know who your source is, there are only 4 principals and 1 ad at Glass. Only one of them goes to the Y in Wyndhurst. That "administrator" does not know Glass football. I have nothing but respect for @wikki she is a very knowledgeable and super Amherst fan. Unfortunately you mis represented Glass football and it has upset some Glass folks. Glass has a reputation for being a football "wasteland". However, there is a new sheriff in town and he is changing Glass football one kid at a time. This is my last post on this subject and hope that you continue to post about your program but ask you to not post negatively about Glass. I will never post negative things about the Amherst program or any other program.
I stick t
not talking about any of those people at all. Negative because someone said issues. All teams have issues. I gave Coach Woody credit for turning the program around also, look how good Glass is now and it is because is him. He did the same for Brookville

I stick t

not talking about any of those people at all. Negative because someone said issues. All teams have issues. I gave Coach Woody credit for turning the program around also, look how good Glass is now and it is because is him. He did the same for Brookville
Didn't mean to be negative, saying issues is what it is. I know that Woody has turned that program around and have given him credit for it. Their record proves it. I talk to Glass people all the time and have had conversations several who are really close friends of mine. We all discuss high school football. Anyway done with the subject

Reactions: Hilltoperhokie
Sometimes, a little tough love is what these kids need. If he's back on the team and I were the coach, he'd be on the bench tonight. Actions have consequences, and kids need to learn that. Hopefully, he emerges from this a better person.

ADVERTISEMENT