ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball weird play..Help...

ed r forshey

VaPreps Hall of Famer
Jun 16, 2001
A attempts to shoot at wrong basket
B fouls A during the attempt
Ball goes in wrong basket
Does the points count for wrong team or not?

I say the points don't count cause its a common foul, cause you can't really shoot at wrong basket, and the foul would stop the play.

This was asked on WVPreps and thought you guys could get me a correct answer.

I am assuming the foul counts also. However, since the person was not shooting at their basket I also assume no fouls shots would be attempted (unless in the bonus). Is that correct.

My guess

Basket counts for team B but A1 gets two foul shots on own goal. Basketball went through the hoop so it's two points for team B but because A1 was fouled in the act of shooting (just from really far away) so free throws will be shot. Since no basket was made for team A A1 will shoot two free throws.

Now someone needs to show up and tell how he/she would call it and if there is a case to go by.

Re: My guess

The foul would have to count, cause a foul can happen at any place on the court and at any place.

The reason I'm thinking the 2 points wouldn't count was because the foul would kill the play at that point cause its just a common floor foul, you are not shooting a shot.

Another Guesstimate

My thought would be the 2 points count for whoevers basket that is; anytime the ball goes through the basket there are points that have to be accounted for.

I agree that the player fouled would shoot a free throw at his own basket as he was fouled in the act of shooting, I do not think the rules would specify which basket he has to be shooting at. I also think he would only get 1 shot because the basket he scored counted!

Never thought of them wiping off, but I will bow to your experience. it seemed a foul is a foul, but it would be a strange situation no matter what.

Re: Another Guesstimate

I am not a ref nor play one on TV, bur do play one in the stands, but that hardly counts.

My interpretation of the events match yours.

Re: Basketball weird play

Gretna was playing at Magna Vista in mid 90s. Gretna was inbounding ball in backcourt with less than 10 seconds on clock . I believe it was end of first half. there was a player on gretna's bench who could do very little except shoot a 3 pointer once in a great while. The coach put him in the game for a "last second shot". ball was inbounded to him and he immediately shot ball from corner at Magna vista's basket. I can't remember if he made it or not.

You remember all that...

...yet you don't remember if he made it? What kind of a story is that?

My two cents:

Shot does NOT count if foul occurs prior to ball going in basket. Player was NOT in act of shooting, because it was obvious he was not attempting a shot at his OWN goal. He would get NO ft's either, unless his team is in the bonus. In that case, 1+1 or 2 shots would be attempted at the correct goal.

Count the points as a team basket for the team where the basket was made. Go to the correct basket and shoot the free throw.
Page 40 Rule 5-2 art.3 in the rule book.
The foul will count against the offending player.
Page 26 Rule 4-5 Art. 4 in the rule book.

The rules state that a foul kills the ball immediately EXCEPT during a try for goal. Shooting at the opposing goal, by rule, is not a try. Therefore, the basket would not count if the foul occurred prior to the ball entering the basket. The foul would be a common foul and shots would only be taken if the offended team was in the bonus. Gymrat hit it right on the nose. And Gymrat, I still come around every now and then. Hope you're doing well.

It is in the case book that the ball goes dead when the foul occurs when shooting at the wrong basket. Foul shots shots would be given if the fouled team was in the bonus. In the rule book this is not listed as one of the things that causes the ball to go dead. Thanks for making me dig deeper for the correct call.

Well, whadya know...

...you are still around. Great to hear from you and hope you are well! Also good to know I remembered the rule correctly...guess the mind's a bit ahead of the knees:)

Re: You remember all that...

I have asked about this play to 10 officials and I have gotten 10 different answers and no one has gotten it right. Weird play is not the problem here.

You may have gotten 10...

...different answers (like to hear some of em, jeez) but you should stick with HOOPSREF's opinion, he's right most of the time:)

Re: You remember all that...

Originally posted by bowlingref:
I have asked about this play to 10 officials and I have gotten 10 different answers and no one has gotten it right. Weird play is not the problem here.

There's one answer. gymrat10 and HOOPSREF gave it to you.

If the foul occurs befoe the ball goes through the basket, the basket does not count as the ball is dead when the foul occurs.

I found the correct answer in the case book. I was just wondering how many refs knew the correct answer. Most of the replies have been count the basket or I just plain do not know.

You gotta remember, not all of the responders on this forum are cert refs, so you just got some opinions, or guesses as one guy admitted, to your question. Wait for a reply from HOOPSREF or FBREF....they're the pros and know their stuff...but definitely keep asking-that's what the board is for. It wouldn't surprise me though if you found some refs that got the rule wrong.

I think there were a lot of guesses but it takes a real man to admit that he really doesn't know.

That's very true...

...and it is indeed a weird play, one that very seldom if ever happens. Those kinds of plays (and lack of them in reality) sure do tax the memory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT