ADVERTISEMENT

BATTLEFIELD DIST. RANKINGS WEEK 7

skynard1

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 12, 2009
Interesting week in the battlefield dist. this week as JM came with in a whisker of getting beat by chancellor a team I thought had no chance. spotsy that looked done for the year after last weeks awful showing at courtland and gave the third ranked team KG a fit. here we go remember coaches and fans don't take my picks personal as they are just my opinions!

# 1 COURTLAND: got to put the cougars back on top this week as expected ran over a very under manned caroline team. you have to play everyone on the schedule but a game like this is sort of like a # 16 team playing a # 1 team in the playoffs. the game does you no good and may cause you to get one of your starters hurt that you need in the playoffs. courtland still has that powerful running game and passes when they need too but playing the bottom teams in the district they don't need too! think finally I can separate them from the jackets. courtland right now has a little better defense than JM but that's for now. courtland's defense is not setting the world on fire either as I give them only a c rating but I feel right now they are better than the jackets. that don't mean when they play JM I will favor courtland because a lot of time and injuries can happen before the last game of the year! also is the cougars defense really better than JM as the cougars have not played any good offenses since Louisa and we know how many yards and td's Louisa put on courtland. so the cougar defense really hasn't been tested!

# 2 JAMES MONROE: I was surprised last week when I made the comment about the JM defense not playing well and I guess it offended BIG GRIFF! Ray Charles could see this. even his father on JM tv said the same thing as I did so if you watch the games like I have that is obvious! watched the game on tv and they could not stop chancellor on defense and that stud sophomore ran and passed them to death.what a qb he is and is going to be.
the chargers had 22 first downs and a total of over 400 total yards 239 rushing 188 passing. take nothing away from a team on the rise with a good qb but the chargers hasn't had that much offense all season. I really studied it on tv and JM missed a ton of tackles and to be honest they took the chargers too lightly and that is understandable when you play a 1 and 5 team. I have faith in the hof coach serbay and his fine veteran staff as they will make the adjustments to sure up the defense before courtland. I stated last week if they go in that courtland game playing rush defense like they played against chancellor and Petersburg they will need to score 50 points to beat the cougars and eliminated early in the playoffs. the problem when they play a ball control offensive team like courtland they may not have enough possessions to score that many points. my friend herman griffin and bob Blackburn interviewed coach serbay at the end of the game and he acknowledged the defense problems they have and said they are working hard in practice to fix it. I know the hof coach he and his staff will correct it. one thing I noticed and serb stated they made adjustments at the half and it did slow down chancellor as they started making tackles rather than miss them.one thing I noticed that they entered scroggins playing lb on defense and promptly made about 4 tackles. herman k asked him about it and he said scroggins was his best lb on the team. boy is that dangerous as that gives your starting qb twice the chance to get hurt. believe me JM couldn't afford to lose him but with the way the defense is playing he has no choice.
now for the positive of the jackets. they have a offense that can score on you at the spur of the moment. scroggins is by far the best qb in the district running and passing. they have about 4 receivers that can take a 5 yd out or bubble screen to the house at a blink of the eye! they have improved the running game as that eura kid is quick and strong for his size even though he didn't have a lot of yards as they had to pass to play catch up all game. I have faith the defense will get straightened out by courtland and playoff time and will go far in the playoffs.

# 3 CHANCELLOR: Yes the chargers even though have but 1 win so far imo have improved and passed KG for third place. they played a whale of a game at JM and almost pulled off the upset of the year. I posted last season that Jason brown is going to be the best qb in charger history and he is on his way. I am going on a limb and say with his mobility height and qb savvy by the time he graduates he may be a d1 prospect. has everything a d1 qb has a gun for a arm height and mobility. long way to go but if he works hard no doubt he can achieve that goal. problem is I see really nothing but average talent with him but on the good side they only have 8 seniors some not playing. this is a trial for chancellor. lets see if the game against JM was no fluke as they have spotsy this week and if they beat them and play a good courtland team even then beat their closes competitor KG at the end of the year they will deserve to be ranked the third best team in the district imo. that's would be quite an accomplishment from last year and the slow start this year. good luck chs I wish you well.

#4 KING GEORGE: sorry coach smith I had to drop the foxes to 4th. not your fault but the loss of your stud jecolby white has taken the toll on the team. white imo was one of the best backs in the district also a good db and a threat to pass also. hope he can get back soon as he is missed greatly. the defense has been a problem all season and don't look like it going to get any better. really thought you could take care of a disgruntled spotsy team easily but the game wasn't decided until late in the game. wish you well and stand by to see if chancellor game against JM was a fluke and they stump their toe and you will move back up!

#5 SPOTSY: my boys from post oak I am so proud of you. after last game against courtland I saw one of the worse displays of football I have ever seen. you didn't win but you played a great game and had a shot until a late td by KG. it says a lot about you guys to look that bad against courtland pick your self up by the boot straps and play like a spotsy knight should hard till the end. I also give the coaching staff credit for getting you together and secure a sinking ship. still may have a shot against chancellor this week as the chargers may suffer a let down after that JM loss so play hard and show respect for this game! good luck !

# 6 CAROLINE: feel sorry for coach yeates and the cavaliers. none of this is your fault as bad administration choices in coaching over the years caused your heart aches. well you got the right coach now and I stress be patient with him. you still have one shot at a win against spotsy at the end of the year. I give all the credit in the world to those 20 players that has stuck this season out. good luck the rest of the way!
Ok folks there they are really embarrassing to have the third place team in the district with but 1 win but I have to tell it like it is! season is winding down and looks like 2 teams headed for the playoffs and if their is another in the district make it I don't want to see the results in the first round of the playoffs. good luck everyone and ain't high school football great!
This post was edited on 10/19 8:36 PM by skynard1

This post was edited on 10/19 10:08 PM by skynard1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT