ADVERTISEMENT

Best Appomattox/Stuarts Draft football players you have seen

Nov 6, 2018
I have seen a lot of stuarts draft football players over the last about 30 years. Two that stand out in my mind from the past are Brock Johnson and Eric Wells. Wells was a bull. I watched him play fullback and middle linebacker. He was a state champion heavy weight wrestler as well. He was not very tall, maybe 5'9". Weighed about 200-215. I believe he went to a small school for atleast a year and had some big rushing numbers. Brock Johnson was similar height, not as heavy, but built and had speed to burn. I think he placed every year in the state track meet. I don't think he played at the next level. I know their was a Coffey or two that other family members of mine talked about but, they were a little before my time. Big Will Jones from last year has to be mentioned. I saw him dominate some good sized, good football players from Gap. I don't know the Appomattox kids very well but I know they have had a lot of talent recently. A few years ago they demolished my Bison in the playoffs. A lot of really good athletes on that team that I believe went on to play at places like Liberty and Appalachian State.

Scruggs went to Liberty. Graves went to NC STATE some went to Appalachian and some went to UVA Wise.

One of the Coffeys was Jack back in the late 80’s. Also had a stud lineman around that time last name Yount that was a beast. Had a few good runs but seemed to run into Lunenburg in playoffs.

I have seen a lot of stuarts draft football players over the last about 30 years. Two that stand out in my mind from the past are Brock Johnson and Eric Wells. Wells was a bull. I watched him play fullback and middle linebacker. He was a state champion heavy weight wrestler as well. He was not very tall, maybe 5'9". Weighed about 200-215. I believe he went to a small school for atleast a year and had some big rushing numbers. Brock Johnson was similar height, not as heavy, but built and had speed to burn. I think he placed every year in the state track meet. I don't think he played at the next level. I know their was a Coffey or two that other family members of mine talked about but, they were a little before my time. Big Will Jones from last year has to be mentioned. I saw him dominate some good sized, good football players from Gap. I don't know the Appomattox kids very well but I know they have had a lot of talent recently. A few years ago they demolished my Bison in the playoffs. A lot of really good athletes on that team that I believe went on to play at places like Liberty and Appalachian State.
The Veney Twins could turn it on when they wanted to. Robert brooks was another good one. I remember something about a diggs that was a Rb that was having some good years before blowing out a knee or something.

Neat story is that probably the best football player to go to Draft is Shon Bell but he never played football there. Believe his Father was in the Army and they lived in Germany most of his High School years. Moved back to Draft too late during his senior year to play. Went on to play at Clinch Valley (UVA Wise now) and then with the Baltimore Ravens. Believe he won a Superbowl with them.

Scruggs and Buster Henderson are two best Appomattox players I've ever seen. Scruggs was such a dominant force on both sides of ball.
I absolutely agree. Scruggs was a force of one and buster never got the credit he really deserved being shadowed by graves. Every team covered graves hard which left buster open, was actually very funny at times. Scruggs has the nickname of the General at Liberty now and he is a team leader same as he was at Appo.

Brock Johnson did go to maybe it was the apprentice school, but saying he didn't doesn't tell the story. He had SERIOUS attention from just about every school in the nation, but off the field things ended that.

One of the Coffeys was Jack back in the late 80’s. Also had a stud lineman around that time last name Yount that was a beast. Had a few good runs but seemed to run into Lunenburg in playoffs.

That would be Jody Yount.

The Veney Twins could turn it on when they wanted to. Robert brooks was another good one. I remember something about a diggs that was a Rb that was having some good years before blowing out a knee or something.

Elijah and Lamar. And I believe the Diggs you are thinking about was the young man from Waynesboro, but his name escapes me at the moment

Reactions: BGfootball95
I absolutely agree. Scruggs was a force of one and buster never got the credit he really deserved being shadowed by graves. Every team covered graves hard which left buster open, was actually very funny at times. Scruggs has the nickname of the General at Liberty now and he is a team leader same as he was at Appo.
I know Graves was higher rated by the recruiting services but to me, it was stunningly clear who the best player on those teams actually was and it was Scruggs. I understand he didn't have a college future as a QB but he was an absolutely dominant defender as well. Graves was a very good player but you could take him out of a game with the right scheme. But with Scruggs, there was absolutely no way to keep him from wrecking havoc on defense and moving the chains on offense. One of the better players I've seen in the last decade or so.
Henderson was effective on offense but to me he really shined on defense. Then he went to UVAW and was arguably their best player at LB as well.

I will say, Lawing and the two RBs on this year's team were very, very good. Lawings improvement under center has been excellent.

Reactions: oldfool2 and Bo Bob
Brock Johnson did go to maybe it was the apprentice school, but saying he didn't doesn't tell the story. He had SERIOUS attention from just about every school in the nation, but off the field things ended that.

Elijah and Lamar. And I believe the Diggs you are thinking about was the young man from Waynesboro, but his name escapes me at the moment
@Gunz41, I know Jody, worked with him for 20+ years. Great fella

Best Appomattox player I have seen has been Javon Scruggs. Kenny Scott I know was great but I wasn't following as close back then. Devon Graves might have had the highest ceiling of the players I have seen but didn't have the competitive, "I'm the alpha on the field" mindset that Scruggs had.
Buster Henderson was under rated in my opinion. He made a lot of plays on both sides of the ball and was huge in the first championship.
Delonte Kelso was another who I felt never really got the accolades he deserved. Beast on defense and wasn't needed because of our depth on offense but when put in we never missed a beat. He had a bit more size to him as well (state champion in the hurdles too, so you know there was speed there).
Scruggs though was just a different animal. Great passer and just as much a threat to run the ball. They truly were a "pick your poison" offense. If a teams decided to try to stop the run we opened it up and picked them apart. If they moved to stop that we would gash them for 12-20 yards a pop.
Scruggs worked each day like he needed the practice more than everyone else and played like a "general" and lead his team through his fierce competitiveness and lights out playing.
I always said he was the epitome of confident but not cocky! He respected teams and players but he feared no one!
What a pleasurer to have watch him!

Reactions: oldfool2 and TS69

I had been told that both Wells and Johnson had serious national attention early in their high school careers.

Neat story is that probably the best football player to go to Draft is Shon Bell but he never played football there. Believe his Father was in the Army and they lived in Germany most of his High School years. Moved back to Draft too late during his senior year to play. Went on to play at Clinch Valley (UVA Wise now) and then with the Baltimore Ravens. Believe he won a Superbowl with them.
I remember watching Bell wrestle. He was really tall, and really good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT