ADVERTISEMENT

Best Defensive Unit in the State

How many does EV return on the defensive side of the ball?
There are 4 top-notch players who graduated that were serious contributors on the defense, 3 of those being in the secondary. They definitely have the talent to replace them. Time will tell if they can rise up to do it at a high level in November when it counts against the big-boys.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Not sure how anyone can put GW in the conversation, but leave Blacksburg’s defense out. Blacksburg lost a good amount of that defensive line , Beck and Van Gilder, but they still return Brian Mitchell, Cole epperly and drew babcock. I’m not a Blacksburg guy, so I don’t know the others. But I’d put a Blacksburg defense with returners that have been a part of a successful defense over GW any day.

Most of Blacksburg’s defensive position coaches are returning on new head coach Sloss’ staff. There are some holes to fill, particularly Gideon Driscoll, who was full beast mode for the Bruins in ‘17 up front, and Josh VanGilder at LB. However, UVA commit Tiquest Trey returns at one corner, Brian Mitchell is a more than capable FS, Epperley and Babcock are playmakers in the middle and there are some interesting players up front, including the Norris brothers (Donald and Darius) and Tim Sawyers. If Blacksburg’s defense suffers any drop-off it won’t be much of one - not with the coaching staff and a good nucleus of returning starters and talented newcomers.

Reactions: lyhsports
Thanks for the honorable mention reference, you are pretty close. Courtland lost around 20 seniors ftom last year. However, as crazy as it may sound, the team was lead by Juniors and Sophs. The offense will be very special that is front loaded with very talented tailbacks. The QB, is the cog, very unknown but very talented runner and passer (when that happens). Right hand to the good lord, fastest kid in the state at any level, hates track though. Defense will be real good, JC Hall defense usually is. We have size and alot of it, been blessed last several years with lots of big kids. JV team had alot of real good defenders, also watch out for a new Soph to start at LB, 6'2 230 ish, just a great athlectic kid with a motor. Being recruited quietly by several D1 and D2 schools, will here alot from him over the next few years. Overall I would rate this years D starting out as a 7 out of 10, one that gets better as the games go by. D line will be strong point, the rest are just good solid fundamentally sound players.

Thanks for the honorable mention reference, you are pretty close. Courtland lost around 20 seniors ftom last year. However, as crazy as it may sound, the team was lead by Juniors and Sophs. The offense will be very special that is front loaded with very talented tailbacks. The QB, is the cog, very unknown but very talented runner and passer (when that happens). Right hand to the good lord, fastest kid in the state at any level, hates track though. Defense will be real good, JC Hall defense usually is. We have size and alot of it, been blessed last several years with lots of big kids. JV team had alot of real good defenders, also watch out for a new Soph to start at LB, 6'2 230 ish, just a great athlectic kid with a motor. Being recruited quietly by several D1 and D2 schools, will here alot from him over the next few years. Overall I would rate this years D starting out as a 7 out of 10, one that gets better as the games go by. D line will be strong point, the rest are just good solid fundamentally sound players.
I love it Courtland. I hope to see your boys play EV this year. Hoos, you and I seem like the only ones that have to sell our teams on here but, hell, I love it! Good luck to your boys this year.

Looking forward to seeing that sophomore LB! The young Lions and coaching staff better have their big boy pants on week 1. I know Courtland will, especially in the Cougar Den. @courtlandcougars1987 are you talking about the same QB as last year? I thought he was pretty fast, but that the RB White was faster. Also, do you think the Cougars will run some more spread and read option than usual? They have all the personnel to do it.

I'm betting the Courtland/EV game will go much differently from last year's, because Courtland has EV's number most years, but EV should still win.

Last edited:
Honestly,
I think EV wins in the den, only because they will have a pretty decent passing offense to go along with the run, close game. Really go either way, mistakes will tell the difference. Yes same QB and no the RB is not faster. I would love for them yo run more spread or option, they did try sc ome option last year. Just count on alot of the wing t, JC just loves to run, especially with the horses back this year.

Honestly,
I think EV wins in the den, only because they will have a pretty decent passing offense to go along with the run, close game. Really go either way, mistakes will tell the difference. Yes same QB and no the RB is not faster. I would love for them yo run more spread or option, they did try sc ome option last year. Just count on alot of the wing t, JC just loves to run, especially with the horses back this year.
Interesting because compared to EV last year Courtland didn’t have much size at all. The ones who did have any size were not athletic and were gassed by halftime.

Funny,
NG was 345 lbs and RDT was 310 lbs and LDT was 285/290 as a Soph. The couple youngsters who rotated in were both in the 260/280 range. The Sophs only issue is that he was 5'10 maybe? All the others were 6'0 or taller and during that game, Court had 4 starers suspended, two were from the D line.

KF will be VERY tough up the middle.

Lost Chris Shearin to IMG, really good corner.

With the athletes though I don't know how big of a loss it'll be. Some re-tooling definitely needed but I have a ton of faith in their defensive line and linebackers.

I don't expect much of a drop off defensively and possibly a little more buy in following last season.

Great things coming for Kings Fork!

@ChancellorFan or any Fredericksburg fan, any rumblings about Chancellor yet, specifically the defense? They hired a new defensive coordinator, Jeff Drugatz who was on the Massaponax staff the last couple of years, Charlottesville's before that, and Riverbend's before that.

Sorry so late in responding. Been a busy spring and summer. But lets say ... Chancellor before that. I love the way the Chargers are developing. There is a difference in developing a team and developing a program. The Charger program is young yet, but developing a sound foundation.

Funny,
NG was 345 lbs and RDT was 310 lbs and LDT was 285/290 as a Soph. The couple youngsters who rotated in were both in the 260/280 range. The Sophs only issue is that he was 5'10 maybe? All the others were 6'0 or taller and during that game, Court had 4 starers suspended, two were from the D line.
Have you heard of any Courtland players leaving yet?

Reactions: OCBoy
@ChancellorFan how do you think they will fare in the district this year? Any predictions?

Its been a different spring and summer for me this year. I haven't been able to get a peek at what everyone else is bringing to the table. I will say this. EV is boss in the Battlefield until another team shows them they are not. Chancellor has the potential to rattle some cages. But I just don't have enough info to go further than that.

Because there are many decent to good teams in this area and the kids have options. There's always transferring based on specific team needs amongst the Fredericksburg and Richmond area schools. Louisa picked up a much needed good one this year as well. Courtland always has incoming transfers at the RB spots.

Reactions: hamspear
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT