ADVERTISEMENT

Best Passing Game 4A

Sherando, Dinwiddie, and Eastern View come to the top of my head as having some of the best returning passing games. Most of the top 4A teams (including these three) are run heavy, so those three passing games stand out. All three return experienced and great QBs. Monacan had a great passing game last year, but their QB graduated so they will be unproven this year. Dinwiddie lost one of their top receivers to transfer, but I don't expect them to miss much of a beat, if any. Salem returns their QB and a couple of good TE's, but graduated their best (and pretty much only one used last year) receiver, so they'll be a little unproven.

Last edited:
Sherando, Dinwiddie, and Eastern View come to the top of my head as having some of the best returning passing games. Most of the top 4A teams (including these three) are run heavy, so those three passing games stand out. All three return experienced and great QBs. Monacan had a great passing game last year, but their QB graduated so they will be unproven this year. Dinwiddie lost one of their top receivers to transfer, but I don't expect them to miss much of a beat, if any. Salem returns their QB and a couple of good TE's, but graduated their best (and pretty much only one used last year) receiver, so they'll be a little unproven.
All I gotta say is Los Poole (1,600 passing yards, 19 TDs and 3 ints) and Shawn Watlington Jr. (36 receptions, 904 yards, and 12 TDs as a sophomore) return. My paycheck for anyone to prove a better duo in 4a (Terry and Johnston, not buying it!). Throw in Kendrell McCary, Carl Poole Jr., and Quenton Elam and Danville will be as deep as anyone in the passing game.

I realize you are on mission to promote your players on GW that you think will take your team to the Final , I hope you have a great season. Best of luck

All I gotta say is Los Poole (1,600 passing yards, 19 TDs and 3 ints) and Shawn Watlington Jr. (36 receptions, 904 yards, and 12 TDs as a sophomore) return. My paycheck for anyone to prove a better duo in 4a (Terry and Johnston, not buying it!). Throw in Kendrell McCary, Carl Poole Jr., and Quenton Elam and Danville will be as deep as anyone in the passing game.

Man I was expecting you to throw out some out of this world numbers out there.. not to bring you down but those are good but not eye popping. So much talk, then ehhh. Also over half the QB's production to 1 receiver? Did those two players not play in the game against Salem? I'm sure they are very good players, but the best. I think very very debatable. When my older son was a Soph. he threw for 28 TD's and 2400 yds and he was the third best QB in the region that year. I love your passion for your team, but I always have to read your posts with the HYPE filter. I don't know what your paycheck is, but I think the last bet you made on here didn't go well for you.

Aah, DSH, don’t forget Bburg returns Coffey, Babcock and Epperley. They’ve all caught critical passes before now. If the O-line can give Johnston some time, they’ll be fine in the passing game.
Babbadook, Mocha Caramal Coffee..Poole and Watlington by a mile! Lol!!
Just talking junk Cb2018, Blacksburg will be tough! We’ll see in the next 100 days.

Reactions: cb2018
Man I was expecting you to throw out some out of this world numbers out there.. not to bring you down but those are good but not eye popping. So much talk, then ehhh. Also over half the QB's production to 1 receiver? Did those two players not play in the game against Salem? I'm sure they are very good players, but the best. I think very very debatable. When my older son was a Soph. he threw for 28 TD's and 2400 yds and he was the third best QB in the region that year. I love your passion for your team, but I always have to read your posts with the HYPE filter. I don't know what your paycheck is, but I think the last bet you made on here didn't go well for you.
Thing is, GW scores 500+ points with only one big time weapon at receiver. Poole does way more than throw the ball. He had 804 yards on only 102 attempts (7.9 yards a carry) with 14 TDs, throw in the 1,471 by sophomore Wesley Graves in only 7 games. Yeah they played against Salem. Poole went 7 for 21 passing too. They did an excellent job of covering Watlington (3 catches; 105 yards) all night. Wesley Graves only carried the ball 13 times which needs to be at least 25-28 carries in order to control the clock against a team like Salem. Salem figured the gameplay out early as GW tried to go for the throat on every play..Salem shut it down with disciplined play. It was over as Poole overthought and did not play like Carlos Poole plays. It’s a big learning experience for him and he’ll silence the critics up this season.

Btw, nice that you bring up Poole’s worst game of the year. I love when people talks about lineplay as if Amherst wasn't the best DL in 4a west last year before suspensions and other factors. Poole and GW scored 45 points on them with 5 starters out on offense. Look at games 1-11...Heck go watch the Heritage scrimmage.. Where’d your son go exactly if I may ask?

Last edited:
I'm not saying Poole isn't an amazing athlete, but the thread was about 4A passing games and you throw out some decent stats that aren't exactly all that impressive as far as noting them as the best. Then you make silly comments like.. I bet my paycheck blah blah. I get it you are impressed with him. My point was there are teams that have better passing games just by the numbers you threw out. Now if you want to change the thread and start talking about the Poole brothers again.. ok. I really had no idea how well Poole played against Salem, I just knew the game was 1000% different than you expected or hyped. I know your emotional so I won't keep picking on you :)

I'm not saying Poole isn't an amazing athlete, but the thread was about 4A passing games and you throw out some decent stats that aren't exactly all that impressive as far as noting them as the best. Then you make silly comments like.. I bet my paycheck blah blah. I get it you are impressed with him. My point was there are teams that have better passing games just by the numbers you threw out. Now if you want to change the thread and start talking about the Poole brothers again.. ok. I really had no idea how well Poole played against Salem, I just knew the game was 1000% different than you expected or hyped. I know your emotional so I won't keep picking on you :)
It’s You’re* btw and you know absolutely nothing about me. Where did the dynamic passer (your son) attend school? Never answered.. 49-7 Woodgrove, 48-20 Courtland and came close but no dice 63-55 JF.. I wouldn’t have even brought him into this.
My statement remains, I bet my paycheck for another dynamic duo better than Poole and Watlington. Best deep ball duo in 4a. Watch the Hudl tape.

I’ve never seen grown men get so hurt over another man’s opinion. Guess I’m supposed to say Jack and Hunter are the best QBs in order to make everyone happy :rolleyes:;)

What I see is people hyping up their team and/or family, and teams that they have seen. What do you expect? I can confidently say that I know quite a bit, and I cant tell you something about anything I haven't seen.

And while this team or that team may or may not be the best, you cant just use one thing to measure it to qualify an answer.

I dont know the situation of any of these teams, but you cant just look at numbers to say someone is the best. Why? Well a lot of factors, including opponents and how much of the game they played. One team has 10 close high scoring ball games, while the other has 7 blowouts. First team passed for 3000 yards while the other passed for 2000. Just by numbers you say the first team is 33% better. Then you find out the latter played 50% fewer quarters. Or you can even get into the system a team runs. Numbers dont lie, but they certainly dont tell the whole story.

There is absolutely no way to definitively answer the question. You can just put them all in a vacuum, with all the different factors the best that can really be said is having an effective passing game.

Back to the discussion..What returning QB had 2000 passing yards last season? I could be wrong but I believe none. Hunter E.(who is a hell of a QB, I just like talking junk to Ham) from Sherando had right around 1900 if I’m not mistaken. Maybe Lowery from EV?

It’s You’re* btw and you know absolutely nothing about me. Where did the dynamic passer (your son) attend school? Never answered.. 49-7 Woodgrove, 48-20 Courtland and came close but no dice 63-55 JF.. I wouldn’t have even brought him into this.
My statement remains, I bet my paycheck for another dynamic duo better than Poole and Watlington. Best deep ball duo in 4a. Watch the Hudl tape.

I’ve never seen grown men get so hurt over another man’s opinion. Guess I’m supposed to say Jack and Hunter are the best QBs in order to make everyone happy :rolleyes:;)

You are funny. I believe we did this last year too. I don't really need to know you all that much to know you on here. I didn't bring my son up to talk about him. My point was the numbers you brought up weren't that impression. That same year the Sherando QB and Handley QB all threw for much more impressive numbers than those. But since you brought up those games.. the JF game was something.. he threw for over 400yds and ran another 100, had 5 TDS in the air.. ahh now you have me reminiscing. He went to William and Mary as a TE.. he is 6'3" 230lbs. He has since hung the cleats up due to knee and ankle issues (tough to watch your 19yr old walk with a limp all the time). He was a brutal runner, very physical.
Anyway, this isn't about what you are trying to make it about.. I really hope GW tears it up this year, it would be cool to have you right about some of your predictions. I'll let you have the last word, but I won't reply again on this one.

Thing is, GW scores 500+ points with only one big time weapon at receiver. Poole does way more than throw the ball. He had 804 yards on only 102 attempts (7.9 yards a carry) with 14 TDs, throw in the 1,471 by sophomore Wesley Graves in only 7 games. Yeah they played against Salem. Poole went 7 for 21 passing too. They did an excellent job of covering Watlington (3 catches; 105 yards) all night. Wesley Graves only carried the ball 13 times which needs to be at least 25-28 carries in order to control the clock against a team like Salem. Salem figured the gameplay out early as GW tried to go for the throat on every play..Salem shut it down with disciplined play. It was over as Poole overthought and did not play like Carlos Poole plays. It’s a big learning experience for him and he’ll silence the critics up this season.

Btw, nice that you bring up Poole’s worst game of the year. I love when people talks about lineplay as if Amherst wasn't the best DL in 4a west last year before suspensions and other factors. Poole and GW scored 45 points on them with 5 starters out on offense. Look at games 1-11...Heck go watch the Heritage scrimmage.. Where’d your son go exactly if I may ask?
Whats your thing with Amherst DSH?You over hype us and then you used us as a stepping stone to defend your team.Amherst had no defense last year plain and simple.Our defense was terriable from the start of practice last year to the very last game.We will be back very soon trust me.

Last edited:
You are funny. I believe we did this last year too. I don't really need to know you all that much to know you on here. I didn't bring my son up to talk about him. My point was the numbers you brought up weren't that impression. That same year the Sherando QB and Handley QB all threw for much more impressive numbers than those. But since you brought up those games.. the JF game was something.. he threw for over 400yds and ran another 100, had 5 TDS in the air.. ahh now you have me reminiscing. He went to William and Mary as a TE.. he is 6'3" 230lbs. He has since hung the cleats up due to knee and ankle issues (tough to watch your 19yr old walk with a limp all the time). He was a brutal runner, very physical.
Anyway, this isn't about what you are trying to make it about.. I really hope GW tears it up this year, it would be cool to have you right about some of your predictions. I'll let you have the last word, but I won't reply again on this one.
Good for him. Sounds like he was a heck of a player and a student to get a chance to play at W&M! That crap sucks that you work hard all your life just to have an injury derail your career but at least he has the W&M education to back it. Like your son, Poole will play another position (WR) at the next level more than likely. My thing is, I really don’t care who agrees with me. I don’t post on here for likes or change who I am in order to be liked. I have zero affiliation with GW Danville other than them being a 4 minute drive from my house and watching them play my whole life. I didn’t even graduate there. Point is, with the core of players GW returns along with Poole and Watlington, they will be a force to be reckoned with and I’ll bet that Poole and Watlington numbers will be even better this year (hence my paycheck bet remark).

Reactions: mbonape1
Whats your thing with Amherst DSH?You over hype us and then you used us as a stepping stone to defend your team.Amherst had no defense last year plain and simple.Our defense was terriable from the start of practice last year to the very last game.We will be back very soon trust me.
I disagree. Amherst had the biggest and most physical D-Line I seen in 4a west last year. Note: I seen.. I didn’t say best defense, I said best line. Believe me, I know Amherst’s defense was terrible.

Last edited:
DSH told me before that he simply grew up watching the best Amherst teams of the 2000s, so it's just a personal connection thing. It's similar to how Dinwiddie fans always mention Thomas Dale, I assume it's a personal connection.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Good for him. Sounds like he was a heck of a player and a student to get a chance to play at W&M! That crap sucks that you work hard all your life just to have an injury derail your career but at least he has the W&M education to back it. Like your son, Poole will play another position (WR) at the next level more than likely. My thing is, I really don’t care who agrees with me. I don’t post on here for likes or change who I am in order to be liked. I have zero affiliation with GW Danville other than them being a 4 minute drive from my house and watching them play my whole life. I didn’t even graduate there. Point is, with the core of players GW returns along with Poole and Watlington, they will be a force to be reckoned with and I’ll bet that Poole and Watlington numbers will be even better this year (hence my paycheck bet remark).

Ok I lied one more comment. Yes the WM education was what he wanted. For him it was never about anything else. He was never that kid that wanted to play in the NFL. After his senior year, he had to have surgery on his leg just below his knee, fractured bone, two bolts. When i watched Poole's highlights, I thought same thing WR. It is very common for HS QB's to play other positions in college. Fun fact.. the year my son graduated he was 4A second team all state behind Zach Burdick. Both went to WM and neither went as a QB.

Reactions: VolNation85
I was just messing with DSH..I have nothing but love for him and G.W..I'm glad he's keeping Amherst revelant.
Your boys will be tough on us this year brother, always are! Frank Ross is coming and is going to be a show to watch! Hope to see you and Wikki in Danville on August 31! Have you heard anything about how the Rose kid is coming along at QB?

Your boys will be tough on us this year brother, always are! Frank Ross is coming and is going to be a show to watch! Hope to see you and Wikki in Danville on August 31! Have you heard anything about how the Rose kid is coming along at QB?
He will be starting QB..He has a lot to learn,only played QB for 2-3 years now..I wish he had 1 more year to seasoned but I think he has the inside track to start..I talk to Ross yesterday and his body is amazing,he said he was close to 200lbs right now..I just wish our new coach had some help..

He will be starting QB..He has a lot to learn,only played QB for 2-3 years now..I wish he had 1 more year to seasoned but I think he has the inside track to start..I talk to Ross yesterday and his body is amazing,he said he was close to 200lbs right now..I just wish our new coach had some help..
Y’all have a program. Good kids in Amherst, good people overall. I wish nothing but the best for your team. The Rose kid and Ross will be dynamic to watch. Ross is like our Poole boys and Davis from Heritage. Will get his offers towards the end of his senior season. Whoever get our 3 boys (Poole Brothers and Ross) will be getting 3 very very good players.

It should be a great test for us and your boys on 8/17! Will you be there?

Remember that just looking at numbers doesn't tell you who the "best" is. If a team can pass it and run it equally as well, they will never have the highest passing yds/TDs. Also, if you're winning 42-0 at the half most of the time, you're probably not going to be slinging it all over the place in the 2nd half.

Hunter Entsminger Sherando , junior season.
164 for 238. 68.9 completion percentage .
2,736 yards 33 td’s. 6 interceptions.
95 rushes 353 yards . 4 tds . Darn good pitcher, could be a better QB.

What do you mean "wish...had some help?" He has most of Coach Phillip's staff returning, right?

Hunter Entsminger Sherando , junior season.
164 for 238. 68.9 completion percentage .
2,736 yards 33 td’s. 6 interceptions.
95 rushes 353 yards . 4 tds . Darn good pitcher, could be a better QB.
I said good pitcher because you called Los an athlete playing QB. Come on Ham take a joke! Btw, the “athlete” at QB Lamar Jackson is going to start for the Ravens this year :D

Last edited:
What do you mean "wish...had some help?" He has most of Coach Phillip's staff returning, right?
No.Some has move on to other things and some hasn't decided to coach yet..Maybe Wikki and some of the other people can paint a pretty picture but I can't.Still a mess.

I said good pitcher because you called Los an athlete playing. Come on Ham take a joke! Btw, the “athlete” at QB Lamar Jackson is going to start for the Ravens this year :D
I am not even responding to what you said , could care less. The thread is best passing games , and I was just posting the stats.

I am not even responding to what you said , could care less. The thread is best passing games , and I was just posting the stats.
“Darn good pitcher, could be a better QB.” :confused::rolleyes:

It’s all good though. Los is a better shooting guard than he is QB (ACC caliber basketball player). It’s okay that your boy is a good pitcher.

“Darn good pitcher, could be a better QB.” :confused::rolleyes:

It’s all good though. Los is a better shooting guard than he is QB (ACC caliber basketball player). It’s okay that your boy is a good pitcher.
What I meant with had nothing to do with you or your players . I was just saying he could be a better QB than a baseball player. He just chose baseball over football after high school. Does every post on here have to be about GW? Geesh

Salem will not have gaudy numbers throwing the ball, never do. However, they will have another year of effective passing. Keeping teams from being able to load up against the run is a Salem staple. Salem will, as usual , be excellent in play action.

ADVERTISEMENT